Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I have been listening to the Doors a lot lately. I really liked them 15 years ago, and my dad was about as big a Doors fan as you could get. I know the songs almost by rote, and even occasionally like to plunk down Manzarek's solos on the piano (I am a jazz piano player). Since re-listening to them recently though, it struck me that the songs just aren't as cool now (especially now that I am in my 30s and not in high school). Some of the songs are just downright rubbish. I still respect the hell out of Krieger, Manzarek, and Densmore as musicians. I have always been iffy on Morrison. A lot of the songs now just sound super pretentious to me. I'll still spin the records every once and a while, but I feel like I lost a lot of interest in their music.

Is this a band that you just grow out of? Does their music not stand the test of time? Does Morrison just ruin it for the other guys in the band? Or do you still love the Doors like you did when you first started listening to them?
As someone in my mid-50s, I had already reached this opinion by the early 90s.

What's interesting about 60s music is that some of the stuff that wasn't all that popular back then has managed to stand the test of time, e.g. Spirit's "12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" or Love's "Forever Changes" - and some of my 20-something employees have those bands and other obscure ones on their playlists. But no Doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
I have been listening to the Doors a lot lately.
Nothing ages well if you listen to it a lot, but add a Doors song to an appropriate television or movie sound track and it will sound as good and as relevant as the day it was recorded....

...damn now I have to go and find my copy of "Riders On The Storm."

Thanks a lot!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
I kind of ebb and flow on my opinion about "classic" bands. Some Beatles stuff I used to absolutely love will suddenly seem very overrated. Then a few years later it be well crafted and profound again. Maybe that's the way the Doors are to you.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 PM

709 posts, read 598,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I kind of ebb and flow on my opinion about "classic" bands. Some Beatles stuff I used to absolutely love will suddenly seem very overrated. Then a few years later it be well crafted and profound again. Maybe that's the way the Doors are to you.
Let's watch that video and listen to that tune again.......

Overrated is Justin Timberlake...

The Doors - L.A. Woman Official Video HQ - YouTube

Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 PM

Found it, I was looking for this.

I knew about it, but had to find it.

ShelbyMustang.com :: Morrison's Lost Shelby

The Doors - Break on Through - YouTube

$50 SAYS no one else knew that^^!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,907 times
Quote:
I have been listening to the Doors a lot lately. I really liked them 15 years ago, and my dad was about as big a Doors fan as you could get. I know the songs almost by rote, and even occasionally like to plunk down Manzarek's solos on the piano (I am a jazz piano player). Since re-listening to them recently though, it struck me that the songs just aren't as cool now (especially now that I am in my 30s and not in high school). Some of the songs are just downright rubbish. I still respect the hell out of Krieger, Manzarek, and Densmore as musicians. I have always been iffy on Morrison. A lot of the songs now just sound super pretentious to me. I'll still spin the records every once and a while, but I feel like I lost a lot of interest in their music.

Is this a band that you just grow out of? Does their music not stand the test of time? Does Morrison just ruin it for the other guys in the band? Or do you still love the Doors like you did when you first started listening to them?
I've been listening to the Doors since my youth and it has never gotten old. That said music is so subjective especially how saturated the music world is today. KC Sleuth I dare you to post your current top ten bands or songs for comparison. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
I've been listening to the Doors since my youth and it has never gotten old. That said music is so subjective especially how saturated the music world is today. KC Sleuth I dare you to post your current top ten bands or songs for comparison. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I hear ya man.... Oh dear God....it's 10 years old....time to melt them down and destroy the masters.

60's?

You mean there was a 60's?

I was born in 1998.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Quote:

i used to love the Doors when i was a young thing, when i was under 20. then it started to ring hollow. as the years have worn on i still love a few of their tunes, but by and large i consider the doors the most overrated band in history. its sophomoric. jim's poetry sounds terribly deep and sophisticated til you actually start reading stuff like rimbaud or even the beats- and then you realize jim is just a good looking guy with a half-assed grasp of poetry and a penchant for pissing people off.

add the fact that ray manzarek likes to moan on and on about how jim was such a genius and will usually preface a story of something horrible jim did with, "well, like all genuises......" is annoying as well. i mean, i know from genius. arthur lee and love would have been bigger than the doors if they had only wanted to tour. they were a huge influence on the doors and wiped the floor with them. never mind all the other great unsung sixties performers that didn't get their due-roky erikson for one.

also, everything i have read about jim, it just seems that he was a massive azzhole whom everyone fawned over. he mistreated and cheated on all of his girlfriends. he was always starting crap at parties to watch people fight. he LOVED making people squirm, making them uncomfortable. and because he was a good looking rock star, people indulged him. he was like pete dougherty- just out of control, a flaming azz whom everyone writes a blank check stamped "genius" on it to excuse behavior they wouldn't have put up with from toddlers, much less their friends.

i will give the doors props as provocateurs. they were very good at inciting conflicts, getting people stirred up, at theatre. and "break on through", "back door man", "L.A. Woman", "riders on the storm", "peace frog", "end of the night"......them are some good tunes.

and the band itself, hell yeah. it would have been hilarious if some hollywood guy had said to em, "we love you. ditch that singer".

Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i used to love the Doors when i was a young thing, when i was under 20. then it started to ring hollow. as the years have worn on i still love a few of their tunes, but by and large i consider the doors the most overrated band in history. its sophomoric. jim's poetry sounds terribly deep and sophisticated til you actually start reading stuff like rimbaud or even the beats- and then you realize jim is just a good looking guy with a half-assed grasp of poetry and a penchant for pissing people off.

add the fact that ray manzarek likes to moan on and on about how jim was such a genius and will usually preface a story of something horrible jim did with, "well, like all genuises......" is annoying as well. i mean, i know from genius.
arthur lee and love would have been bigger than the doors if they had only wanted to tour. they were a huge influence on the doors and wiped the floor with them. never mind all the other great unsung sixties performers that didn't get their due-roky erikson for one.

also, everything i have read about jim, it just seems that he was a massive azzhole whom everyone fawned over. he mistreated and cheated on all of his girlfriends. he was always starting crap at parties to watch people fight. he LOVED making people squirm, making them uncomfortable. and because he was a good looking rock star, people indulged him. he was like pete dougherty- just out of control, a flaming azz whom everyone writes a blank check stamped "genius" on it to excuse behavior they wouldn't have put up with from toddlers, much less their friends.

i will give the doors props as provocateurs. they were very good at inciting conflicts, getting people stirred up, at theatre. and "break on through", "back door man", "L.A. Woman", "riders on the storm", "peace frog", "end of the night"......them are some good tunes.
That's usually how you speak about your best friend after they passed away.

It's a hard concept to grasp for some......

Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 AM

858 posts, read 1,145,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

add the fact that ray manzarek likes to moan on and on about how jim was such a genius and will usually preface a story of something horrible jim did with, "well, like all genuises......" is annoying as well. i mean, i know from genius. arthur lee and love would have been bigger than the doors if they had only wanted to tour. they were a huge influence on the doors and wiped the floor with them. never mind all the other great unsung sixties performers that didn't get their due-roky erikson for one.

and the band itself, hell yeah. it would have been hilarious if some hollywood guy had said to em, "we love you. ditch that singer".
The Doors were the first American band to accumulate eight consecutive gold Albums. They were the mover and shakers of their time. It is what it is. Jim Morrison was in his early-mid twenties when he wrote his poetry, if he had lived through today, and continue to write, perhaps you would have a different viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music