Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 PM

18,247 posts, read 25,909,423 times

Advertisements

Am a little surprised that there never has been a specific thread focusing on the Yardbirds, so this will be the one.

I'll go with Rolling Stone magazine's assessment of this group; "The Yardbirds wrote the book on guitar-oriented blues based rock and roll. They were a crucial link between mid 60's British R&B and late 60's psychedelia, setting the groundwork for heavy metal."

Absolutely. And this group spawned three of the greatest guitarists in rock history; Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck.

Ok, people. Opinions! Favorite song? Favorite album?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:10 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,949,800 times
If only Heart Full Of Soul had been on the first LP that would have been a killer album. I'm gonna say the Clapton period, though quite brief, was pretty darn impressive and therefore the one I like. Though he played on most of that first LP, Beck was in on a few numbers too. By the time it was released Eric was long gone and there isn't any mention of him on it. Weird. Strange. Call it what you will. Their blues oriented rock was my favorite period. But like another band of the 60s that comes to mind, Buffalo Springfield, their sum was not quite equal to their parts. There seemed to be a certain cohesiveness that was missing. But they had their great moments for sure.

So right now if you put on Train Kept A-Rollin', A Certain Girl, I Ain't Got You, For Your Love and Over Under Sideways Down I'd tell you that that was one loaded band. And they really were!

Page was the late addition, and he could have taken them to their greatest heights, but there was a meltdown going on at that point that even he couldn't stop. Thus, we got Led Zeppelin - and we are none the poorer for that. The other two guitar players didn't fare too badly over the years either.

Nice thread, HH!

Last edited by square peg; 02-01-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,805 times
Best album: A tossup between Five Live Yardbirds and Yardbirds (a.k.a. Roger the Engineer in the U.K. and Over Under Sideways Down in the U.S.).

Favourite Yardbirds cuts . . .

The Yardbirds, "Still I'm Sad"

The Yardbirds, "Got to Hurry" (the instrumental manager/producer Giorgio Gomelsky wrote for as a showcase for Eric Clapton as a bid to lure him out of leaving the group because he hated "For Your Love")

The Yardbirds, "Over Under Sideways Down"

The Yardbirds, "Evil Hearted You"

The Yardbirds, "I'm Not Talking"

The Yardbirds, "Glimpses"

Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,348,677 times
Liked the line up when Page and Beck were co-lead guitarists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adbGT8Rg9OE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mQvW0ROag

Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,649,720 times
I'm a fan and there is too many to list. I liked all three....... Clapton, Beck, Page, and still do. In my opinion, it was the set up for what was about to come. If it wasn't for these early efforts, who knows what would have happen. Yardbirds all the way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjHQoWRbMf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LSSgQMc2E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suhoBO3PuG8

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,318,784 times
I like all three, but prefer the Beck years.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,934,464 times
Oooh, didn't know this was here. Nice one Double H!

Page fan here, so a bit biased toward that era. Two faves are "Heart Full of Soul" and "Dazed.."

I love the bit in the movie "Blow-Up", when they're in the Ricky-Tick and Beck smashes his guitar. I like that song too.

Ah, what the hey, I'll post it here, it's Friday and I'm feelin' reckless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zeza1xeWKM

Old 03-17-2011, 07:02 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,649,720 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpxgxThG7s

Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,771,798 times
Not much of a Clapton fan...could never stomach the " Clapton Is God " appointment...Jeff Beck I would say had more emotion and virtuosity...

Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,805 times

The Yardbirds (Eric Clapton), "Got to Hurry"---the original B-side to "For Your Love"

The Yardbirds, "Got to Hurry"---alternate take that turned up on Eric Clapton's Crossroads box set. This may also have been the earliest recording on which Clapton used a Gibson guitar, by the way (an ES-335, the same guitar he'd end up using on the final Cream tours in 1968).

The backstory---Clapton despised "For Your Love" and the apparent pop direction the Yardbirds were about to take, wanting to stay with the blues. In a bid to keep Clapton from bolting the band, manager/producer Giorgio Gomelsky (he also discovered the Rolling Stones; the Yardbirds took over their Crawdaddy Club residency while Gomelsky still ran the place) came up with this little piece of blues (under the non de plume of O. Rasputin) and promised Clapton the B-side of the single in a bid to keep him in the band.

Clapton cut it in these two versions but he bolted anyway to join John Mayall's Blues Breakers, which is where he did indeed graduate from good to God in a lot of fans' estimations . . .

As for the Yardbirds' later years, here may be two of their least appreciated cuts . . .

The Yardbirds, "Glimpses" (from Little Games)---lineup: Keith Relf---vocals; Jimmy Page---guitars, keyboard, effects; Chris Dreja---bass, some guitar; Jim McCarty, drums.

The Yardbirds, "Drinkin' Muddy Water" (also from Little Games, and evidence that they never entirely abandoned the blues)---lineup: Keith Relf---vocals, harmonica; Jimmy Page---guitars, backing vocals; Chris Dreja---bass, backing vocals; Jim McCarty, drums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music