Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:08 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,118,398 times

Advertisements

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/g....co/rfzlO3YCfc

the films are

Dirty Harry
Forrest Gump
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Me Before You
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Children's Hour
The Searchers
The Silence of the Lambs
Holiday Inn
True Lies

Do these films need warning labels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:05 AM

23,624 posts, read 70,572,490 times
However well-intentioned articles like that one are, they serve as deflection of energies away from the present and solutions and into a form of blaming things in the past, which is much safer, since the past can't fight back (seemingly). The past is the past. If you are anyone on the planet has a way to meaningfully change it, I'm all ears. There are plenty of things in my past I would like to change, and a few larger events irk me.

Last time I checked, none of my history books came with warning labels. The events depicted in them are often disturbing, often slanted, and of more impact than fictional entertainment. The dynamics of current events are complex, and media plays to the lowest common denominator in reporting and analyzing those events and their causes. Currently it is pandering, looking for villains, and jerking off to the violence.

"The Stunt Man"-
Eli Cross: We’re shaking a finger at them, Sam, and we shouldn’t. If we’ve anything to say it’s best to slip it in while they’re all laughing and crying and jerking off at all the sex and violence. We should do something outrageous.
Sam: Like what?
Eli Cross: Like catching an authentic stench of madness behind all that good clean fun.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:02 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,264,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

the films are

Dirty Harry
Forrest Gump
Me Before You
The Children's Hour
The Searchers
The Silence of the Lambs
Holiday Inn
True Lies

How about cautions that the movie contains Liberal BS?

Or just a short warning to Snowflakes that the movie might make them cry.

Both of my ideas are ludicrous. So is the idea of any type of warning. Let the snowflakes do what I and millions of others do when I (they) come across a movie not liked or is full of BS; turn it off and move on.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:16 AM

22,947 posts, read 28,346,880 times
Any art that doesn't have the potential to offend someone probably isn't saying much of anything.

The reasons given for those movies needing warning labels induced nothing in me but a savage eye roll.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,035,015 times
LOL. Just as I suspected, Silence of the Lambs needs a warning label for its transgender character, not because of Mr. Lecter.

Forrest Gump: "While the film is condescending to anyone with a disability, Vietnam vets and people with AIDS, among others, it’s actually hostile to protesters, activists and the counterculture." Eh? I'd assumed that Forrest himself would be their problem.

Never heard of Me Before You, but their criticism makes absolutely no sense (not to mention a warning would give away a huge plot point).

I guess Rain Man needs one too then, with its not-totally-enlightened depiction of autism.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:43 PM

86 posts, read 37,248 times
There are pending warning labels that most people haven't even considered because they don't really pay attention to the minutia of details that are going on behind the main story.

Movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Animal House and Grease have predatory pedophile activity where adult males are aggressively perusing underage girls still in high school.

Movies like McLintock! where spanking grown women is not only encouraged but enjoyed in public by the entire town.

The list could be endless...

Old 06-18-2020, 12:46 PM

16,586 posts, read 10,697,197 times
Quote:
It’s now widely accepted that despite being a beloved classic, “Gone With the Wind” needs an explanation of its context when it’s screened on TV or in theaters.
I don't "widely accept" that this movie needs any explanation of its context. The only reason that any would be needed is because too many people are woefully ignorant of history. Because, otherwise, they would know that it was set in a time and a place (the Antebellum South) in which white people tended to be more racist than they are today. If GWTW didn't portray racist attitudes, I would think there was something wrong with it.

Quote:
“Forrest Gump” (1994)

“Forrest Gump” was made by intelligent people, won six Oscars and is beloved by many. While the film is condescending to anyone with a disability, Vietnam vets and people with AIDS, among others, it’s actually hostile to protesters, activists and the counterculture. As a bonus, “lovable” title character Nathan Bedford Forrest was named after his grandfather, the first grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.
Is there an alternate version of Forrest Gump that I never saw? I don't recall condescending attitudes towards disabled people, Vietnam vets, and people with AIDS. I thought they were portrayed as multi-dimensional characters, with both positive and negative attributes. I'll kind of agree with the portrayal of protesters, activists, and the counterculture. But so what? Must "context" be given if someone happens to dislike or disagree with those groups? Aren't we allowed to have our own opinions about them? (Rhetorical question; I already know that the answer from the Left is a big fat NO.) As for the name, the main character wasn't named Nathan Bedford Forrest; he was just named Forrest. And the scene in which this is discussed actually pokes gentle fun at the K K K, even while it is obvious that Forrest has no conception of who they are or what they believe.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:58 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,278,007 times
What???

No John Waters movies on the list?

I'm disappointed.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 8,210,183 times
Breakfast at Tiffany's? Mickey Rooney portraying an asian man.

American Beauty? A middle-aged man obsessing over a teenager.

I don't think they need warning labels but maybe someone does.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:31 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,701,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

the films are

Dirty Harry
Forrest Gump
Me Before You
The Children's Hour
The Searchers
The Silence of the Lambs
Holiday Inn
True Lies

LOL!!!!

I've seen most of these, most recently Once upon a Time[...] , and I had no idea it was so offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies