Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I went to go see John Wick 2. And it was entertaining like the first one. The premise is so flimsy, my friend summed it up perfectly. John Wick is just super petty. He was all set to relax in retirement and some fools stole his car - revenge on.

Did you watch? What did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I went to go see John Wick 2. And it was entertaining like the first one. The premise is so flimsy, my friend summed it up perfectly. John Wick is just super petty. He was all set to relax in retirement and some fools stole his car - revenge on.

Well, a lot less petty than the first movie. In the second movie, he finally declared "peace" after quelling the resistance to reclaiming his car.

The real plot started when he was forced to fulfill an obligation, then double-crossed after fulfilling the obligation. It's not petty when someone blows up your house and then threatens to put out a multi-million bounty on your head if you don't do what he wants....and then he places a bounty on your head anyway because you did what he wanted.

Don't construe my comments as a glowing review of the movie, btw.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:03 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
It was epic!

Can't wait for Chapter 3.

Did eva langoria produce this again?

They don't make movies these like this anymore. Reminds me of hard boiled.

I miss the imdb messageboards

Old 02-21-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
It was epic!

Can't wait for Chapter 3.

Did eva langoria produce this again?

They don't make movies these like this anymore. Reminds me of hard boiled.

I miss the imdb messageboards
True. I miss this sort of take no prisoners action movie that has a lot of style and swag.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
I liked it. My favorite part was the expansion of the Assassin's Guild. Loved the "Accounts Receivable" department with the all-female staff dressed in pinup attire -- pink sleeveless shirts and black pencil skirts and tons of tattoos. I thought it was great that the Operator used those old-fashioned connections (where you plug the cord into a board to connect the call) and the pneumatic tubes. We see that the Continental is also in Rome. Makes me think maybe there's one in every major city. And I'm intrigued by the relationship between the hotels and the Council. The one guy (who sits on the Council) tries to tell Winston (at the Continental) what to do, and Winston shuts him down. So is the Continental subject to the Council, or vice versa, or do they operate in an interconnected but independent fashion? The whole thing is just a cool concept. Great mythology, I guess.

And the homage to the pencil slayings referenced in the first movie made me laugh.

I was glad that #2 wasn't a complete reiteration of #1, but still had a lot of what made #1 great. Number three seems like impossible odds, though. How's he gonna survive this?!

Some good casting, especially the staff of the Continental.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I never saw the first one, so might have missed some references to the first one throughout this movie.

But I loved John Wick 2, so over the top but not too cartoony, if that's possible. That opening sequence set the tone for the rest of the movie. I laughed out loud at several points in the movie. Reeves certainly put his all into this role with physical intensity I haven't seen in a while. Definitely one of the most violent movies I've seen, at points it was like watching a video game. But not in a bad way.

The ending was great too.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I never saw the first one, so might have missed some references to the first one throughout this movie.

But I loved John Wick 2, so over the top but not too cartoony, if that's possible. That opening sequence set the tone for the rest of the movie. I laughed out loud at several points in the movie. Reeves certainly put his all into this role with physical intensity I haven't seen in a while. Definitely one of the most violent movies I've seen, at points it was like watching a video game. But not in a bad way.

The ending was great too.
You should watch the first one too. They are continuous but you didn't lose much context starting with the second one.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:06 AM

59 posts, read 33,107 times
I have to admit that the movie totally blew me away.
The cast is brilliant and the actors did a wonderful job.
That is what an action movie should be-intense, dark and spectacular with an engaging plot.
It reminded me a bit of "Crank"with Jason Statham but its a lot better.
In fact I happen to run a small movie reviews website and I shared my impressions about the flick here
Feel free to check it out if you want.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

The car was a continuation of the first John Wick with the Russians, consider it like a pre-credit sequence. The story of John Wick chapter 2 actually starts when he was "stop lossed" by another mob boss calling in his marker. I guess the thought was the revenge mission in the first movie made null and void the retirement terms.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:45 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The car was a continuation of the first John Wick with the Russians, consider it like a pre-credit sequence.

Yes. And that ended when Wick declared "peace" short of killing the mob boss.

Quote:
The story of John Wick chapter 2 actually starts when he was "stop lossed" by another mob boss calling in his marker. I guess the thought was the revenge mission in the first movie made null and void the retirement terms.

That's how I took it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies