Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,882,789 times

Advertisements

Just released on NPR:

Sitar master Ravi Shankar has died at the age of 92...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Just released on NPR:

Sitar master Ravi Shankar has died at the age of 92...
I was just reading that:

Sitar legend Ravi Shankar, father of Norah Jones, dies at 92 - CNN.com

I was surprised he was still alive. I recall seeing the movie Concert for Bangladesh at a theater and watching Ravi perform his (long) set. I was in the proper 'mood' for the music, but was never able to sit and listen to it again on the album. Still, I appreciate his artistry.

By the by: Leon Russell's set of Jumping Jack Flash was spectacular.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM

18,227 posts, read 25,880,114 times
I appreciate it as well. I remember doing a thread August 1st of last year regarding the Bangladesh concert. Like legalsea I went and saw the movie when it came out, am thinking it was around March or April of 1972.

Around that time FM radio was giving the album quite a bit of airplay. IIRC this was the first concert of any kind that was set up as a fundraiser. Shankar had been friends with George Harrison for several years and appealed to him for help. And the people who were contacted by George and showed up? Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Leon Russell, Billy Preston, Badfinger. Other sidemen who have probably never showed up in any videos that I'm aware of would be drummer Jimmy Keltner, guitarist Jesse Ed Davis, bassman Klaus Voorman, and Jim Horn and the Hollywood Horn Band.

And Bob Dylan.

Rip, Mr. Shankar.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,307,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Other sidemen who have probably never showed up in any videos that I'm aware of would be drummer Jimmy Keltner, guitarist Jesse Ed Davis
Sorry to derail, but Jesse Ed Davis is on video playing with Taj Mahal on the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, and Keltner is on Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen film, and at least one Traveling Wilbury's video.

RIP Ravi. He has the aura of a person who has always existed. He can take credit, at least in part, for causing one of the major shifts in popluar music.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,882,789 times
I remember the movie well, too...we lived in a wonderful era for music!

RS was the first to bring Indian music to the western world-I love the sound of the sitar...

RIP indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I appreciate it as well. I remember doing a thread August 1st of last year regarding the Bangladesh concert. Like legalsea I went and saw the movie when it came out, am thinking it was around March or April of 1972.

Around that time FM radio was giving the album quite a bit of airplay. IIRC this was the first concert of any kind that was set up as a fundraiser. Shankar had been friends with George Harrison for several years and appealed to him for help. And the people who were contacted by George and showed up? Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Leon Russell, Billy Preston, Badfinger. Other sidemen who have probably never showed up in any videos that I'm aware of would be drummer Jimmy Keltner, guitarist Jesse Ed Davis, bassman Klaus Voorman, and Jim Horn and the Hollywood Horn Band.

And Bob Dylan.

Rip, Mr. Shankar.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM

27,600 posts, read 28,706,672 times
I saw Ravi Shankar perform a couple of times at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. His passing is another sad day for music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music