Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2024, 02:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, I really really liked it. Going to rewatch the original movie with Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey tonight but still - I really thought the new one was excellent and gave the old one a run for the money!!! I loved the actors in both movies. Even though I hadn't heard of some of the actors in the new movie, I liked all of them and found them all to be very believable.

It surprised me that it had so much music in it but still, I thought it was really good. Long but very, very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 03:06 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It surprised me that it had so much music in it but still, I thought it was really good.
It wasn't intended to be a remake of the 1985 movie. It's a movie adaptation of the Broadway musical. Hence, all the music.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:15 AM

7,906 posts, read 3,450,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It wasn't intended to be a remake of the 1985 movie. It's a movie adaptation of the Broadway musical. Hence, all the music.
It's a musical? A shame. I was thinking of watching it but I can't sit through musicals.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
It's a musical? A shame. I was thinking of watching it but I can't sit through musicals.
The music wasn't distracting or overbearing if that makes sense. If you liked the 1985 movie, you would probably find this one very interesting.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:45 AM

I rewatched The Color Purple from 1985 and realized that the music was written by Quincy Jones! And the newer movie used at least one of those songs. Wow, what a great movie. Both of them were excellent actually.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:20 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I need to watch it because the original is one of my ugly cry movies

Old 01-16-2024, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I need to watch it because the original is one of my ugly cry movies
LOL mine too!

Old 01-16-2024, 02:37 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post

The original was practically a musical, it had a ton of singing in it; I just rewatched it last week. I can't wait to see this new one.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:31 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
A friend recommended the book before I knew of the movie of the original. When it came out I thought it was a visually beautiful and also disturbing film. Certainly a tear-jerker.

This week I listened to a podcast about the new version. Wish I could remember which one it was. The hosts were Broadway-oriented folks. They discussed the controversy and talked about the pros and cons of each presentation. Did a nice job, I thought.

When I first heard they were remaking it I was unhappy about it. So often remakes disappoint when a film has been especially remarkable. But after listening to the podcast I am open to viewing the new version.

One of the things they discussed was the grimness of the early one contrasted with the more optimistic outlook of the second. Having not seen it I can't comment on that.

I remember how hopeless the situation was for Celie and others and how difficult it was to watch but I also remember being inspired by her independence and creative spirit that kept her alive and hopeful. That is successful living and set a good example for me and I hope for others. Women's stories need to be told.

Perhaps the time is ripe for something more enjoyable.

And the inevitable comment about my surprise and curiosity when the first film didn't win tons of awards. I don't know the politics about that but it seemed obvious that something was amiss. It was the beginning of the end of my interest in the awards.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:42 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Saw the new one today. My daughter was amazed I knew practically every line.
The original I've seen about 20 times in my lifetime.
I agree, this version was a much kinder lighter take. But I suppose musicals are like that.
I'll take the original one hands down. It's engrained in my soul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies