Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:03 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times

Advertisements

I've seen it once and thought it was okay but nothing to write home about. It was the Disney version of the Broadway musical Wicked IMO.

I'll admit Let It Go is catchy and one of those songs that sticks in your head despite trying to get it out. But overall it was just a movie. Disney's had better movies over the years but people are going BONKERS over Frozen like it's the Disney coming of Jesus or something.

Did I miss something? Will Frozen end world hunger? Ignite world peace? Is it the solution to all questions wondered? This is how people act "OMGZ! Frozen is so amazing"

The characters weren't bad but not spectacular and that snowman was annoying and cheesy. I get the women empowerment and all but Mulan was so much better and didn't get this kind of hype. I don't see the Christian angle at all but right wingers say there is one. I admit I was impressed when there was no rivalry between the sisters and the magical one didn't turn evil which is a change but it wasn't THAT mind blowing.

People are having like orgasmic reactions to this movie and it's really really weird. It wasn't that earth shattering/toe curling. A Q-tip to the ear is more stimulating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
I finally saw it yesterday. Meh. Wasn't impressed.

Way too much singing. And none of the music was memorable.

Animation was surprisingly ugly in places. I'm all for cartoon art, but some of the faces in Frozen looked downright deformed and bizarre in close up.

Too obviously preachy and trite.

Saw the villain coming from a mile away. That "twist" had all the twist of a yard stick.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 AM

Also, the Canadian band Great Big Sea released this song "Let It Go" in 2004:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgAXoEyCdE

Listen to the chorus, then compare it Disney's "Let It Go" in Frozen. It's the SAME MELODY over the same lyrics. I guess Disney is so huge now with so many lawyers that they no longer care about stealing from other artists.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
I liked it, and I'm not always a big fan of the Disney princess thing.

Yeah you could identify the villain easily.

I think many who like it identified with the story line of Elsa..she was to be kept hidden away, not tell the truth about who she really was...and how her attempt to do this almost destroyed a relationship with her sister.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:33 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I'm not a big fan of musicals in general. I thought it was okay. I've never seen a movie still in the theaters for so long nonstop after release... I'd see it but the theaters are showing the non 3D version.. if I wanted to see the Non 3D version I'd rent it.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I liked it, and I'm not always a big fan of the Disney princess thing.

Yeah you could identify the villain easily.

I think many who like it identified with the story line of Elsa..she was to be kept hidden away, not tell the truth about who she really was...and how her attempt to do this almost destroyed a relationship with her sister.
Ohhhh! Is that the gay angle right wingers are talking about? It's a cartoon encouraging kids to come out of the closet and "let it go, I don't care what they're going to say" and all that?

Jeez. I agree on the singing. There was a lot and really only Let It Go is catchy.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:28 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
I took the kids to see it and didn't get to finish it. My six year old was scared when it got dark and creepy. I finished watching it at home. I like musicals and I loved many of the songs, but, as mentioned, it's just a movie. I think some people get too hung up on anything by Disney or Pixar and don't really care about the "quality" of it. I'm not saying it's not good. It's just not the end-all-be-all movie. This one, especially, is one we'll probably never revisit.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Every now and then, the zeitgeist just passes me by.

Back in the late '90s, everyone was raving about what a great movie The Matrix was. I finally watched it. I thought it was stupid, boring, and an utter rip off of better movies in almost every scene. Absolutely hated it.

Now, Frozen is supposedly one of the most profitable animated films of all time. I can't figure out why. It wasn't a bad movie at all. But it certainly wasn't great. It was okay. The music certainly didn't hold a candle to Disney's better efforts. The animation was uninspired and downright bizarre in some scenes. It was sooo preachy and heavy-handed.

I just have no idea what people are thinking sometimes.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
You have "Brave" in 2012 which was a pretty big hit, "Tangled" in 2010, and "The Princess and the Frog" in 2009, but none of them had really strong standout songs that make them really memorable. If you think about it, a good song or two can really carry a movie. I compare "Frozen" to the Broadway musical "Wicked", which would be nothing without the songs "Defying Gravity" or "Popular". These songs have really carried the musical.

Also, "Frozen" is big because it's the first Disney princess movie where the prince/male love interest doesn't save the princess! The girls in "Frozen" save themselves. It's all about girl power!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I compare "Frozen" to the Broadway musical "Wicked", which would be nothing without the songs "Defying Gravity" or "Popular". These songs have really carried the musical.
And Frozen's hit song was stolen from another artist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgAXoEyCdE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies