Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:21 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I might go a year earlier (1968) but what's a year. 1969?
Now that's funny. Not ten minutes ago I posted in the Military forum about helping one of the band members of the 1950s/1960s Fireballs push a drunk Elk (as in Elks Lodge) out of a snow drift in 1968. The Fireballs had some great tunes.

The 1950s had some great sounds but I only remember those tunes from my older brother and sister who were teenagers at that time. I was 11 years old in 1960 but the early to mid 1960s had some great music before acid and metal hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
So many think that 1969, the year of Woodstock, was the best year for music. But when you heard on the radio wasn't that great. The Archie's, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Lou Christie... There was a lot of garbage as well. Take a look at this http://www.chairborneranger.com/top100/top100-1969.htm Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin not found.

Last edited by pvande55; 03-02-2013 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Now that's funny. Not ten minutes ago I posted in the Military forum about helping one of the band members of the 1950s/1960s Fireballs push a drunk Elk (as in Elks Lodge) out of a snow drift in 1968. The Fireballs had some great tunes.

The 1950s had some great sounds but I only remember those tunes from my older brother and sister who were teenagers at that time. I was 11 years old in 1960 but the early to mid 1960s had some great music before acid and metal hit.
George Tomasco by chance? I've seen the Fireballs in concert a few times, love those guys! In fact, at the Albuquerque Record and CD convention the band got a table for one of those shows several years ago and sold some of their cd's, was happy to sign album covers if anyone had their album covers in the room (several people did.) Those guys were out of Raton, N.M. and THAT part of New Mexico certainly can get its share of snow-I know, I lived there for a time in the early 80's. I've talked to George several times over the years-good guy!

Regarding the Fireballs, their last top 20 single (Come On, React) was issued in late '68 and was on the charts for about a month in'69. IIRC some of their RIAA music awards are hanging in Norman Petty's recording studios in Clovis. Norman produced their Come On, React album that year, hence the award which was issued to HIM.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
George Tomasco by chance? I've seen the Fireballs in concert a few times, love those guys!
You know? To this day, I don't know which band member it was. At the time, I didn't even know that the band that was playing that evening was the same one who had produced Sugar Shack in 1963. I guess I was young and in love and paying too much attention to the young girl I knew was going to be my future wife. We were married in 1972.

I've been to the Clovis Music Festival twice in the past few years. The Fireballs are always there. I too love those guys. Interestingly, my old major prof at ENMU in the 1970s was also from Raton. I'm betting he probably knew these guys personally but, for all the hours we spent together, that's another opportunity I missed.

The Fireballs always did seem to be a great bunch of guys. Jimmy Gilmer was there at Clovis the first time I attended.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
I'm with the Big Swede; the early Rockers were the freshest, the wildest and the best.

I find it odd that person would express an opinion on the best year of Rock and Roll and not be familiar with the birth of the music. Like with online polls about the best Rock and Roll guitarist and people express opinions who are oblivious to the very existence of Scotty Moore, James Burton, Cliff Gallup and Steve Cropper.

IMO the best Rock and Roll of the late 60s-early 70s was by Creedence Clearwater Revival. I mean Rock and Roll, not "Rock".

Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
These are the bands I was into that time, although they may or may not have had albums released in '69 particularly:

Jimi Hendrix
Grand Funk Railroad
Janis Joplin ("Kozmic Blues" was released that year)
Canned Heat

I guess I was more into blues-rock.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 PM

I know Gilmer and the guys had a few rocky moments at times but as of now they're good. Yep, I saw them at Clovis once, Inn of the Mountain Gods in Ruidoso once, and one of the Route 66 Conventions Albuquerque had (early 2000's.)

I remember the swap meet when they got their table, one of the local collectors brought literally everything they recorded over to get signed. They were really impressed with the Torquay label and Top Rank label material from '61 and '62. Those items are SO rare. And SO cool!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
These are the bands I was into that time, although they may or may not have had albums released in '69 particularly:

Jimi Hendrix
Grand Funk Railroad
Janis Joplin ("Kozmic Blues" was released that year)
Canned Heat

I guess I was more into blues-rock.
More mindless trivia from my bedraggled noggin!

Hendrix. The only Hendrix lp released in 1969 was Smash Hits, original album pressings had a great poster inside with all 3 on horses in a cowboy town , presumably "practicing draw!" I remember buying that album and a half dozen others with my income tax refund check. The ONE notable thing about Smash Hits was a couple songs not making it on the first three lp's, one of them being "Stone Free." That remains one of my favorite Hendrix songs-ever!

Grand Funk Railroad. Self titled, I always refer to it as the red album (color of the cover) The noted song there IMO was Inside Looking Out, which Eric Burdon and the Animals covered a couple years earlier.

Joplin. I remember Rolling Stone magazine slamming the album "Kozmic Blues" on their review of it because of the back up band, and not Janis herself. I wasn't quite so critical, though I was surprised it wasn't another Big Brother and the Holding Co. lp. A couple 45's were released off that album, but didn't go far, sadly. Those two songs were "Kozmic Blues" and "Wake me, Lord". The flip side to the second one was "Maybe." Best song on the lp IMO. I was 18 at the time, didn't know much. (still don't!)

Canned Heat. Halleluiah was the album released that year, Living the Blues was released late '68. "Going Up The Country" was the big single from that 2 lp set.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-03-2013 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 03-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I know Gilmer and the guys had a few rocky moments at times but as of now they're good. Yep, I saw them at Clovis once, Inn of the Mountain Gods in Ruidoso once, and one of the Route 66 Conventions Albuquerque had (early 2000's.)
2006 was my first time at the Festival. We also attended this past year.

My older brother is a huge fan of Buddy Holly and the music of that era. I've taken my brother to all the Holly sites around Lubbock when he visits, e.g., Buddy's childhood home, the Museum, the Walk of Fame and the cemetery. We've even placed guitar picks on Buddy's grave to "keep the music alive.".

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 12-20-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
So many think that 1969, the year of Woodstock, was the best year for music. But when you heard on the radio wasn't that great. The Archie's, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Lou Christie... There was a lot of garbage as well. Take a look at this Billboard Top 100 for 1969 Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin not found.
I think a lot of people might say "One man's garbage is", etc., etc., etc.
What would I say? I say I could pick a year, actually most years in this era, and could come up with songs where I would say *#%%*#!#&&#, and a little more!

I took a look at that site and have an observation to make on the following hits:

52. Time Of The Season- Zombies
62. Cloud Nine- Temptations
82. Cinnamon- Derek
100.Time Of The Season- Zombies

I was 95% sure these songs were released between late October to late December of 1968, so I checked. While I don't consider Wikipedia the know-all end-all of all things information, I've found them to be for the most part somewhat accurate regarding general information with music. I also include Discogs in this vein as well. But it is Goldmine magazine's price guide to 45's is what I consider the ultimate source. Why? They've been tabulating information by all things music regarding all genres of music for years. How many years? Since the early 1980's. Jerry Osborne is the other price guide dude, he's been at it since 1975.

And they all say that these songs were released in 1968. (in regards to 45's anyway released in the States. For the record the Zombies Time Of The Season was actually released in 1967 on 45 in the UK, the American Album Odessy And Oracle, where Time Of The Seasons is on, was released in late 1968.

The rest of the list looks about right. I'm not familiar with these guys but will take a peek at their site to see how they've rated other years regarding top 100 hits on 45.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-02-2013 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: spelling, addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music