Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:20 PM

184 posts, read 1,544,948 times

Advertisements

I'll watch anything starring either Harrison Ford (which is not saying they were ALL good movies!) or Richard Armitage. Re: the mention of Tim Burton, normally the identity of the director has no influence in whether or not I see a movie, except in this one case. I realize many people love his work but I have been totally and completely put off by every film of his that I saw, and got to the point where if it's a Tim Burton movie, that's reason enough for me to NOT see it. Just way too weird and quirky for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
I'll watch any Goldie Hawn movie at least once.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:19 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
I will watch anything with Tom Hanks or Johnny Depp in it.

I will watch any movie associated with M. Night Shymalan or Quentin Taratino.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

Me too to all of those guys, except M. Night - but that's only because Ive only seen The Sixth Sense.

I'll watch any movie involving Erich von Stroheim. Directed by, starring, featuring, talking about. He's probably my favorite director. I can't understand why "Greed" is not out on DVD.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Loved Shallow Grave. Saw that one in the theater.

I'll see anything by Paul Verhoeven.
I might not absolutely be enthralled by every last thing he comes up with, but for me his talent is such that I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Shallow Grave has a lot of good reviews at Netflix, for instance, from reviewer TR 1260704:
"This is one of those amazing diamonds you discover amdidst all the coal. It is a brilliantly made, tightly plotted, very sick and twisted, edge of the seat thriller with unexpected comedy by the genius who later did Trainspotting. Except this is better than Trainspotting. It is delightful in its perversity. Very little violence, no blood and gore, no sex or nudity, but this will really get under your skin. The acting is extraordinary. Rent it. If you like Indies, you won't be disappointed."

Whoa! How can you say no!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

Definately Quentin Tarantino. Death Proof, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Natural Born Killers...

Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,453 times
I'll piggy back my Tim Burton with a Robert Altman, rest his soul. Those of you that find Tim strange, it's probably a visual thing... Robert is strange to the ear. And that's fun too.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
I'll piggy back my Tim Burton with a Robert Altman, rest his soul. Those of you that find Tim strange, it's probably a visual thing... Robert is strange to the ear. And that's fun too.
I can take some Altman but definitely not all. My favorite Altmans are all from the 70s, nothing after...
Thieves Like Us - one of my very favorite films
The Long Goodbye - just absolutely love it, dont know why
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
MASH and Popeye - there's your Altman sound!

Never understood the brouhaha about Nashville...

Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by b. frank
Quote:
Good one - me too. Didn't Moore try to separate himself from that mess of a film: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? That movie sucks and I generally don't trust Hollywood with comic book adaptations (even though I see every one).
Still, as his writing goes, Moore has earned my absolute trust.
Yep, if I'm not mistaken LOEG was the movie that made Moore vow to never have anything to do with the movie industries again.
I actually don't mind that the LOEG movie was not a straight adaptation of the graphic novel.
The only Moore movie that really sucked is imo From Hell. I haven't read the graphic novel, but after seeing the movie I don't even want to (the sheer volume and the style of the illustrator also play a part in it).

Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate
Quote:
I'll see anything by Paul Verhoeven.
As I understand it Showgirls was not well received by the American public because of its nudity and obvious sexual content.
Nudity is pretty common for European 'art movies' and if you are a real Paul Verhoeven fan you'd notice that almost all his movies contain a few scenes with nudity in it.
At least Paul was the 1st who came to the Razzie Awards to accept it in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies