Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't know why people care about numbers, do we really enjoy helping big movie execs count money? We should enjoy the movies and not get carried away with box office numbers that has nothing to do with the quality of a movie.

Remember John Carter? It was similar to SW but it failed because the script and story didn't glue people. Had Hans Solo not appeared, this movie had a familiar feel to John Carter.

Some of the most remember-able movies are ones that didn't hit big.
I think you are a bit off on that. John Carter while good wasn't as deep as this was even if you didn't have the Star Wars ties with the older characters. There was something special with the new cast and through the assault with trailers that Carter couldn't grasp despite Andrew Stanton after nailing several Pixar movies both as writer and director.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 11:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I got out after Return of The Jedi.
WHAT?! You didn't buy into the little forest muppets defeating a galactic empire?!

Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Remember John Carter? It was similar to SW but it failed because the script and story didn't glue people. Had Hans Solo not appeared, this movie had a familiar feel to John Carter.
John Carter was improperly promoted in multiple ways. Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom chronicles constitute some fantastic fiction (some of which George Luca$ no doubt helped himself to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think you are a bit off on that. John Carter while good wasn't as deep as this was even if you didn't have the Star Wars ties with the older characters. There was something special with the new cast and through the assault with trailers that Carter couldn't grasp despite Andrew Stanton after nailing several Pixar movies both as writer and director.
I disagree. The Force Awakens is a fun romp, but its linear narrative serves primarily to induce a "fangasm," above any other purpose. John Carter was fairly well done, but I'm not surprised it didn't succeed. In spite of the failure to market it properly, everyone I know who saw the movie liked it.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:27 AM

I agree that John Carter wasn't marketed nowhere as near as good as Star Wars was. That said, the plot of John Carter wasn't as layered and deep in THIS version. I imagine the books was much much better at layering but Andrew Stanton couldn't get that from this take on it and I actually liked the action. It was a popcorn flick, but Force Awakens was a much more balanced film.

As for the money, that is the typical tell if we see movies revisited with sequels within two to five years or even a decade instead of reboots at the least two decades later (though there are some exceptions which are typically comic book movies.)

Old 12-21-2015, 07:57 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
I will not be in line for it. It's been a big success . But I won't be seeing it , no interest at all.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I agree that John Carter wasn't marketed nowhere as near as good as Star Wars was. That said, the plot of John Carter wasn't as layered and deep in THIS version. I imagine the books was much much better at layering but Andrew Stanton couldn't get that from this take on it and I actually liked the action. It was a popcorn flick, but Force Awakens was a much more balanced film.

For those who feel The Force Awakens hits all the beats they like, there's a reason for that, as this article shows:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 5 ways the new movie copies the original film - Vox

Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
For those who feel The Force Awakens hits all the beats they like, there's a reason for that, as this article shows:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 5 ways the new movie copies the original film - Vox
It is a small knock I have on it but it is a 5-star movie to me none the less and my third favorite film of the year.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
It is a small knock I have on it but it is a 5-star movie to me none the less and my third favorite film of the year.
I enjoyed it, and will likely see it again in the theater. I rate it a 7/10 for story/acting (some actors were better than others, some didn't get the opportunity to shine), and a 9/10 for cinematography/VFX, for an average of 8/10.

I feel this movie had the potential to become one of the greatest SF movies to date, and JJ missed that opportunity. Either way, it's a beautiful-looking film, and I did come away liking the new characters.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
<raising my hand>
I will not be in line for the Star Wars Movie,™
If there's ticket money to spare in our household, we spend it on a local production of live theater.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I enjoyed it, and will likely see it again in the theater. I rate it a 7/10 for story/acting (some actors were better than others, some didn't get the opportunity to shine), and a 9/10 for cinematography/VFX, for an average of 8/10.

I feel this movie had the potential to become one of the greatest SF movies to date, and JJ missed that opportunity. Either way, it's a beautiful-looking film, and I did come away liking the new characters.
I rate it above the two third entries of the trilogies (Sith and Jedi) but below Empire and the original. I already saw it twice and looking to see it at least one more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies