Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 04:05 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

I can't find a thread for this one.

I saw it yesterday and it's pretty good even though this type of movie (fantasy?) is not usually my style.

The acting was brilliant. The setting, not so much--for some reason I thought it was supposed to be an island off the coast of Maine but it's only Rhode Island. Rhode Island is okay but it's not what I was expecting.

The plot is interesting and holds your interest. A few parts were too stereotypical, like the social services being cold and wanting to institutionalize the boy. Near the end the movie flew out of control when it should have been coming to its climax and tying up loose ends--they are on the roof of a church and so much is happening and it's all so muddled and confusing that it's hard to follow. You know what must be happening because it's stereotypical and predictable but still, you want to follow along with it and be emotionally involved.

Mostly it was older people in the theater and the movie was set in 1965. It is exactly like 1965--they got that part right--the clothing, the interiors, all of it. Pretty good, not outstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
I gave it a B-. I liked it -- the story, the acting, the actors, the styling. It just didn't make my soul sing.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I love the phrase "make my soul sing" - although, really, I haven't seen anything that etched that height in quite a while.

I didn't think anything about it was brilliant, but I thought it was fun and quirky. Funny, if it had been made without the big-name movie stars in the adult roles, it could have been done really cheaply by a movie director, but no studio would have touched it.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,836 times
Great movie. Very "indy" style. Quirky, subtle characters. I wish they made more of these.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
This had the same flavor as Mad Men, but on vacation at their summer house on the beach.
Very nostalgic, very 60's, several aspects were a bit heavy on the stereotypes, as mentioned earlier.

But it was a fun movie to watch, and the acting well worth it.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:35 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
We just watched Moonrise Kingdom (2012) on our cable service and it was truly delightful, with an excellent cast.

I recommend it to you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies