Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,097 times

Advertisements

Do you feel like the movie industry has run out of fresh ideas? Do You feel as though we are seeing the same scripts about intergalactic battles, space superheros, alien clashes, superhuman beings, vintage creatures like dinosaurs and sharks, and fast cars?
Do you long for the day that once again we may creative and beautiful fans made for adults----pipedream right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,478 times
they have plenty of fresh ideas; most however, will not get bankrolled-- not when reboots, sequels, etc prove that even with a 100-300M upfront investment, the audience will provide a 10-20% margin---- NO MATTER WHAT QUALITY.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:02 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,149,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Do you feel like the movie industry has run out of fresh ideas?
Depends on what you choose to see.
Quote:
Do You feel as though we are seeing the same scripts about intergalactic battles, space superheros, alien clashes, superhuman beings, vintage creatures like dinosaurs and sharks, and fast cars?
I bypass almost all of those.
Quote:
Do you long for the day that once again we may creative and beautiful fans made for adults----pipedream right?
I don't understand this question.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:30 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Do you feel like the movie industry has run out of fresh ideas? Do You feel as though we are seeing the same scripts about intergalactic battles, space superheros, alien clashes, superhuman beings, vintage creatures like dinosaurs and sharks, and fast cars?
Yep.

After decades of being treated like the least favorite step-child, all of the good writers have fled to TV. All of the good, adult storytelling is on TV these days. Movies are producing product. It's a manufacturing operation.

But take heart, because TV is fan-freakin-tastic these days. No more need to go to the movies. Between Netflix, OnDemand, and your local library carrying DVDs, you have all the fantastic stories for adults you need. Just a few to recommend:

THE SOPRANOS
THE WIRE
BREAKING BAD
FARGO
WONDERFALLS
JUSTIFIED
FOYLE'S WAR
ORPHAN BLACK
HANNIBAL (Season 1 only, then you can stop.)
PUSHING DAISIES
BETTER CALL SAUL
UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT

And if you're even a little bit of a nerd, you ought to try DAREDEVIL and GAME OF THRONES. But they aren't for everybody.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 AM

828 posts, read 908,592 times
Yes, I do feel that way. If I had time for a new hobby, I would go back to the golden era of film in Hollywood. As a Gen X'er, I didn't really watch too many of those. With the decline in inspired film-making happening right now, I think it would be fun to catch up on the past movies and becoming a real movie buff.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:07 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Golden Age: 30s, 70s, early 90s

Yes cinema sucks right now. Like an earlier poster said, they're slinging product. They kicked out all the artists and brought in all the geeks for movies. The artists all went to tv.

Movies these days are theme park rides.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:20 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,967,833 times
Depends on what you want. I just want to be entertained by most movies. For an intellectual experience, books have a 70 yard head start on a 100 yard course.

Two hours is simply not enough time to do much more than entertain.

Whats wrong with entertainment? Many of us are surrounded by tragedy during our daily lives. Do I want to see more tragedy at the theater. No.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:30 AM

76 posts, read 137,741 times
Out of boredom recently I watched part of 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' on Netflix -- loud, stupid and noisy, easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Naturally it's made over one billion dollars worldwide.

I don't think Hollywood can hear how much they suck over the sound of raining dollar bills.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:43 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Whats wrong with entertainment?
Not a thing.

But there is a huge difference between entertainment of high quality JAWS, The Incredibles, STAR WARS, True Lies, The Lion King, Jurassic Park, etc. Nothing particularly deep about any of those movies, but they're all great entertainment.

But for today's summer entertainment we have AVENGERS: Age of Ultron, which is a two and a half hour video game interrupted by moments of bad dialogue. We have the TRANSFORMERS movies, which have about as much wit and intelligence as a tool box tumbling down a flight of stairs. We have JURASSIC WORLD, which is the same basic movie as Jurassic Park all over again.

Writers and directors used to care about things like a coherent plot, character development, and a lot of them even had a good ear for dialogue. Today's movies are just commercials for video games and toys and Happy Meals. When I was a kid, we loved watching a movie because there were no commercials. But today, the movie is the commercial.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
The movie business is all about pushing products; cars, video games, theme park rides, clothes, music, and even army recruiting and statue quo propaganda. Movies have always done this but now its blatant. They're not even trying to be subtle.

Coherent, complex, and nuanced story telling that challenges us to think about the society we live in is dead unless you can find it at your local art house cinema.

Even entertaining action and comedies we grew up with had good stories. Jurassic park was the summer blockbuster of its day for the whole family but it was well written and made sense! Jurassic world makes no sense. You have really really turn your mind completely off to enjoy it and even then it's so over the top incoherent that it takes you out of the film.

Most mainstream movies these days are really highly glossed over B movies with an over hypes marketing machine behind them. If you challenge that then you're called a "film snob".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies