Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:08 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times

Advertisements

It seems all the movies that Hollywood makes that deal with Iraq or Afghanistan have to have that liberal agenda in there, sometimes the entire movie is about being anti-war, sympathizing with the enemy, etc. I've heard the new film Green Zone is like that, and that Hurt Locker is also an anti-war movie. DOn't we have enough of those?

I wish they would make a good about American heroes going over to Iraq or Afghanistan with guns blazing and putting the fear of God in the enemy. Or a movie where a cop or FBI agent becomes a hero and takes out Islamic terrorists on American soil. I miss all those movies about the Soviet Union and Vietnam, like Rambo for example, or Red Dawn. In fact instead of Burma, the new Rambo movie should have been about him going to Sudan and fighting the Arab Muslims in support of Darfur rebels. But then maybe they were afraid of fatwas being issued against them? The Islamic jihadists are our enemies right now and we should just make a good old fashioned action movie where we kick their butts without the liberal PC crap.

Very telling that True Lies was made back in 1994. And with Avatar it seems James Cameron has gone decidedly liberal since those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:28 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,333,539 times
Part of the reason is that america is split on the war, and the studios don't want to alienate half the potential audience by suggesting a version of the facts outside their comfort zone.Hard to find a positve spin on it,though am sure that the Pentagon with the right studio could make another movie like Blackhawk Down.If your looking for a good take on Iraq that is niether pro nor con take a look at the hbo movie Taking Chance with Kevin Bacon. Hell I'am still waiting for a good movie about Hiroshima.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,014 times
well we've got Jack Bauer on 24! Does that count? lol

Old 03-07-2010, 10:47 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
well we've got Jack Bauer on 24! Does that count? lol
That does count and 24 indeed is my favorite show, but no major movies. The closest I think is The Kingdom where Jaime Foxx and his team are pitted against Islamic terrorists but they had to add that message in the end about how they hate us as much as we hate them blah blah blah.

So interesting that in the movie Red Eye they purposely had the terrorists trying to assassinate the HOmeland Security director to be Russians, when the COld War has been over for a long time.

NOt about the war on terror, but the Bourne movies actually portray the CIA and the US government in a VERY negative way, especially the first one.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,683,776 times
Generation kill was a good tv series about a recon squad in iraq

Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

I wish they would make a good about American heroes going over to Iraq or Afghanistan with guns blazing and putting the fear of God in the enemy.
Team America

On a more serious note, Syriana was, for me, the closest-to-the-truth depiction of what's going on (and WHY) in the Middle East. I had to see it twice. It's very complicated and there is no feel good ending.
An apolitical film, it is not so much about terrorism as it is about the breeding ground for it, as well as the ripple effect of government, corporations, power elites etc.

I have not seen Generation Kill but I have read very good things about it.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Generation kill was a good tv series about a recon squad in iraq
that show rocked I ended up buying the DVD set for it
GET SOME!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
Yup, I miss the good ol' fashioned shoot-em-up war movie without a political statement...movie kind of like "The Dirty Dozen" or "The Longest Day". I thought "Saving Private Ryan" was pretty good with no big liberal or conservative political statement.

Combat from the grunt-level generally comes without politics...it's about survival and your buddies.

I heard from someone that they thought "The Hurt Locker" was pretty statement free...anyone know if that's true?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
every war movie pretty much has some kind of political or moroal statement to make, most obvious I guess is the futility and uselessness of war, but many people get off on the violence, the explosions and the gunfire, like in that scene from "Jarhead" when the maries are watching the helicopter attack scene from "Apocalypse Now", they're yelling and hootin and hollerin and getting off on all the violence but in reality "Apocalypse Now" is very much an anti-war movie, making a staement of how brutally insane war is.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,800 times
Lions for Lambs wasn't exactly "hardcore" and the liberal agenda is wound into the plot albeit with a bit of a surprising twist. Actually offers another sort of approach to the "agenda"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies