Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:06 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

I work in law and movies always portray lawyers relentlessly yelling at witnesses, getting in their faces and pointing fingers in their faces. In real life that doesn't happen. There are so many things I could list, but that's the primary wrong that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Hey sailordave, I enjoy this thread. I worked for the Navy as a civilian beginning as a pipefitter at a research lab. YES to the sprinkler comments The one all us "insiders' refer to is The Hunt for Red October which has a number of undersea shots of the two submarines, but the shots are of several classes, frequently not the sub it's supposed to be.

A plus is the old movie Ice Station Zebra which uses actual Navy footage of either Nautilus SSN 571 or its sister Seawolf SSN 575 most identifiable by the boats' twin propellers.

Cheers, qw
I worked in the engineroom of a ship. We enjoyed Down Periscope. Sure there were some things that were factually wrong but that's to be expected with a comedy. What they did get right included the grungy dirty uniforms of the crew except for the bridge crew, the thrilling excitement we feel when fighting fire and flooding, and telling an officer "no, just a higher ranking one" in response to "your addressing a superior officer". People outside the military can't believe we can back talk officers. We do all the time. We just have to be either careful how we word ourselves or just don't give a damn.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I work in law and movies always portray lawyers relentlessly yelling at witnesses, getting in their faces and pointing fingers in their faces. In real life that doesn't happen. There are so many things I could list, but that's the primary wrong that comes to mind.
You mean you don't yell "your out of order, your out of order, this whole court's out of order!"

Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,721 times
When it comes to military stuff, I watched Stop Loss and there were some pretty blatant mistakes. A junior enlisted guy repeatedly calling an Army NCO "sir", to name one. Don't want to give away the ending but it was pretty unbelievable too.
Also I've seen a few movies where they call on the Air Force and show them flying F-18's.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I love how cases get to the docket, heard, tried, and decided in like a days time. yeah, right.
I know. Then there's the long diatribe of insults that pop back and forth between counsel without intervention and then counsel to the judge - can you say contempt? That would never be tolerated. The interviews by police of juveniles without counsel or parents. Yeah ... NOT! Cases that go straight to the Supreme Court ... and with a full courtroom, too funny!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
I'm anal about microscopes. Doctors/scientists looking at things (usually microbes) either using the wrong type of microscope, at the wrong magnification, or have the microscope (working distance) positioned in a way that there's no way they can see anything.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM

Though I've never worked in law enforcement even I have to waive the BS flag for TV crime shows like CSI. I know much of what they get wrong is for style. Techs collecting and testing evidence without a hairnet and while wearing high dollar stylish street clothes? Get real. Sometimes the crime mistake is blatant stupidity. Forgot which show it was, but a man booby trapped a home by opening the gas and putting a match on the kitchen door so that when the door was pushed it would strike the match and ignite the gas. When the guy came home, he didn't smell the gas. That's BS #1. Upon entering the home he turned on the light switch and no explosion. That's BS #2. Another involves CSI NY where the head detective was tied up and the area around him was booby trapped so that if someone tried to rescue him they'd break a laser beam and get shot by a shotgun. Oh, the sprinklers were spraying water all over the place and the shotgun didn't go off. Total BS.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
1. Real sled dogs look NOTHING like the big white fluffy ones in the movies. Actually, those are called "movie dogs" in the sport. Real sled dogs are a lot scrappier, skinnier, and don't all look alike or even anything like huskies.

2. On a similar note, dogs don't have the muscle power to close their eyes when they are injected and die, "Marley and Me". I'm sorry I know that, but I do.

3. When cops / FBI agents bust open doors they rarely look into the corners to their right and left. Agents are trained that the first thing you do when you enter a room is scan the corners.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Default Law Enforcement

Ok someone already mentioned CSI. I can't watch it.

I also cringe when I see how they hold their weapons. NOBODY would hit straight holding it like they do.

They never show the prongs of the tasers.
Eating and smoking in the cars is a no-no, well here it is.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM

323 posts, read 835,309 times
Well, Office Space nailed it. Everything was correct (even down to the grey cubicles). Can't complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies