Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Whats that old saw? Summer movies are for the kids. . . winter movies are for adults. . . .
Yes.
I do love the popcorn movies on a hot summer day, and the more brooding, introspective stuff during the winter.
IMHO we could use another epic, culturally important drama such as The Grapes of Wrath. (released March, 1940.)
Can anyone think of another, more recent Hollywood (not indie, not non-USA) film with that kind of significance?
Hotel Rwanda should have had that kind of impact, but I don't think it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,201,546 times
I confess, I have put myself up against the wall.
Some years ago I saw Fahrenheit 9/11, but that was a documentary, made of clips of actual events. I liked the film.
Hotel Rwanda - does Hollywood have to look beyond America's borders to find social problems?
The Grapes Of Wrath, the great filming of Steinbeck's novel is anexcellent choice for social criticism.
A few years ago, on Chicago's PBS TV, I saw a Canadian made-for-TV production (of several 1 hour segments) entitled "More Tears". It certainly was bold in ridicule of many social attitudes, such as consumerism, materialism, greed, beliefs, etc. Although made for TV, this production vastly trumped anything Hollywood has made.
One peculiar item: The British B/W (1955) film of Orwell's novel "1984", starring Edmund O'Brien, is not available anywhere, neither on video or DVD. Most people don't even know this movie exists. It most accurately sticks to the original novel. For years I've been very curious as to why this film cannot be viewed today. Maybe the Status Quo considers the film as "too dangerous"?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 PM

13 posts, read 22,486 times
I was waiting for someone to suggest "The Majestic", but nobody did!

Bill

Old 09-01-2009, 02:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times
How about "Elephant"? District 9 was more of a social-political commentary than a science fiction movie. It was quite thought-provoking. Has anyone mentioned Slumdog Millionaire?

I find Indecent Proposal fits into the subject of this thread as well.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,087,878 times
Children of Men

(British film ,not Hollywood-very thought-provoking and terrifying film. I'm yet to see Hollywood churn out something of even half the magnitude)

Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,471,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
When Is The Last Time Hollywood Made A Socially Critical Movie?

Most movies, critical of society, are foreign films, such as:
1984 (the British version from 1955)
Fahrenheit 451
The Stranger
Can you think of any Hollywood movies which toss slight jabs at the Status Quo?
Is this a joke?

You can start with with Pleasantville or American Beauty or John Q Public or Dead Man Walking and on and on From Academy Award winners to South Park, Bigger, Longer, Uncut and you will find a sea of social critique.

Slight jabs? Please. Try full throated roar with spittle in your face.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 AM

13 posts, read 22,486 times
OC, you are totally correct, as all of these films have massive social relevence, however I would have to go with the person above who commented about "Farenheit 9/11". That, and "JFK" are two of the most important films about the state of the nation that has come out of Hollywood in the last 50 years! Some say that Michael Moore is a traitor to our country, well how about Oliver Stone? Both of these movies show how corrupt our system of government has become, and how far we have come from the ideals set down by the founding fathers! The only thing that I've been waiting for Mr. Moore to do is produce a film about how corrupt NASA has become, and the fact that the United States has NEVER been to the moon, and how we keep pouring trillions of tax dollars into that endless well, and we will never see an end to it!

Just my two cents

William

Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM

75 posts, read 262,271 times
Also A good Movie The Life Of David Gale. Makes one debate the Death Penalty / Judicial System

Old 09-06-2009, 11:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,495,400 times
Traffic

Old 09-07-2009, 04:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Yes, it was mentioned back in post #17.
Traffic was good, I enjoy different storylines tied together--but it would have been better with more realistic dialogue. The characters sometimes seemed as if they should have been standing on soapboxes or at pulpits.

In comparison, Milk simply told the story of a brave, committed man, but the screenplay is nuanced, the acting and dialogue completely convincing.
Milk's story of social justice is powerful; it stays with the viewer long after the movie is over.

I don't think 2006's Blood Diamond has been mentioned. Seems like some people don't like Leo, I thought he did a pretty good job here.
Blood Diamond is a Hollywood movie with an unbiased socially critical message.
Kimberley Process
Third party mineral buyers: No Pay, No Slay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies