Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:08 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,170,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But how many people had heard of Ant Man or Doctor Strange before they were given stand alone movies? I don't feel like a character needs to be a household name in order to do well. You think everyone who goes to see every Avenger movie was a big fans of Iron Man before those movies came out? Or knew about Guardians of the Galaxy before those movies? I doubt it.
I guess it is the expectation of success we are talking about. Captain Marvel had always been on the schedule but pushed back along with Black Panther when Marvel got the job to reboot Spider Man. In the end I guess the money men will hope for a repeat of Ant -Man but do not expect it to be the big movie of the year, or its season. But they won't be unhappy should it become a surprise hit like Guardian of The Galaxy did.

Ms. Marvel on the other hand since the latest is a Muslim inspired by the Captain Marvel before she adopted a military rank instead of Ms. as an honorific often gets mentioned as a possible addition to the TV side of the MCU, perhaps sliding into the Agents of SHIELD spot when its run finally ends most likely after next season.

From the comics no woman matches Wonder Woman, Marvel's first women Sue Richards of the Fantastic Four and The Wasp of The Avengers are almost sidekicks. Storm and Jean Grey/Phoenix of the X-Men are second bananas to Wolverine. So you have to go to other sources like Ripley of the Alien franchise, Sarah Connor of the Terminator franchise or maybe Lara Croft from video games turned movies being the only title character instead of a xenomorph or robot.

Last edited by Taiko; 06-06-2017 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
For most of the Captain Marvel's very varied history--including the animation and live-action versions--the character has been male. But there was even a black female "Captain Marvel" for a time and a different permutation ever couple of years as Marvel reboots the name to retain the trademark.
And how does that keep Captain Marvel from recieving the same buzz from the Marvel universe that other lesser known characters have received? I doubt the average movie goer is going to care about the different changes the character has undergone through Captain Marvel's history.

Marvel fanboys will know, but they're going to skip a marvel movie just because the character has been male, or a black female in the past?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Correct. But don't confuse the non-readers, haha. The Captain Marvel of the movie due in 2019 is a she.
And specifically that "she" is Carol Danvers, so its not like Marvel is creating a whole new character that no one has ever heard of for the Captain Marvel movie.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Quote:
But how many people had heard of Ant Man or Doctor Strange before they were given stand alone movies? I don't feel like a character needs to be a household name in order to do well. You think everyone who goes to see every Avenger movie was a big fans of Iron Man before those movies came out? Or knew about Guardians of the Galaxy before those movies? I doubt it.
I did, from the comics and the cartoons.

Came across Doctor Strange in an issue of the Avengers vs the Defenders. Ant Man was in the Captain American segments, when he was in those modern times, of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvel_Super_Heroes . Iron Man was sourced to the same cartoons.

Now, as far as the Guardians of the Galaxy.......never heard of them till recent.

Things vary, of course. Crystal, for example, I know only from the comics......and because this situation
Old Fantastic Four Comic Book
is "a basic concept in my psychological makeup" (best way to put it in a few words).

I suppose it can come down if "they" are interesting enough for us to spend our money on their comics that decides if they get a movie......assuming, of course, that getting a movie is in our interest. In my case, them getting a movie (or a TV series) is the last thing I want to see.

Why? The comics allow us to expand our imaginations around them, perhaps only using a few images. When things get into big productions, which may include the comics as well, our favs are exposed to being changed in ways that we may not like.

I like, for instance, my Alanna and Adam Strange when they were a couple doing the adventures. While I was hungry for more, finding that they were married, that she was pregnant, that she didn't even speak English anymore (as in https://www.etsy.com/listing/2274620...oore-dc-comics ) was quite disappointing........to say nothing about eventually being "sacrificed".

True, we are talking the video world here, but sometimes................

Old 06-07-2017, 08:52 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,626,473 times
Quote:
And specifically that "she" is Carol Danvers, so its not like Marvel is creating a whole new character that no one has ever heard of for the Captain Marvel movie.
Either way, it won't matter to the GA. In Post #28, I said Captain Marvel (Danvers) was initially called Ms. Marvel (debut: 1977). "Ms." was swapped out for "Captain" in the 2000s after a storyline where Scarlet Witch manufactured a subconscious (and very false) reality for Carol, who wanted desperately to be known as the greatest superhero on the planet.

Danvers underwent a transformation in the early '80s — following abduction/impregnation by Marcus (son of Avengers foe, Immortus) — which resulted in a new look and name (Binary) following voluntary experimentation on her by the Brood (an alien race the X-Men fought). Later, she reverted back to CM, but also used the name Warbird in the 90s when she rejoined the Avengers.

Since Marvel doesn't have film rights to the X-Men and their nemeses, expect to see none of the above in a movie(s).

I still find Marvel's choice to use Captain Marvel for their first standalone female-centric feature to be suspect. I think she's going to be little more than a convenient offensive weapon against the Kree and Thanos. Danvers' power set is massive, approaching Superman levels in her flight, strength and ability to focus energy. Her signature power is the ability to tap the energy of a "white hole." She can also effectively emulate a nuke, which would be very handy in eliminating an aggregated threat like an armada.

However, her powers were originally derived from the Kree warrior Mar-Vell (aka Walter Lawson). If he isn't present in the movie in some form, Danvers will just get her powers some other way.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
I don't admire accomplishments of superhero types (male or female) bc they have supernatural/godlike powers.

Meh.

I like the regular folks who work hard or take risks. Not many movies about these folks.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:01 AM

28,685 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't admire accomplishments of superhero types (male or female) bc they have supernatural/godlike powers.

Meh.

I like the regular folks who work hard or take risks. Not many movies about these folks.
This is not the thread you're looking for.

But the vast majority of movies produced in any given year are about more-or-less "normal" folks.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is not the thread you're looking for.

But the vast majority of movies produced in any given year are about more-or-less "normal" folks.
Yeah, but not doing awesome stuff.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Now, as far as the Guardians of the Galaxy.......never heard of them till recent.
You mean you wouldn't recognize these guys if you saw them?

(L-R: L-R: Vance Astro, Charlie-27, Matinex T-Naga, Yondu.)

The Guardians in the movie look nothing like those guys, because that team is based on Marvel's 2008 reboot. The characters had appeared individually, in different titles, with the oldest being Groot (whose first appearance was akin to a "giant monster of the month" feature). Those stories were collected in this trade edition.

Quote:
Collecting: Incredible Hulk (1968) #271, Annual #5, Iron Man (1968) #55, Captain Marvel (1968) #27-33, 43-44, 58-62, Strange Tales (1951) #180-181, Warlock (1972) #9-11, 15, Avengers (1963) #219-220, Annual #7, Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2, Marvel Preview #11, Marvel Spotlight (1979) #1-2, 6-7, Marvel Premiere #61,Rocket Raccoon (1985) #1-4, Star-Lord Special Edition & more!!
(I really like the old Star-Lord stories, too.)

https://www.budsartbooks.com/guardia...ibus-1236.html

^Btw, that's an 8x11 hardcover...1122 pages thick!

P.S. Here's some trivia. Jim Starlin, creator of Thanos, Drax and Gamora, received a royalty check from Warner Bros. (for use of his character Anatoli Knyyazev aka the KGBeast in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice) that was larger than all the royalties he has received for the use of his characters in Marvel's movies..combined!

https://www.newsarama.com/32861-batm...-combined.html

Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, but not doing awesome stuff.
You want more Batman. Don't worry. We're getting mo' Batman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies