Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you prefer?
Queen 20 29.41%
Led Zeppelin 51 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:06 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,744,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Maybe Sabbath vs. Zep is a better comparison with them being 2 of the founders of metal.
Led Zeppelin is obviously not a metal founders, no Zeppelin song feel metal to me, they all feel bluesy rock'n'roll or some other varied genres. On the other hand, Black Sabbath can be considered metal, more exactly proto metal, Indeed, song like "Children of the Grave" feel pretty metal in musical structure/atmosphere and absolutely not bluesy. You can even noticed similar musical structure in a lot of later metal bands.

Last edited by Hartfordd; 04-29-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Both great but Zep. has the edge.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
ZEPPELIN all the way. Not even close. Honestly, I can't stand Queen. When I'm listening to the radio, and they put on a Queen song, I change the station. Not even exaggerating a little bit. But I've loved Led Zeppelin since I was fourteen years old.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:02 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Queen - they have the better songs. Plus, there's other bands that sounds like Led Zep but Queen is distinctive.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:13 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Not even close, and I take nothing away from Queen. They were amazing.

But for me Led Zeppelin was legendary, and one of the forefathers of the metal I know and love today. Their catalogue is incredible, and there are only a few songs by them I don't like. I honestly will never forget driving up to visit my aunt in the back of my parents Ford Fairlane station wagon with my radio late in 1970 (I was 10), and Led Zeppelin's The Immigrant song came on newly released. That was it, I was hooked. And I've never looked back.

Kashmir was my favorite song ever until I found Opeth (now my favorite band with Zep #2). Ghost of Perdition #1 song for me now. But without Zeppelin I have no idea where my musical tastes may have gone, although I was always intp rock back then.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:35 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Not even close, and I take nothing away from Queen. They were amazing.

But for me Led Zeppelin was legendary, and one of the forefathers of the metal I know and love today
See but this is what I don’t understand. When I listen to Zeppelin, I do not hear metal. All I hear is a rock band with very heavy blues influences. If you say Sabbath, ok, but Zepp, I just don’t hear it. In fact my favorite Zepp album is III, and in all honesty, “Immigrant Song” is my least favorite song on that record; the reason I love that record is because all the folksy and stripped down sound of the music, and off course, that ending "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper", brilliant.

But in all honesty I hear more metal in Queen than I do in Zepp. For example “Stone Cold Crazy”, “Dragon Attack”, "Tie Your Mother Down", "Flick of the Wrist”, etc. Now, I’m not saying that Queen is a band that is easier to get into. There are songs that I love that I don’t see a Zepp fan liking like "The Millionaire Waltz", “Radio Ga Ga” and “I want to break free” (that video alone probably turned off a lot of rock heads)….Queen was a contradiction since its inception.

As far as Opeth, I like their newer stuff, very traditionally proggy….

Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
LOL pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
Nope. Zepp maybe a hard rock imitation of a blues band...I usually argue that there is just 2 original songs on Zeppelin I.

I can definitely see the campy in Queen, but to dismissed them just like that is ignoring 85% or more of their material.

I haven't seen a band playing as passionate as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRt2jX1kaYo

Old 05-06-2017, 12:44 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
Led Zeppelin. Nothing against Queen, but you could match LZ against anyone and I would still vote for them.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:13 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Led Zeppelin. Nothing against Queen, but you could match LZ against anyone and I would still vote for them.
True, Lol. I'd pick the Beatles over Led Zeppelin. But no other BAND ( excepting certain individual artists) over Led Zeppelin

Old 05-07-2017, 12:00 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,527 times
I love them both. I give an edge to Zeppelin though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music