Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,633,179 times

Advertisements

This doesn't look too bad but it seems kind of comical. My god, MR is broken down though.

Watch The Wrestler - MovieWeb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,366,591 times
I am pulling for Mickey Rourke. I loved his early work. His small role in Body Heat as the ex-con who shows William Hurt how to rig a bomb, his hipster gambler in Diner working all the angles, his neighborhood ne'er do well in Pope of Greenwich Village trying to out maneuver his bad stars; but then, just at the cusp of stardom, just when he had Hollywood where he wanted it, what does he do? He decides to become a professional boxer, deep into his 30's! As someone who's been around the game, I knew at the time he was taking a move like that lightly, was making that error of judgment between perception and first hand reality, a error we have all at times, but one that could bring a heavy price to pay when the activity is to be something as unforgiving as the fight game...

The way I heard it is he has a plate in his head from that little adventure and that could explain the drastic deterioration in his looks. Since then he's been in mostly low budget films, usually cast as a character dwelling on the fringe of society. If I'm not mistaken, he was paid well under scale for his work in The Wrestler, but was guaranteed an Oscar consideration by the movie's director.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,313,251 times
Just watched Mickey Rourke on Biography last night. Always liked him.

But did wonder how his looks changed so much in the last while, and the plate in his head and the boxing must be the reasons .. thanks ExPit for the explanations.

Bio mentioned how disgusted and disenchanted he became with the movie industry, as he was very serious about his work, and couldn't believe when producers would cut scenes or endings at random .. sacrificing artist creativity and integrity for the almight dollar.

Man, he was one handsome hombre in the old days, wasn't he?

Old 11-27-2008, 12:57 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,366,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Just watched Mickey Rourke on Biography last night. Always liked him.

But did wonder how his looks changed so much in the last while, and the plate in his head and the boxing must be the reasons .. thanks ExPit for the explanations.

Bio mentioned how disgusted and disenchanted he became with the movie industry, as he was very serious about his work, and couldn't believe when producers would cut scenes or endings at random .. sacrificing artist creativity and integrity for the almight dollar.

Man, he was one handsome hombre in the old days, wasn't he?
Alotta style he had too. I was a little skeptical when I heard they'd made a movie of Vince Patrick's novel, "Pope of Greenwich Village." I loved the book, it hit home for me as, though I didn't grow up in NYC, where I grew up in Pittsburgh it was mostly Italian, I have a real affinity for that kind of lifestyle, it was what I saw all around me. Heard Eric Roberts say, not long after that movie was made that most of the scenes were improvised, as that's how it is, when you work with Mickey. I thought Rourke did a good job, thought Roberts was a bit over the top, though that was the nature of the character he was playing. If you haven't seen it, check it out, not a great movie, but loaded with atmosphere and style. Burt Young, Paulie in the Rocky movies, is perfect as the "Pope," a mob guy who has it in for Rourke and Roberts afte he finds out they rob his trucking company to the tune of 150 large!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:05 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,550,819 times
Looks like he went back into boxing..his face is always swollen...or should i say went back to botoxing.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 AM

7,065 posts, read 3,107,539 times
Mickey Rourke used to be one of the best looking men in Hollywood. Actually in my opinion he was the best looking man in Hollywood. Aside from his face surgeries trying to fix what was damaged due to boxing, I think his looks deteriorating are also due to his heavy drinking and drug use in the past.

Everytime I see Guy Ritchie I see Mickey's face. Those 2 look so much alike.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
It's funny but when Bruce Willis first appeared on TV I thought "whose this guy doing the low-rent Mickey Rourke imitation?" Funny how things work out, eh?

I think Rourke's best picture was "Barfly".

Old 12-31-2008, 03:02 PM

461 posts, read 797,829 times
Botox and bad plastic surgery, I can't even look at him

Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,107,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's funny but when Bruce Willis first appeared on TV I thought "whose this guy doing the low-rent Mickey Rourke imitation?" Funny how things work out, eh?

I think Rourke's best picture was "Barfly".
As far as Bruce Willis, I thought the same thing. lol

I like Barfly as well. Some of his others I like are Diner, 9 1/2 Weeks, Year of the Dragon and Johnny Handsome. Some of those aren't the most well-acted movies but he was just so darn good looking. I will give him a pass.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
I liked Year of the Dragon and Johhny Handsome too. Johhny Handsome is a Walter Hill picture, I like Hill's stuff. He made our buddy Willis's best picture---Last Man Standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies