Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,772 times

Advertisements

here's another music trivia:name me as many pop songs that mention another band or singer or band member in the lyrics.
here's an easy one-life is a rock by reunion from the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 01:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Tex Ritter's "Hillbilly Heaven"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHG3h00acoo

The Commodores "Night Shift"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6TNoVvZCMk

Eddie Cochran "Three Stars". I'm pretty sure Cochran, who died a year later, is himself mentioned in somebody else's song, but I can't put my finger on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhtYS-7hFM0

Hank Williams is mentioned in many songs, including "Luckenbach Texas" by Waylon Jennings and "Good Oe Boys Like Me" by Don Williams..

How about Chuck Berryu's "Roll over Beethoven"? Does Beethoven count as "a member of a band"?

Last edited by jtur88; 11-29-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
On Melissa Manchester's 1973 debut lp on one of her songs she sings that "I don't have the soul of Joni (Mitchell) or Ms. Laura (Nyro)"

On her follow up 'Bright Eyes" lp in 1974 she has a song "Ode To Paul"(Simon)

I think her follow up in 1975 has a song called "Stevie Wonder"

John Lennon sings on his confessional song (I forgot the name) on his Plastic Ono band debut lp "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me"

On Gino Vanelli's 1974 lp Powerful People he has a song called "Poor Happy Jimmy" who is Jim Croce who died the previous year

Billy Joel makes reference to the Beau Brummels in Its Still Rock & Roll To me

Little River Band's "Reminiscing" mentions Glenn Miller's band

Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" references Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Glenn Miller

Manhattan Transfer's Twilight Zone/Twilight Tone makes reference to Glenn Miller. many of their other songs reference other jazz performers too

Old 11-29-2013, 07:01 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
A few easy ones -- U2's reference to Lady Day in "Angel of Harlem." Don McClean's "American pie" is about Buddy Holly and references Mick Jagger.

and half of every rap song ever.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
I am only going to quote one rap song in this list:
Billy Joel mentioned Buddy Holly, Chubby Checker, Elvis Presley, Liberace, and had several other music references (Rock Around the Clock, Beatlemania, Woodstock, Punk Rock, Rock and Roll) in "We Didn't Start the Fire"
Cheap Trick mentioned KISS in "Surrender"
Gretchen Wilson mentioned Bocephus, Charlie Daniels, George Strait, Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynryd and Tayna Tucker in "Redneck Woman"
Kid Rock mentioned AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Bob Seger, Bocephus, David Allen Coe, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Rolling Stones by name and Run DMC by referencing them as The Kings of Rock in "American Bad Ass"
Kid Rock mentioned Hank Williams Jr, Billy Gibbons, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Reverend Run by name and Willie Nelson by referencing him as Shotgun Willie in You Never Met a Mother F***** Quite Like Me"
Limp Bizkit mentioned Deftones in one of their songs off of Results May Very
Miley Cyrus mentioned Britney Spears and Jay-Z in "Party in the USA"
Nickelback mentioned Cher and Elvis in "Rockstar"
Our Lady Peace mentioned John Lennon and Kurt Cobain in "Innocent"
Public Enemy referenced thrash metal band Anthrax with the line "wax is for Anthrax" from "Bring the Noize" (which led to the redone version with Anthrax)
The Ramones wrote a song about fellow punk Sid Vicious and his famous girlfriend Nancy in "Love Kills"
Simple Plan mentioned Cheap Trick in their cover of "Surrender"
Sum 41 mentioned Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in "Fat Lip"

Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Namedroppers: Famous names that show up in titles & in lyrics

Namedroppers: Famous names that show up in titles & in lyrics

There are tons more you just need to do a search for them.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:50 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,333,539 times
Steely Dan has a few.

Almost Gothic - Little Eva
New Frontier - Dave Brubeck
What I do - The Raelettes." If you can't dance by now/ The Raelettes will show you how".
Hey Nineteen - Aretha Franklin."She doesn't remember the Queen of Soul"
Show Biz Kids - Steely Dan

The Dan are impressionistic. They are their willing to leave things unstated and to occupy the grey zone.
Midnite Cruiser - Thelonious Monk
Kid Charlemagne - Frank Zappa

Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Bowling For Soup mentioned Blondie, Duran Duran, Madonna, Motley Crue, Nirvana, Ozzy Osborune, Van Halen, U2, Wham!, Whitesnake in "1985"
Bowling For Soup mentioned Bon Jovi in "Punk Rock 101"
Credence Clearwater Revival mention Buck Owens in "Lookin' Out My Backdoor"
Deep Purple mentioned Frank Zappa in "Smoke On the Water"
Pro-Wrestling tag team The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers mentioned Barry Manilow in their theme song "All-American Boys" when they claimed to be All-American boys (despite being French Canadian.)
Katy Perry mentions Mozart in "Ur So Gay"
L.A. Sound named a song "James Brown is Dead" and even had that lyric repeat in the song over and over.
Liz Phair mentioned herself in "Rock Me"
Methods of Mayhem mention Mixmaster Mike in "Get Naked"
Nickelback mentioned CCR in "This Afternoon"
The Offspring mentioned Ice Cube and Vanilla Ice in "Pretty Fly For a White Guy"
in the original 1985 by SR-71 version of "1985", they mention George Michael rather than Duran Duran Duran.
Reel Big Fish mentioned Snoop Doggy Dog in "Snoop Dog, Baby"
Regina Spektor mentioned Guns N Roses "November Rain" in "On the Radio"
Reliant K mentioned Marilyn Manson in "Marilyn Manson Ate My Girlfriend"
Spandau Ballet mention Marvin Gaye in "True"
Staind named a song "Layne" after Alice in Chains late lead singer Layne Stanley
Weird Al Yankovic mentions ABBA, Bee Gees, Billy Ray Cyrus, Debbie Boon, Donnie & Marie, New Kids On The Black, Slim Whitman, Tiffany, Vanilla Ice, Village People, Yoko Ono and Zamfir in "Achy Breaky Song"
Weird Al Yankovic mentions Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam) in "My Baby's In Love With Eddy Vedder"
Weird Al Yankovic mentions (fictional singer) Ricky Ricardo in "Ricky"
Weird Al Yankovic mentions Nirvana in "Smells Like Nirvana"
Weird Al Yankovic mentions Jethro Tull in "Virus Alert"

Old 11-30-2013, 06:05 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Paul Simon in Rene and Georgette Magritte and Their Dog After the War, mentions
The Penguins, The Moonglows, The Orioles, The Five Satins.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 PM

in The Ataris cover "Boys of Summer" they mention Black Flag
Avril Lavigne mention Radiohead in "Here's to Never Growing Up"
Bon Jovi mentioned Frank Sintara in "It's My Life"
Bowling For Soup mentioned Agent Orange and Godsmack in "Girl All the Bad Boys Want"
Bowling For Soup mentioned Pantera and Willie Nelson in "Ohio (Come Back to Texas)"
Busted mentioned Michael Jackson in "Year 3000"
Carrie Underwood mentioned Shania Twain in "Before He Cheats"
Darius Rucker mentioned Patsy Kline in "Alright"
Daughtry mention The Beatles, Billy Joel, Courtney Love, Elton John, Guns N Roses, Hole, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Motley Crue, The Rolling Stones Sammy Hagar, Tom Petty, U2 & Van Halen in
"Long Live Rock & Roll"
Don Henley mentioned Greatful Dead in "Boys of Summer"
Eddie Money mentioned Ronnie Spector of the Ronnettes in "Take Me Home Tonight"
Everclear mentioned Led Zeppelin in "AM Radio"
in The Jonas Brothers cover of "Year 3000" they mention Kelly Clarkson
Katy Perry mentioned Johnny Cash, June Carter and Radiohead in "The One That Got Away"
Ke$ha mentioned Mick Jagger and P. Diddy in "Tik Tok"
Lady Gaga mentioned The Killers in "Boys Boys Boys"
Maroon 5 mentioned Mick Jagger in "Moves Like Jagger"
Pink mentioned Jessica Simpson in So What
Pink mentioned Britney Spears in "Don't Let Me Get Me"
The Ramones mentioned Jerry Lee Lewis, John Lennon, T. Rex and other rock and roll references in "Do You Remember Rock n Roll Radio"
Red Hot Chili Peppers mentioned Kurt Cobain and maid veiled references to Courtney Love and David Bowie in "Californiacation"
Taylor Swift made a song named "Tim McGraw" mentioning the singer by the same name
Tenacious D mentioned various Ronnie James Dio songs in their song "Dio"
Train mention Mr. Mister in "Hey Soul Sister"
Weezer mentioned and named a song after Buddy Holly
Weezer mentioned Public Enemy in "El Scorcho" (they also mention wrestlers New Jack and Johnny Grunge in the song)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music