Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:53 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
FYI, this is a ridiculous statement considering that according to Billboard, 70-80 percent of hip-hop music consumers ($$$) are suburban White teens and adolescents.

Also, It is not necessary to bash an entire music genre simply because it is not your personal taste.
Whats even more ridiculous is both of you guys calling Pop music as "Hip Hop".

This thread is highly ridiculous. American Idol is far from a show of talented musicians. How many actually made something of themselves...

As for Black vs White, who cares... Our President is Black. Can we stop with people thinking one race is held down by another...seriously...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Dont go by American Idol results. Go by who is actually really good and professional.

Some great singers:

Christina Aguilera
Celene Dion
Mary J. Blige
Maria McKee - From Lone Justice
Whitney Houston
Patti LaBelle

Race plays no part in it at all. NONE.
What a strong beautiful voice she has.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 PM

415 posts, read 449,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I do not want to start a controversy, but after watching several seasons of American Idol and a number of these other music contests, I am surprised that I do not see many African American female contestants. I have friends who can sing better than many of the white female contestants who participate in the show.

I do not like to start generalizations because there are very good white females who can sing, but can we all agree on whole african american females have better vocals and can carry a tune much better than Caucasian females. Some artists out there like Miley Cyrus, H Duff, oh my goodness.

Do you believe one reason why most african american females singers dont hit it big is due to the way that mainstream America dont find african american females attractive? In any case I think as a whole African American female singers are much more talented than Caucasian females singers.
Only 12% of the population is African American. So, I don't really know how many black performers you expect there? 30%? 40%? Again, only 12% of the population.

The last sentence is just your opinion. You can't conclude that Americans like them less because they are black. That's ridiculous. I love Lady Gaga. I'm not so much into Beyonce. To each his own.

And why is it always White vs. Black???? There are other people, too.

American Idol has never discovered a real star. Kelly Clarkson was popular at first, but it's been relatively quiet in recent years. The list goes on and on. Madonna, Lady gaga, Michael Jackson ( I know ), Celine Dion, Justin Bieber, Britney Spears etc. are still visibly active. I've never watched American Idol. Maybe I just can't think of someone who wasn't just popular after the show, but had an actual career spanning more than 1 or 2 years. Adam Lambert maybe? But it's he's been quiet, too.

Last edited by Wallbanger; 04-09-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

This thread is highly ridiculous. American Idol is far from a show of talented musicians. How many actually made something of themselves...

As for Black vs White, who cares... Our President is Black. Can we stop with people thinking one race is held down by another...seriously...
FYI, nowhere in my post did I refer to "pop" as "hip hop"

Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Not to mention that, if we only consider white vs. black, then Mariah Carey doesn't fit into anyone's list

Old 04-09-2011, 09:23 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
There are women with great voices in every race as the above lists indicate. One cannot use today's "artist" as a yard stick as people like Katy Perry, Kesha and others like them are more brands of the record companies than they are artist. Look up some unknown and indie artists and you will see a lot of whites with spectacular voices.

YouTube - Nancy Coletti- Come Rain Or Shine

She sang two songs for SeaWorld's Shamu show and they are the last two on this list.

Nancy Coletti | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

Impressive singing! Proof that race is very irrelevant!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
One thing to keep in mind, too, is that you often (generally?) find black and white women in popular music singing different types of music. That could affect your opinion of which racial group of women on the whole "have better voices."

I get sick of the fact that it seems like every white female singer who gets any airplay these days seems to think she needs to hit like thirty notes for every word she holds in a song. "I wa-A-a-A-A-AAA-aaaaAaAaAaAaaaaa-a-a-a-a-aaaaaaaaaant you-oo-oo-OO-OOOO-ooo-ooo-oooooooooooooo... so bad." How about you fill up some of that airtime with some words? That have meaning? Thanks, ladies.

I blame the record companies.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:31 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,331,048 times
The music industry is all about making money, and the key to making money is reaching as many demographic markets as possible. I just wish race distinctions/discrimination would disappear forever! Good music, great vocals are upmost in my criteria of what I will listen to and buy. I want to believe raw talent will always breakthrough no matter the skin color.
The main idea I think is to get ideas or emotions across no matter what your race.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Most hip hop now is basically Pop marketed to black people. Back then, hip hop was REAL music.

@OP

No, black singers are not any more better than white singers. It just depends on the individual.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
One thing to keep in mind, too, is that you often (generally?) find black and white women in popular music singing different types of music. That could affect your opinion of which racial group of women on the whole "have better voices."

I get sick of the fact that it seems like every white female singer who gets any airplay these days seems to think she needs to hit like thirty notes for every word she holds in a song. "I wa-A-a-A-A-AAA-aaaaAaAaAaAaaaaa-a-a-a-a-aaaaaaaaaant you-oo-oo-OO-OOOO-ooo-ooo-oooooooooooooo... so bad." How about you fill up some of that airtime with some words? That have meaning? Thanks, ladies.

I blame the record companies.
*dies laughing* I have noticed this as well. This is one of my peeves with music, along with thinking that screaming is singing, and moaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music