Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times

Advertisements

An amazing drama on survival of a young boy in the midst of civil war in west Africa. I saw Revenant in Dec. of last year and I can't help but have the same response - extremely well done, intense, emotional, and epic. However I am placing this movie slightly higher than Revenant and Idris Elba's performance at the same level as DiCapro/Hardy - meaning they all acted their @ss's off, but the story in Beasts of No Nation was just more powerful to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
This movie likely won't get much play in most towns in US
Both for subject matter which is something most Americans don't have much interest in and because frankly Idris not an actor most Americans are familiar with--
He is a GREAT actor--don't get me wrong--
Would go see this if it played in my area--
But it likely won't
And YES--definitely one case where marketability made big difference in Academy nominations

Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Idris was the one TRUE black Oscar snub this year. He was brilliant in Beasts.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Idris was the one TRUE black Oscar snub this year. He was brilliant in Beasts.
That was mainly because it was a Netflix film and I believe he was a supporting role and Best Supporting Actor was a bit stacked. And people wonder why I want the Oscar nominations expanded...

Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Idris is a fabulous actor.

Check him out in "Some Time In April," next time you feel like crying over a movie.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:34 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This movie likely won't get much play in most towns in US
Both for subject matter which is something most Americans don't have much interest in and because frankly Idris not an actor most Americans are familiar with--
He is a GREAT actor--don't get me wrong--
Would go see this if it played in my area--
But it likely won't
And YES--definitely one case where marketability made big difference in Academy nominations
it's a netflix production

Old 01-25-2016, 02:51 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
I really liked Beasts of No Nation as well. It was bleak and well-acted. The stories aren't really comparable, though. The political situation in the west African countries is more familiar to us than an apocryphal story from the early 1800s. But they both featured protagonists doing whatever they can to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That was mainly because it was a Netflix film and I believe he was a supporting role and Best Supporting Actor was a bit stacked. And people wonder why I want the Oscar nominations expanded...
Yeah, exactly. Both Idris Elba and Abraham Attah were amazing and would've gotten serious attention if this wasn't a Netflix movie. Unfortunate that the Academy kinda ignored it for that reason. Cary Joji Fukunaga's direction was also awesome.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:21 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Beasts of No Nation wasn't as good as Blood Diamond which also takes place in an African civil war. It wasn't a good movie, but I didn't find it Oscar worthy. I haven't seen Revenent.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Idris is a fabulous actor.

Check him out in "Some Time In April," next time you feel like crying over a movie.
Sometimes in April was a much better film than Beasts of No Nation.

The subject matter of Beasts is, of course, compelling. It's tough to call any movie about atrocities a bad movie. But this isn't a good movie imo. I thought it was just okay.

I feel like we've had enough depressing movies about Africa. You would think that people don't have any experiences there beyond starvation and war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies