Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have been thinking about this for a while. My observation is that fans of rock music tend to be the least interested in and even most hostile to other types of music.

Not everyone likes everything of course, but it seems like there is a greater openness between the other genres, whereas rock fans are hostile to anything that doesn't fit into their mold.

They seem to be the ones most likely to flip out if a country, classical or dance song is heard on speakers around them. It's like it's hurting their ears to even occasionally have to hear Mozart, Kenny Rogers or Usher.

(What is really ironic is that if they had a look at the personal music collections of their rock music heroes, they'd actually find tons of stuff from a whole range of musical genres - not just rock.)

So, has anyone else noticed this?

And BTW, I actually like rock music.
When it comes to guys who are into 70's/80's arena rock/hair metal and think it's the zenith of music, yeah, they're pretty damn dismissive of other genres and generally not interested in actually giving anything that isn't played by a guy with frizzed hair, a slime green Ibanez JEM, and skin-tight white tiger print pants that show his junk all bent out of shape. Kind of telling.

But then, I grew up around people who were way into hip hop and not interested in anything that had a guitar (let alone a violin or horns) or was sung as opposed to rapped. To say nothing of jazz or classical snobs who think that everything else is just bile. It works both ways.

And, this said, I am a guitarist who has played in metal, punk and hardcore bands. Here are a few songs that often come up on my workout playlist:

Fat Joe Safe 2 Say (the incredible).wmv - YouTube

Major Lazer & La Roux - In 4 The Kill Pon De Skream - YouTube

Charlie - Spacer Woman (1983) - the original upload HQ - YouTube

COIL - ANS ( FRAGMENT 1 ) - YouTube

Coil "All the pretty little horses" - YouTube

The Prodigy - Take Me To The Hospital - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,886,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I find the people who protest the loudest are often the dimmest bulbs. Most anybody with any intelligence likes a variety of music. Personally I can take pretty much anything if it is performed by good musicians. I have my preferences, but I see no reason to chastise others for what they like.
Nah, some just flat out suck! LOL I'll take Wilson over Justin any day! I'll keep my nards when I do it!

Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River - YouTube

Wilson Pickett - Funky Broadway - In The Midnight Hour - YouTube

Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 PM

372 posts, read 1,043,167 times
Fans can be all over the place - hard to tell. I know there are still a few Blues fans that question your "soul" if you aren't of African ancestry and didn't grow up during the depression.

I will say as a (former) working musician in the Blues,Rock, Psychobilly and Cow-punk genres, the least tolerant musicians come out of the Jazz and Classical genres. That's just my opinion based on my personal experience. Not surprised about the Classical musicians, as it is a very structured form of music, but Jazz is an "out-of-the-box" form. Apperently their are still strict rules to "out-of-the-box".

Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
My Dad loved his music, 40's, 50's, Sinatra was his favorite.

in his opinion the Beatles and anything after that was crap.

it's not restricted to classic rock fans.

for me classic rock is my favorite, and there's quite a bit of new rock I like.

not a fan of rap but I can listen to it, techno on the other hand....

Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Please, no more hair rock!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:19 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK1 View Post
Why yes...yes that is true! I HATE Rap and Hip Hop music! I'm not a fan of Classical either. I wasn't brought up to. I can see it now...wear my carpenter jeans and Wolverines into a play or Opera OR SOMETHING! LMAO Get out...will ya! LOL Nope, I'll stick to my Classic Rock and Blues...with a pinch of ROCKY Country!
Please tell me you weren't serious with this line? you hate rap/hip-hop but you like Cypress Hill?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
Fans can be all over the place - hard to tell. I know there are still a few Blues fans that question your "soul" if you aren't of African ancestry and didn't grow up during the depression.

I will say as a (former) working musician in the Blues,Rock, Psychobilly and Cow-punk genres, the least tolerant musicians come out of the Jazz and Classical genres. That's just my opinion based on my personal experience. Not surprised about the Classical musicians, as it is a very structured form of music, but Jazz is an "out-of-the-box" form. Apperently their are still strict rules to "out-of-the-box".
Jazz is not just freely improvised music. It's improvisation within a structure (swing time/swung note/etc). A structure that takes time and practice to learn to play within (let alone improvise within). Yes, it is true that some jazzers can be really arrogant. However, I've seen a lot of cases where this arrogance is a reaction to the ignorance of others.

I've met tons of classic rock fans who dismiss jazz music without breaking a sweat. And I've heard every single misconception and stereotype in the book. From the notion that it's just an improvised music with no structure to the idea that jazz is depressing elevator music (because they don't understand that "smooth jazz" isn't really jazz). It's at that point I will not hesitate to tell them that their favorite guitarists could not play in swing without lots of practice. Sure, a lot of classic rock guitarists have been influenced by jazz musicians and incorporated jazz scales in their playing, but that's still a long ways away from playing jazz music. Jazz is, in some ways more advanced and difficult than classical music. Specifically when it comes to individual performances. On the other hand, classical is more of a group effort (unless we're talking about fugues, sonatas, etudes, etc), so just as difficult, but in a different way. It's more about working as a well-oiled machine (and being convincing about it).

Of course, I've encountered classic rock fans who make negative comments about classical as well. However, classical music doesn't need me to defend it. It's a widely respected artform and doesn't have as many false notions among the general public as jazz.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM

2,817 posts, read 1,886,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Please tell me you weren't serious with this line? you hate rap/hip-hop but you like Cypress Hill?
I hate Cyress Hill. It was a hate/love post!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:31 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When it comes to guys who are into 70's/80's arena rock/hair metal and think it's the zenith of music, yeah, they're pretty damn dismissive of other genres and generally not interested in actually giving anything that isn't played by a guy with frizzed hair, a slime green Ibanez JEM, and skin-tight white tiger print pants that show his junk all bent out of shape. Kind of telling.
I used to listen to hair bands (occasionally still do) but now I usually listen to indie or adult alternative with classic new wave and alternative. I got tired of hearing the same type of songs over again. Not mayn hair bands have reivented themselves, and if tehy do they failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
But then, I grew up around people who were way into hip hop and not interested in anything that had a guitar (let alone a violin or horns) or was sung as opposed to rapped. To say nothing of jazz or classical snobs who think that everything else is just bile. It works both ways.
I find this to be very true with any genre in the R+B community (rap, hip hop old R+B.) So many people I know who listen to that music doesn't listen to anything remotely rock or country. They won't even listen to Lenny Kravitz, Hendrix, Living Colour or TV on the Radio. Whatever.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
My Dad loved his music, 40's, 50's, Sinatra was his favorite.

in his opinion the Beatles and anything after that was crap.

it's not restricted to classic rock fans.

for me classic rock is my favorite, and there's quite a bit of new rock I like.

not a fan of rap but I can listen to it, techno on the other hand....
Everyone needs a mental enema sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music