Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 06:21 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

I saw "Inferno" this afternoon, and much was as I expected, until the end where it diverged 180 degrees from the book. The ending of the book was, IMO, the whole reason for the book to have been written. Since most people have neither read the book nor seen the movie at this point, I have to use a major spoiler.

Do NOT open the spoiler unless you want the cliffhanger plotline spoiled:

Spoiler
The book ends with the plague already having been released; the effects of the plague being a sterilization of a large percentage of the population, bringing future populations down to a sustainable level without actively killing people in war, famine, natural disaster, or hemorrhagic plague. Obviously, such an ending is controversial and designed to encourage bringing the issue of excess population to the consciousness of the general public. By having the movie end with the plague contained, it plays to the sanguine head-in-the-sand response and doesn't offend the religious, thus insuring some money at the box office and little hate mail. It is the type of cop-out that Hollywood has acceded to repeatedly over the years.

The book is longish, but I would choose it over the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
It's the first Brown book I did not read...saw Inferno at 10 am! Reclining seat, $7...
what a deal from the East Coast!
It kept my attention...I liked it, for sure , I think people will enjoy it.
I did like the first 2 better.
The young girl is very pretty...don't believe I had seen her before...neither had I seen
the only other female from the WHO. Good casting, imo.
Black actor from the WHO was excellent.
OH!And the Indian actor in the $1000 suit...
fabulous cast.
Good music.
As a critic said...it was an advertisement to visit Italy.
Liked the resolutions at the end, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies