Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

After reading several glowing reviews by many critics before going to see SW: TFA on opening night. I simply cannot believe that a movie that is heavily flawed gets a 93% score on Rotten Tomatoes and that so many reviewers gave utterly dishonest reviews even by their own standards.

Forget the movie's story and plot. Judging the movie from a production value, it had serious holes in the material, directing, dialogues, and even CGI were not up to par.

I wrote in another thread that after New Year's Day when Disney is done counting their billion dollar the critics will be free to give some criticism and sure enough Lucas himself and some other critics have started the criticism this is all in order for Disney to make the most money without early criticism effecting their ticket sales.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...george-awakens

As much as I disliked some of Lucas's last few SW movies. I think the Prequels were entertaining had they done some better cutting and rearranging of the scenes to give a better flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:01 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
It's 93% "because it's Star Wars."

That's why I don't cite Rotten Tomatoes. For anything. I use BoxOfficeMojo for film grosses and for audience ratings, IMDb (there, The Force Awakens has fallen from a pre-release 9.2/10 to a current 8.5/10, which is still a very good score).

Old 01-05-2016, 01:50 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
People were either going to see Star Wars or they weren't. What critics said had no influence on that. People who read reviews were looking for fodder for their endless rants on the subject.

I had a good time watching the movie. It was fun. It met my expectations.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:03 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,206 times
I didn't get to see it because the holidays and other family/medical issues kept me busy. While I was away visiting family, my friend saw it with her son. She basically told me to wait until it comes on DVD or cable. lol She went in with the expectation that it would be like the original Star Wars we saw as kids, and it didn't live up to that.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:20 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Yes it had huge holes in it but I still enjoyed watching it and would still give it an 8 out of 10. I watch movies to be entertained and Star Wars entertained me.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
After reading several glowing reviews by many critics before going to see SW: TFA on opening night. I simply cannot believe that a movie that is heavily flawed gets a 93% score on Rotten Tomatoes and that so many reviewers gave utterly dishonest reviews even by their own standards.

Forget the movie's story and plot. Judging the movie from a production value, it had serious holes in the material, directing, dialogues, and even CGI were not up to par.

I wrote in another thread that after New Year's Day when Disney is done counting their billion dollar the critics will be free to give some criticism and sure enough Lucas himself and some other critics have started the criticism this is all in order for Disney to make the most money without early criticism effecting their ticket sales.

The George Awakens - The New Yorker

As much as I disliked some of Lucas's last few SW movies. I think the Prequels were entertaining had they done some better cutting and rearranging of the scenes to give a better flow.
Critics have sank Disney movies before (and rightfully so,) The Lone Ranger anyone? Lone Ranger could have been a Pirates of the Caribbean for westerns but the critics panned it and then it bombed. Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 31% critic rating. It only made 35.5 million on top of it's 225m budget for a 260m box office. Today The Force Awakens surpassed Avatar's entire US run. By this point Avatar hit 374m of it's 760m, 50% of its domestic take.

I get it you and others on here didn't like it, for me it is my [s]fifth[/s] fourth favorite movie of the year after The Hateful Eight, Inside Out and The Martian. I didn't notice the holes or production value. I sometimes wonder if some people just look for those. I don't, unless the movie just isn't enjoyable or captivating The Good Dinosaur and The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials for instance.

Last edited by mkpunk; 01-05-2016 at 08:30 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I get it you and others on here didn't like it, for me it is my fifth favorite movie of the year after The Hateful Eight, Inside Out and The Martian.
That's four movies. I hope that the missing entry is (at the very least) Mad Max: Fury Road.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's four movies. I hope that the missing entry is (at the very least) Mad Max: Fury Road.
Fourth I flubbed, and no. I have that 22nd. It wasn't too enjoyable especially upon first viewing. I was underwhelmed until I saw the IMAX re-release. Any film that I have to re-watch to truly enjoy is a bit of a knock on the film. Great, amazing action but I wasn't WOWed by it like many were.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:31 PM

22nd? How on Earth can you rate 21 entire movies ahead of that? LOL.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
22nd? How on Earth can you rate 21 entire movies ahead of that? LOL.
Film is subjective. I recognize it's amazement though I don't think it was what others saw in it. I just simply wasn't wowed by it the first time. On second thought I can put it 19th. As I said when I updated, I cannot say a film is great when it doesn't do it for me in a first viewing and a second needs it. But you are going to complain about having The Hateful Eight, Inside Out, The Martian, Ex Machina, Kingsmen: The Secret Service, Me, and Earl, and the dying girl, Creed, Southpaw, The Intern, Love & Mercy and The Peanuts Movie over it, maybe you take your movie loving too seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies