Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times

Advertisements

For the life of me I cannot understand why this film got any good reviews. Does this film have some sort of message to it, because I certainly did not get it. It seemed like just a boring composite of mediocre action scenes and borrowed concepts from other films, all of it very predictable. Do not see this film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,036,493 times
Thanks for the review. I don't ever go to the movies. They all suck.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,933,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why this film got any good reviews. Does this film have some sort of message to it, because I certainly did not get it. It seemed like just a boring composite of mediocre action scenes and borrowed concepts from other films, all of it very predictable. Do not see this film.
POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Really? That's not what I got out of it at all. I walked away with the film still lingering in my mind for a few days, in fact. The story was minimal, but what's most important about a film like this is what's NOT said or shown - it's an examination of the psyche of a person doing one of the most dangerous jobs in the world for a country he's become completely detached from. Is he (Sgt. James) crazy? That's debatable. He definitely walks the line of "wild man" and "civilized" the whole time, but he dips back and forth to both sides of the line. We see him befriend a local Iraqi boy; we see him cry; we see him fall asleep with his helmet on; and we see him disarm a bomb without his bomb suit on. We even see one of his team members threaten to blow him up, and then we see him give that team member his juice when he really needed it. A compassionate, caring, wild man? It shows how someone like this CAN exist, but also asks the question: Can someone who lives that lifestyle for that long come back and really function back home (i.e. he can disarm a bomb with confidence and ease, yet he can't pick out a box of cereal without feeling overwhelmed)? Can he do anything else? Does he even want to? I thought it was pretty brilliant in that regard. Plus, it does the same (in less detail, sure) for the other two team members. It presents us with the 3 type of people you have in a war-time situation: the crazy guy who loves it, the guy who hates every second and is scared for his life, and the guy in between who seems to be envious of both in one way or another. Sure, the story isn't there, but try to see it as more of a chronicle of these guys' days as EODs instead of a war film like Saving Private Ryan which has a linear plot we can follow. It's not necessarily about what they do, but how it affects them. And you have to admit it did an excellent job of keeping tension during some of the disarming scenes. I especially loved the first bomb Sgt. James tried to disarm when the cab driver drove up to him and he had his gun to his head. What better way to introduce a character??

Or maybe I just really liked it because my neighbor in an EOD. Who knows?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
I LOVED this movie. It was a great depiction of a small group of men stuck in a lousy situation, trying to do their job as best they could, getting thro the daily grind of dealing with being shot at, blown up, never knowing who they could trust - where every object could be a bomb and every person could be a bomber and yet they're still trying to save lives. The tension that they felt and expressed each time they had to diffuse a bomb whilst staying alert to someone setting it off prematurely was nail-biting!

This movie wasn't about action or violence - it was about three guys getting thro this alive. The protagonist, Sgt James, has a talent for this work and whilst he knows he could die any moment, he goes out there and just does his job. Anything else is immaterial and that's what makes this story so compelling. These aren't a bunch of guys talking about why they're there or if what they're doing is right. They're just doing what they're being paid to do and trying to do it as best they can.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I LOVED this movie. It was a great depiction of a small group of men stuck in a lousy situation, trying to do their job as best they could, getting thro the daily grind of dealing with being shot at, blown up, never knowing who they could trust - where every object could be a bomb and every person could be a bomber and yet they're still trying to save lives. The tension that they felt and expressed each time they had to diffuse a bomb whilst staying alert to someone setting it off prematurely was nail-biting!

This movie wasn't about action or violence - it was about three guys getting thro this alive. The protagonist, Sgt James, has a talent for this work and whilst he knows he could die any moment, he goes out there and just does his job. Anything else is immaterial and that's what makes this story so compelling. These aren't a bunch of guys talking about why they're there or if what they're doing is right. They're just doing what they're being paid to do and trying to do it as best they can.
With the exception of the part about bombs, you've described the film Black Hawk Down.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
With the exception of the part about bombs, you've described the film Black Hawk Down.
Are you high?! The movies were completely different! BHD was 99% action-packed, explosions, DOZENS of guys running around a city within a 24 hour-period trying to get out, dying tragically, surviving, based on a true story. THL has very little action except for right at the beginning and about halfway thro when they're trapped in the desert, THREE guys over a period of THIRTY EIGHT DAYS, diffusing bombs, getting drunk, calling home, beating each other up while drunk and is written by a guy who spent time with a bomb tech crew in Baghdad.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:39 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
I want to see it on a screen, not my TV so I might have to suck it up and drive to Denver. Looking forward to it as I have a couple of friends who are former EOD types.

golfgod

Old 07-30-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Are you high?! The movies were completely different! BHD was 99% action-packed, explosions, DOZENS of guys running around a city within a 24 hour-period trying to get out, dying tragically, surviving, based on a true story. THL has very little action except for right at the beginning and about halfway thro when they're trapped in the desert, THREE guys over a period of THIRTY EIGHT DAYS, diffusing bombs, getting drunk, calling home, beating each other up while drunk and is written by a guy who spent time with a bomb tech crew in Baghdad.
Also, Black Hawk Down had Blackhawks, so yes indeed, they're totally different...what was I thinking...

Old 08-08-2009, 07:00 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
i thought it was very good. probably not as rave-worthy as so many critics have made it out to be, but still well worth seeing, and by far the best iraq war movie yet made.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Saw it today with my younger son. We both thought it was quite good.
An aside: while at the box office the other day debating whether or not to buy tickets for G.I. Joe (I didn't), I had an encounter with a young man who is in the Army, stationed near me, who thought it was quite good as well - he described it a a very accurate depiction of his experience in Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies