Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,032 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with music lessons for the under 5's?

My niece has a large keyboard that she enjoys playing with and I though it might be enjoyable for her to attend some sort of lesson. I've heard of Yahama having guitar lessons?

Anything music though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times
no comment on lessons, although a full sized guitar might be a bit of a stretch for the short arms of a under-5 year old. I think they do market mini guitars and guitars for very young children and I would suggest research into that.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:26 PM

12,965 posts, read 13,698,800 times
I wouldn't try to give a child that young guitar lessons. I would just make sure they have a decent 1/4 sized instrument to "play" with. I would keep it tune in an "open" tuning similar to a banjo a let them develop some natural abilities. At $30 to $25.00 per half hour You are probably not going to get a teacher to turn you down. but about the age of nine is a good time. The are too many things about the guitar that rely on cognitive learning for it to be worthwhile in child who is not at least out of Kindergarten.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,294,242 times
A child who is receptive to music lessons at that age is rare, but if they are inclined toward music the earlier they start the better.

Find someone in your area who gives lessons to younger children and sign her up for a trial lesson, then talk to the instructor and see if he/she feels that your child is ready. Most will be honest as they don't want to waste their time.

You also might look for a Kindermusik program in your area. They introduce small children to musical concepts rather than teaching specific instruments. It's a lot of fun for the kids and lays a good foundation if they do want to pursue an instrument later.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,414,183 times
Hi, Angel...
I suggest buying your child a good travel guitar. I really like the Taylor Baby, but it isn't cheap. When strung with extra light gauge strings, and tuned to an open G chord, a 5 year old will easily get into playing, and by the time she's old enough to really get into formal instruction, the Baby will still work fine. Even as an adult, your child will still use it to take on trips or whatever. Travel guitars were designed for adults, but kids do well with them.

While 7 to 9 is when most young kids are old enough to really play, you never know a kid's potential. I've seen several little kids that took to the guitar like a baby duck to water. They generally do better and progress faster if a parent can play a little, and I've taught a few parents along with their children very successfully.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,210,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I wouldn't try to give a child that young guitar lessons. I would just make sure they have a decent 1/4 sized instrument to "play" with. I would keep it tune in an "open" tuning similar to a banjo a let them develop some natural abilities. At $30 to $25.00 per half hour You are probably not going to get a teacher to turn you down. but about the age of nine is a good time. The are too many things about the guitar that rely on cognitive learning for it to be worthwhile in child who is not at least out of Kindergarten.
This kid is only 8 years old and really took over Buddy Guy's stage.

8 year old guitar whiz Quinn Sullivan and Buddy Guy - YouTube

Here he is at age 6

AMAZING 6 YEAR OLD GUITARIST - YouTube

Here's a 5 year old who is excellent on the drums. That's right 5 years old.

ACDC - Back in Black - Drum Cover - 5 Year Old Drummer - YouTube

You tube is littered with these child artists.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 PM

Ah- those kids!
They are all just little laser beams. They go straight to what they like and burn a hole it it!

I have never taught one, but I've known a few. Only God can explain how they accelerate so fast.

Interestingly, that laser-like quality often causes child prodigies to burn out in their careers. Once that little 8-year old blues player turns 18, if he developed a career as a child prodigy, all of a sudden he's just another 18 year old kid who's very good on the guitar. If that early career is based on the novelty of childhood, it's gone forever.

But if that child as a young adult manages to grow and retain the qualities that distinguished him so much as a little kid, a long and rich career can await. Mozart and Brad Paisley were both just like this blues kid, and both just kept on growing and getting better. While their times and their music are vastly different, both moved on as adults. At some point, their mighty river became broader and all the stronger.

As often, as childhood passes, those same abilities are channeled elsewhere. I've seen prodigies who have abandoned their former passion completely and went on to do very well in entirely different endeavors. Unfortunately, I've also seen prodigies that reached their limits early and fell completely from their childhood's heights.

I think Yngwie Malmsteen is a good example of the last. He peaked at 17, became a sensation in the early 80's, and that was it. When the music moved on, he could not move along with it.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM

12,965 posts, read 13,698,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Ah- those kids!
They are all just little laser beams. They go straight to what they like and burn a hole it it!

I have never taught one, but I've known a few. Only God can explain how they accelerate so fast.

Interestingly, that laser-like quality often causes child prodigies to burn out in their careers. Once that little 8-year old blues player turns 18, if he developed a career as a child prodigy, all of a sudden he's just another 18 year old kid who's very good on the guitar. If that early career is based on the novelty of childhood, it's gone forever.

But if that child as a young adult manages to grow and retain the qualities that distinguished him so much as a little kid, a long and rich career can await. Mozart and Brad Paisley were both just like this blues kid, and both just kept on growing and getting better. While their times and their music are vastly different, both moved on as adults. At some point, their mighty river became broader and all the stronger.

As often, as childhood passes, those same abilities are channeled elsewhere. I've seen prodigies who have abandoned their former passion completely and went on to do very well in entirely different endeavors. Unfortunately, I've also seen prodigies that reached their limits early and fell completely from their childhood's heights.

I think Yngwie Malmsteen is a good example of the last. He peaked at 17, became a sensation in the early 80's, and that was it. When the music moved on, he could not move along with it.
This is very true, It is common for prodigy types to not play professionally or give it up all together after they become adults
Frank Zappa and Chuck Rainey took up the instruments that they were famous for late in life. Although they played other instruments along the way, they settled on a musical instrument after or around high school. Some thing parents over look is "music appreciation." I encourage parents to get young children a radio, CD player, Record Player or some similar device. It is invaluable to expose a young child at the earliest age possible music appreciation.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
This is very true, It is common for prodigy types to not play professionally or give it up all together after they become adults
Frank Zappa and Chuck Rainey took up the instruments that they were famous for late in life. Although they played other instruments along the way, they settled on a musical instrument after or around high school. Some thing parents over look is "music appreciation." I encourage parents to get young children a radio, CD player, Record Player or some similar device. It is invaluable to expose a young child at the earliest age possible music appreciation.
The remarkable thing about child prodigies is their high, but very specific, coordination. Young children do everything with great concentration, including listening to music. They are all very much in the moment, ski when music fascinates them, they listen very intently. This is pretty common.

What's less common is the early development of the very specific physicality that is needed for each particular instrument. The prodigies all have inventive ways of overcoming their short little fingers, or whatever, and have as intense a desire to make music as to listen to it.

By the time a 5-year old whiz bang reaches 12 or 13, music is already old hat, but a skateboard or bike is brand new. Developing social skills becomes important, and all that stuff. When a 13 year old takes up music for the first time, there is only about 8 years before early adulthood, as opposed to a 14 year span for a prodigy.

Johnny Carson once had a 5 year old blues organ player on his show. The kid was scary good on the organ, but really struggled trying to write his name when Johnny asked for his autograph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music