Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times

Advertisements

Rush has been one of my favorite bands since the Moving Pictures album, and for one reason or another, I have never been able to see them on any of their many tours. I was so excited to finally see them in Greensboro, NC on the time machine tour, where they would play Moving PIctures in it's entirety, as well as many other songs. Still love their music (up through mid '80s), but the show was a HUGE disapointmeint.

First and foremost, the sound quality was aweful. You could not tell what Geddy was playing, his voice was somewhat muddled, and Alex's guitar depended on which song as to wether I could hear it or not. (His accoustic on Closer to the Heart sounded GREAT). I am sorry, but a band with this much touring experience has not excuse for bad sound. I spoke to several other people who agreed. We all thought they just tried to run it too loud and ended up distorted, but whatever.

In addition to that:
Every song sounded identical to the album ('cept the bad sound quality). Zero improve. C'mon guys. The entire show was 100% canned.

Same Set list for over a year, no modifications. Again, canned.

The screen was so big, and right behind the stage that when it was on, you could not see the band in front of it. So I basically paid a lot of money to see what looked like a big video. LItterally. (I liked it better when the screen was off and I could watch the band and the light show.

Geddy Lee actually asked the audience what they wanted to hear next. How fake is that when they are playing the same set list every night!?!?!?!

Litterally, the entire audience sat in their seats 90% of the time. It was that bad.

I will say that I could tell that they were playing excellently. Even thought it was rehearsed, it was done well, if only the sound was not bad. Alex Lifeson is one of the best guitarist ever. Geddy is an incredible basist, and I don't think anything needs to be said about Neil Peart. AWESOME!!!

So I'm not dissing the band, just the show. Anyone else seen them recently and either care to disagree, or confirm?

(In contrast, I saw FURTHUR in NYC a week earlier. They are remaining members of the grateful dead. They played from 715 to 1150 with only one break. Improved EVERY song, brought guests on the stage, and they NEVER play the same song two nights in a row. Often they change the set-list mid show. It was a stellar show. Certainly not the calibre of technical skill of Rush, but they came to create music, and delivered.

Flame away! (Really, I LOVE Rush, and this hurts to post.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,048 times
I haven't been interested in Rush since All the World's a Stage. After that album, they were and remain a first class snooze . . .

Old 04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
I haven't seen Rush in a few years but here are a few thoughts which may or may not be relevant:

Their shows are WAY, WAY better indoors. They need to either quit doing these summer shed tours, or revamp their show to accomodate the fact that the sun is out until their show is halfway over. What's the point of lasers if the sun is still up? Generally, indoors the lasers, pyro, videos, etc. enhance the show. These things just look silly and confusing when they play outdoors, especially if you're sitting on the lawn. Also, I think they sound better in indoor venues, although to be fair, I've never seen a show where the sound was less than adequate.

Rush has rarely if ever improvised, with the exception of the goofy breakdowns they sometimes do in La Villa Strangiato where Alex does a little monologue. Neil Peart meticulously crafts every detail of his drum parts, and for good and ill, this takes the possibility of improvisation and/or jamming out of the question. The only time Peart improvises is in one section of his solo, which he claims he keeps open ended. But, you'd be hard pressed to detect any significant difference in his solo from night to night.

Rush rarely if ever changes their setlist. I think this is to accomodate their extensive use of pyro, lasers, etc. That stuff has to be carefully timed or the whole show could fall apart.

Rush needs to bring some fun back into their music, and not just their stage props and videos. Just about all of the music they've done for the last 20 years is gloomy, dark and plodding. They're good at gloomy and dark sometimes (Witch Hunt, for example), but they were once just as good at fun, bouncy tunes (see Signals and Grace Under Pressure).

Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Rush needs to bring some fun back into their music, and not just their stage props and videos. Just about all of the music they've done for the last 20 years is gloomy, dark and plodding. They're good at gloomy and dark sometimes (Witch Hunt, for example), but they were once just as good at fun, bouncy tunes (see Signals and Grace Under Pressure).
That's funny that you mention "Grace Under Pressure" as an example of an album full of "fun, bouncy tunes." I always thought of "Grace Under Pressure" to be the band's darkest album. Although, I guess you could argue that album does have moments of levity as well.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
That's funny that you mention "Grace Under Pressure" as an example of an album full of "fun, bouncy tunes." I always thought of "Grace Under Pressure" to be the band's darkest album. Although, I guess you could argue that album does have moments of levity as well.
I mean musically, and not lyrically. Signals is a better example than Grace for what I'm trying to say.

I don't pay all that much attention to their lyrics, but even when the lyrics were dark they used to be good at upbeat sounding songs. Now, it all sounds like a huge bummer, musically AND lyrically.

'80s

YouTube - Rush- The Analog Kid w/ Lyrics

Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSwjRB_62U4

Basically, all you need to know about Rush is that from their beginning up to the late '80s they used to cite very cool bands as influences, and you could hear the influence. Nowadays they name-check lame bands as influences, and you can hear it.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Nowadays they name-check lame bands as influences, and you can hear it.
And which are these "lame" bands you're referring to?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
JPD

Vertical Horizon, for one.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Rush has been one of my favorite bands since the Moving Pictures album, and for one reason or another, I have never been able to see them on any of their many tours. I was so excited to finally see them in Greensboro, NC on the time machine tour, where they would play Moving PIctures in it's entirety, as well as many other songs. Still love their music (up through mid '80s), but the show was a HUGE disapointmeint.

First and foremost, the sound quality was aweful. You could not tell what Geddy was playing, his voice was somewhat muddled, and Alex's guitar depended on which song as to wether I could hear it or not. (His accoustic on Closer to the Heart sounded GREAT). I am sorry, but a band with this much touring experience has not excuse for bad sound. I spoke to several other people who agreed. We all thought they just tried to run it too loud and ended up distorted, but whatever.

In addition to that:
Every song sounded identical to the album ('cept the bad sound quality). Zero improve. C'mon guys. The entire show was 100% canned.

Same Set list for over a year, no modifications. Again, canned.

The screen was so big, and right behind the stage that when it was on, you could not see the band in front of it. So I basically paid a lot of money to see what looked like a big video. LItterally. (I liked it better when the screen was off and I could watch the band and the light show.

Geddy Lee actually asked the audience what they wanted to hear next. How fake is that when they are playing the same set list every night!?!?!?!

Litterally, the entire audience sat in their seats 90% of the time. It was that bad.

I will say that I could tell that they were playing excellently. Even thought it was rehearsed, it was done well, if only the sound was not bad. Alex Lifeson is one of the best guitarist ever. Geddy is an incredible basist, and I don't think anything needs to be said about Neil Peart. AWESOME!!!

So I'm not dissing the band, just the show. Anyone else seen them recently and either care to disagree, or confirm?

(In contrast, I saw FURTHUR in NYC a week earlier. They are remaining members of the grateful dead. They played from 715 to 1150 with only one break. Improved EVERY song, brought guests on the stage, and they NEVER play the same song two nights in a row. Often they change the set-list mid show. It was a stellar show. Certainly not the calibre of technical skill of Rush, but they came to create music, and delivered.

Flame away! (Really, I LOVE Rush, and this hurts to post.)

I probably can't give you a good answer regarding the things in the sound crew's control. Regarding the band, they're capable of still "bringing it", but those guys are not getting any younger. That's just the reality of old-time bands these days with people the age they are. The voice loses capacity for high notes after some time, and people do slow down. I've even detected some slowdowns for Neil Peart, but he's still one of the finest drummers ever.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:53 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
The review of Tuesday night's show here

Concert Review | Rock legends of Rush play like it's 1981 | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 PM

909 posts, read 1,063,105 times
I saw Rush (and Van Halen as well) when they were both more or less new bands (Actually Rush had gotten big - the Hemispheres tour in the late 70's...Van Halen was brand new though)...and by the mid-1980's neither sounded the same in concert. While Rush was still good, it was somehow not the same...Van Halen sounded like crap live by the Diver Down tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music