Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

First of all, I loved it. The single-best portrayal of a Satanic character since Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange.

I remember before The Dark Knight came out, lots of people were skeptical that anyone could top Nicholson's performance of the same character and wondered if Ledger would just be doing Jack's sloppy seconds.

Ledger quite wisely (and brilliantly) took the character in a different direction. I've read in interviews that he was inspired by Alex in A Clockwork Orange and Sid Vicious.

But I just saw Kubrick's version of The Shining on TV again, and I can't help but think Ledger did take a bit of inspiration from Jack in this movie. A few of his mannerisms, his style of speech, and even the maniacal laugh are remarkably similar to Jack in The Shining. Even the hairstyle is similar. There might even be a little bit of MacMurphy from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest now that I think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
A good villian can carry a movie and I agree Ledger nailed it. I havent been the biggest fan of the previous batman movies Ive seen.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
They asked Bob Kane back in the early 80s who he thought should play The Joker and I think one name he mentioned was Jack Nicholson, probably after seeing his performances in The Shining and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. If Ledger was influenced by these performances, that would be rather ironic that Ledger's depiction of The Joker was based on the performances that Bob Kane liked, but that the actor who gave them couldn't recreate them in his own depiction of The Joker. But I think a lot of that has to do with the writer and directors of both films. Tim Burton cares more about imagery and style, not directing actors. He had a lousy script written by people who didn't really get the comic book and an actor who was too big a star to be bothered with trying to get into character. The Dark Knight was just the opposite. You had a writer and director in Chris Nolan who understood the comics and wanted to stay as faithful to the source material as he could. And you had an actor who knew how to completely disappear into a character.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
First of all, I loved it. The single-best portrayal of a Satanic character since Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange.

Wow - that's a huge statement. Alex is as deliciously evil as they come.
I really need to see DK again. I was scrutinizing Ledger's performance way too much in the theater due to hype. I need to see it again and just let the film soak in...

Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 PM

262 posts, read 567,245 times
I liked Heath as the new joker but I still prefered Jack nicholson as the joker,although I do prefer the Tim Burtons Batman to the new anyway.I just like it better because it has that comic book feel to it.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
But I think a lot of that has to do with the writer and directors of both films. Tim Burton cares more about imagery and style, not directing actors. He had a lousy script written by people who didn't really get the comic book and an actor who was too big a star to be bothered with trying to get into character. The Dark Knight was just the opposite. You had a writer and director in Chris Nolan who understood the comics and wanted to stay as faithful to the source material as he could. And you had an actor who knew how to completely disappear into a character.
Perfectly stated. I couldn't agree more on all counts.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 PM

Here's a question:

Should the Joker come back in a future film, and who would play him?

I guess I'm one of the few who wouldn't mind another actor in the role. I loved Ledger's version. Brilliant in every way. But the character is so much fun, I'd like to see him back.

My first choice to reprise the role would be Damian Lewis. Brilliant actor, and he can do sympathetic, funny, scary, and manic.

My second is a bit out there, but I think it could work: Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Known mostly for his work as a child and teen actor, but he's been going the indie route lately and getting rave reviews. He even looks a little bit like Heath Ledger. They couldn't be twins, but cousins...? Yeah.

But if they do bring back Joker, I insist on Harley Quinn, and Kristen Bell must be cast.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:15 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
it sounds like they're doing the Riddler for the next movie. personally, not only would I not want to see another actor portraying the Joker, but I think this franchise should end after the next movie, or at least not go beyond 4 movies tops (but I'd much prefer a trilogy). given how TDK ended, I can see how a 3rd movie could be a fitting end (typical "rise, fall, and redemption" story). I wouldn't mind seeing Catwoman in the next movie, esp. since the franchise will need another main female character (I don't remember enough of Harley Quinn's back story to be sure, but isn't she an acolyte of the Joker? I guess I could see how they'd work her in w/o having to re-cast the Joker)

ETA: forgot to mention, but I loved the scenes w/ the Joker at the hospital. they managed to insert a bit of humor into such a dark movie, which was brilliant

Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
it sounds like they're doing the Riddler for the next movie. personally, not only would I not want to see another actor portraying the Joker, but I think this franchise should end after the next movie, or at least not go beyond 4 movies tops (but I'd much prefer a trilogy). given how TDK ended, I can see how a 3rd movie could be a fitting end (typical "rise, fall, and redemption" story). I wouldn't mind seeing Catwoman in the next movie, esp. since the franchise will need another main female character (I don't remember enough of Harley Quinn's back story to be sure, but isn't she an acolyte of the Joker? I guess I could see how they'd work her in w/o having to re-cast the Joker)

ETA: forgot to mention, but I loved the scenes w/ the Joker at the hospital. they managed to insert a bit of humor into such a dark movie, which was brilliant

The Riddler is just a rumor. The last article I read that had an interview with Nolan said that that arent even 100% sure there will be a third one and they are just basically doing some brainstorming about the storyline to see if they want to do it. Nothing as far as villians had been decided. This was just about 3 weeks ago.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
The Dark Knight is not my usual kind of movie at all and yet I rather enjoyed it,primarily because of Heath ledger's world class performance.

He imbued his character with not only the necessary does of evil and mischief but also a great deal of wit and a sharp very dark sense of humour and in parts I almost found myself agreeing with the Joker.

Ledger's performance made the movie for me and gave it the necessary gravitas . I hope a posthumous award will be given to him for his faultless acting talents. He deserves recognition not just for this particular role but the rest of his short but brilliant career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies