Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:10 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's a point I made earlier. As this story goes (and perhaps it was in the original--just not as clear), Shere Khan is actually right.
Saw it today, and I was totally blown away by the CGI. I've been waiting to hear a real-looking Bagheera speak since I was 4 years old, and finally it came to pass! And the Mowgli actor wasn't too bad IMO, he's just a little kid who looks the part, and for Part 2 he will have grown bigger, and better at acting (hopefully).

I was prepared for this to just be a remake of the animated movie, but it was gratifying that there were actually also elements of Kipling's version in there, such as the Law of the Jungle, and the Peace Rock. But I guess I may have to wait another couple of decades for somebody to make a true-to-Kipling Jungle Book movie:
Book spoilers:
Spoiler
Kaa is a good guy. Baloo is old and wise. Mowgli's human parents are alive. Bagheera was raised in a zoo. Mowgli kills Shere Kahn through careful planning, and enlisting the help of other animals. And he skins him, and takes the hide to the council rock. There is no King Louie. And so forth.

The book does have a moral, to beware of humans and their destructive manners--pretty much what Shere Kahn is saying in the film, but in the book it is Akela and the other wolves who make that point.

I was actually impressed that the elephants
Spoiler
were not personalized, except for the baby. No Col. Hathi!

It would have been so tempting to make another comedy bit out of them, but instead they were very aloof, and even spiritual.

But I have to say that the credits had me in stitches. Best credit sequence I've seen in a long time! If you go see the movie, don't rush out at the end. Stay for the first section of credits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 05:10 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Going this weekend excited when I was a kid I watched the cartoon film now I go with my kid.
The 1967 film or the 2003 film? I didn't see the 2003 film but years ago I watched the 1967. I've never seen the 2016 film either since I am not a big TV person.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:54 PM

735 posts, read 1,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Saw it today, and I was totally blown away by the CGI. I've been waiting to hear a real-looking Bagheera speak since I was 4 years old, and finally it came to pass! And the Mowgli actor wasn't too bad IMO, he's just a little kid who looks the part, and for Part 2 he will have grown bigger, and better at acting (hopefully).

I was prepared for this to just be a remake of the animated movie, but it was gratifying that there were actually also elements of Kipling's version in there, such as the Law of the Jungle, and the Peace Rock. But I guess I may have to wait another couple of decades for somebody to make a true-to-Kipling Jungle Book movie:
Book spoilers:
Spoiler
Kaa is a good guy. Baloo is old and wise. Mowgli's human parents are alive. Bagheera was raised in a zoo. Mowgli kills Shere Kahn through careful planning, and enlisting the help of other animals. And he skins him, and takes the hide to the council rock. There is no King Louie. And so forth.

The book does have a moral, to beware of humans and their destructive manners--pretty much what Shere Kahn is saying in the film, but in the book it is Akela and the other wolves who make that point.

I was actually impressed that the elephants
Spoiler
were not personalized, except for the baby. No Col. Hathi!

It would have been so tempting to make another comedy bit out of them, but instead they were very aloof, and even spiritual.

But I have to say that the credits had me in stitches. Best credit sequence I've seen in a long time! If you go see the movie, don't rush out at the end. Stay for the first section of credits!
It was a good movie. Now that puts incredible amount of pressure on Warner Brothers' version that is coming out next year. Will it be as good?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
I saw it this weekend and thought it was great!

Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
It was a good movie. Now that puts incredible amount of pressure on Warner Brothers' version that is coming out next year. Will it be as good?
I hope it will be good, but very different. Too many people know only the Disney adaptation of the story, and though that version is charming, the Kipling's original is much wilder, stranger, and more compelling.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I hope it will be good, but very different. Too many people know only the Disney adaptation of the story, and though that version is charming, the Kipling's original is much wilder, stranger, and more compelling.
I had no idea there was a British Jungle Book movie in the works! That makes my inner child very happy! I read up about it, and aside from the renaming of Raksha it sounds like a reasonably faithful Kipling story.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:20 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
I liked how they ended the movie and changed by not having Mowgli go to the village. Have not seen the other movies besides the Disney one or read the book to know if the others end like this but to me it makes more sense a boy raised in the jungle would be better off in the jungle. Feral children do not do well in society with other humans.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:21 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I liked how they ended the movie and changed by not having Mowgli go to the village. Have not seen the other movies besides the Disney one or read the book to know if the others end like this but to me it makes more sense a boy raised in the jungle would be better off in the jungle. Feral children do not do well in society with other humans.
I suspect they left that option for the sequel.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:42 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
The main theme of Kipling's story is that ultimately humans need human society, and that in the end is what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. Mowgli eventually leaves the jungle because as a grown man he has human needs and desires that simply can't be met there, and those needs can't be ignored forever. He may have been raised by wolves, but in the end he is not and never can be a wolf, and so he finally goes back to his own kind.

"Man goes to Man at the last, though the Jungle does not cast him out.”

Old 05-13-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The main theme of Kipling's story is that ultimately humans need human society, and that in the end is what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. Mowgli eventually leaves the jungle because as a grown man he has human needs and desires that simply can't be met there, and those needs can't be ignored forever. He may have been raised by wolves, but in the end he is not and never can be a wolf, and so he finally goes back to his own kind.

"Man goes to Man at the last, though the Jungle does not cast him out.”
Exactly. In The Second Jungle Book there is a final Mowgli story, "In the Rook," I think it was called. Mowgli is an adult, handsome man who falls in love. With a human woman! But as a kid I hated that story because it just reduced him to a normal man who gets a job and a wife, instead of the magic boy of the forest...

I like to see it as a symbolic story of a young person getting in touch with their wild side, and using it to become a better adult--but it is also a wonderful fantasy of having the animal world of the Jungle be more sensible than the unpredictable, irrational world of humans. Flipping traditional views! Despite the un-Kiplingesque versions of the book from Disney and Hollywood, I'm so glad that the stories of Mowgli live on. There's always going to be a grain of the original story about the thrill of growing up in the jungle. And by the way, his name is pronounced Mow-gli, like cow and now, not Mow, like rowboat. Kipling himself said so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies