Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 07:39 PM
nng nng started this thread

695 posts, read 289,658 times

Advertisements

Okay I know opinions are subjective but judging movies by movie reviews is not the way to go IMO. Roger ebert gave the new mad max movie a 5/5 but I absolutely hated that movies!!! It was the most boring and stupid movie I have every seen. Movies that get bad reviews like the movie girl in the spiders web are infinitely more watchable imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,967,833 times
97% critic approval for the 2015 Mad Max? Something very odd there. It did very little for me as well. Went well over my threshold of "tolerable violence". A lot of people do seem to seek out gratuitous violence though - Quentin Tarantino has built a successful career out of catering to their desires.

I have always ignored the critics. What they value has little relation to what I seek. I do find the audience evaluations to be far more helpful.

It is very interesting when a movie becomes a box office smash in spite of low ratings by both critics and audience alike. Decent example is the Transformers series: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tra..._of_the_fallen

Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Change what you view....most independent films or art films are full of tasteful,
quality viewing....

IMO, most blockbusters....made to make lots of money with scientific effects and loud, loud noise with lots of violence. Is that REALLY what you want to watch?

Try Turner Classic Movies on cable, independent films at the theater or Netflix etc. Develop a REAL taste of film.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Since there are 7.5+ billion people in the world, with 7.5+ billion different personalities, it only stands to reason that some people's likes/dislikes of movies will agree and disagree with those that are considered "professional" critics/reviews who get paid doing it for a living. I would take any review, especially when dealing with art, be it movies, TV, music, etc. with the biggest grain of salt!

It is interesting to see what places like Rotten Tomatoes say, but all those reviews has never caused me to want to see a movie or not want to see a movie, I'm my own person. Having said that and knowing how "sheeple" people can be, I can see how many just end up agreeing with whatever the critics say, good or bad.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Okay I know opinions are subjective but judging movies by movie reviews is not the way to go IMO. Roger ebert gave the new mad max movie a 5/5 but I absolutely hated that movies!!! It was the most boring and stupid movie I have every seen. Movies that get bad reviews like the movie girl in the spiders web are infinitely more watchable imo.
??? Please explain how he gave a review for a 2015 movie when he died in 2013. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ebert

Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
??? Please explain how he gave a review for a 2015 movie when he died in 2013. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ebert
The Roger Ebert "brand" lives on forever! Basically, people who work for RogerEbert.com review movies, then the review is posted as a Roger Ebert review. In the case of Mad Max: Fury Road, Brian Tallerico was the guy who actually wrote the review for the Roger Ebert brand.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:04 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The Roger Ebert "brand" lives on forever! Basically, people who work for RogerEbert.com review movies, then the review is posted as a Roger Ebert review. In the case of Mad Max: Fury Road, Brian Tallerico was the guy who actually wrote the review for the Roger Ebert brand.
Ahh. That would explain President Lincoln liking "King Kong" on facebook. We live in a strange existence.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is true harry but if I recall his widow Chaz retained the authority/rights to the Roger Ebert brand, thus it is still "alive" after his passing. He was a very beloved commentator and critic in Chicago.

Roger Joseph Ebert (/ˈiːbərt/; June 18, 1942 – April 4, 2013) was an American film critic, historian, journalist, screenwriter, and author.

Neil Steinberg of the Chicago Sun-Times said Ebert "was without question the nation's most prominent and influential film critic", Tom Van Riper of Forbes described him as "the most powerful pundit in America", and Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times called him "the best-known film critic in America".

He was a film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times from 1967 until his death in 2013. In 1975, Ebert became the first film critic to win the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism.

Chaz Ebert is now vice president of the Ebert Company and has emceed Ebertfest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ebert

Eta: That is why I only pay attention to "Roger Ebert" reviews before the year he passed in 2013

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 04-18-2019 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,967,833 times
Roger Ebert liked movies that ordinary people enjoy. Hence the popularity. Roger was not an ivory tower film snob.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:29 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
97% critic approval for the 2015 Mad Max? Something very odd there. It did very little for me as well. Went well over my threshold of "tolerable violence". A lot of people do seem to seek out gratuitous violence though - Quentin Tarantino has built a successful career out of catering to their desires.

I have always ignored the critics. What they value has little relation to what I seek. I do find the audience evaluations to be far more helpful.

It is very interesting when a movie becomes a box office smash in spite of low ratings by both critics and audience alike. Decent example is the Transformers series: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tra..._of_the_fallen

The Mad Max films don't skimp on brutality. Beyond Thunderdome is the only one that got toned down some.

In the second film, The Road Warrior (1981), we see:
  • A close-up of fingers severed;
  • Myriad injuries and deaths caused by arrow/bolt/pistol/shotgun;
  • A protagonist is nailed in the back by Lord Humongous' steel spear;
  • Death by steel boomerang to the head;
  • Countless people run over by the tires of heavy armored vehicles;
  • More deaths by explosions and collisions galore...

Maybe the Mad Max saga simply isn't for you. It's not about a caravan of peaceniks spreading the message of joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies