Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM

979 posts, read 3,827,892 times

Advertisements

Is it me or does it seem like hip hop right now is awesomely good? I usually find myself disgusted listening to the top 40 radio staions because of the crappy songs they play but at the moment it is almost the only thing I listen to. With Kanye out with a couple great songs and Timbaland producing great stuff ie... Apologize... then you have have even 50 cents new song and that stupid superman song...I don't know.... like I said maybe it's just me but I do like these songs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
This is why I mostly listen to old school rap or artists that aren't mainstream enough to play on top 40 radio stations. I don't think it's just rap music though. Most of the mainstream artists played on these stations are horrible.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,251 times
It's just you......but then again I've been a diehard rap listening since late 80s/early 90s........and the last 5 years has sucked, especially being a west coast lover. It was one thing when we never got radio play, but could buy new albums. Now it seems like one or two good albums drops a year.......I can't listen to any of those songs you listed, nor any sexual song. I guess it is no better or worse than gangsta rap, but Im sick of everything being so sexual and full on innuendos.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 PM

130 posts, read 147,040 times
I feel like there is a lot of good hip hop out right now, it's just under the radar. The new Little Brother cd is one of my current favorites. Also Kanye West and Common's newest cd's were impressive. I'm looking forward to the new NAS as he rarely dissapoints me. Some of my current favorite Hip Hop artists who rarely if ever get any media attention are:

MURS
Lupe Fiasco
Zion I
Planet Asia
Ras Kass
Median
Sean Price

Old 11-14-2007, 03:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
I must take this opportunity once again to plug my hometown boys on the verge of breakout: Animate Objects.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 AM

979 posts, read 3,827,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
It's just you......but then again I've been a diehard rap listening since late 80s/early 90s........and the last 5 years has sucked, especially being a west coast lover. It was one thing when we never got radio play, but could buy new albums. Now it seems like one or two good albums drops a year.......I can't listen to any of those songs you listed, nor any sexual song. I guess it is no better or worse than gangsta rap, but Im sick of everything being so sexual and full on innuendos.
Lol! It is just me, isn't it!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Mainstream hip-hop is still in a sad state. Although Kanye West is very weak lyrically, his production is top-notch, so I'd say he's one of the few mainstream rappers at the moment worth checking out.

Even Jay-Z's new album is a disappointment, though he has been weak for awhile now.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,127 times
I heard Jay-Z's new one is his best since even The Blueprint, though The Black Album was pretty good...haven't heard it yet, don't plan on getting it though...

But I have to say, Kayne is a production genius. I've been listening to The Fix by Scarface a lot recently, and the two tracks he produced on that disc (In Cold Blood and Guess Who's Back) are dope. He really helped to resurrect Common's career too, with Be...I'm a fan of the Neptunes too, along with Just Blaze. But Kanye is amazing...

Old 11-16-2007, 05:35 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,251 times
Just Blaze is nice....I miss Battlecat, Fred Wreck, Soopafly, Daz and them cats....harder and harder unless you keep an eat to the street, which I don't have time for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music