Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,391,689 times

Advertisements

said my favorite of the bunch - John Lennon.

I was just listening to the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band album this morning and reaffirming that this is BY FAR my favorite piece of music to come out of the organization known as The Beatles.
I love almost every song on this album more than my favorite Beatles songs (some of which I also love very much).
I'm not here to argue with Beatles fans, just to say that Lennon was the latest/ and the greatest/ of them all. And this album is my proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 AM

12 posts, read 45,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

I was just listening to the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band album this morning and reaffirming that this is BY FAR my favorite piece of music to come out of the organization known as The Beatles.
I love almost every song on this album more than my favorite Beatles songs (some of which I also love very much).
I'm not here to argue with Beatles fans, just to say that Lennon was the latest/ and the greatest/ of them all. And this album is my proof.
Lennon and the Beatles just broke up his interviews at the time show him angry at not only the Beatles but the Stones. One thing most of the people who say they don't like the Beatles fine but remember this they have been the biggest influence on rock music and pop music the last 40 years. When was the last major artist in the last twenty years influenced by Elvis. The Beatles influenced U2, Nirvana, ColdPlay, Oasis, Radiohead and even McFly. I found some of the comments funny especially being in a band who is influenced by the Beatles.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Well, as I said previously, I love some of the Beatles songs.
I don't deny that they had a bigger influence on pop music than Lennon did.
I just like him a lot better on his own.
If I were in a band that wanted to emulate music from previous generations, I would focus on Lennon's solo music and forget completely (if I could) tripe like "The Long and Winding Road".

Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,598,989 times
John Winston Lennon, MBE (9 October 19408 December 1980),

Has it really been 27 years tomorrow?? How many today will be remembered half as long??

Moderator cut: sorry, no copyrighted images

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-08-2007 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,373,866 times
I am more a fan of post-beatles work. Likely since I grew up with those tunes. But some of george harrison's (esp.) and john lennons and mccartney's post beatles stuff was really great music. Also ringo... but not so much.

I think the beatles needed to break up when they did.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 PM

13,679 posts, read 20,818,601 times
Quote:
It is probably the best effort by a Beatle on his own. Lennon's solo stuff was the best of the four, although they all had their moments and then some. JLPOB as well as Imagine, I would agree, are in the same league as his Beatles work.

Its a great record, a masterpiece. The problem is that its so sad. Its the results of his primal scream therapy, which was all the rage at the time. Its very introspective, not something you throw on when readying for a night out on the town. Same with Imagine although it has a bit more cheer.

Lennon was more intellectual than McCartney, more of a dreamweaver, a searcher. And he took a 5 year sabbatical and then of course died. Consequently his work is not saturated with a lot of bad stuff.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,481,106 times
"And to quote John Lennon: 'I dont believe in Beatles, I just believe in me'. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus! It still wouldnt change the fact that Id still have to bum rides off of people."

-Ferris Bueller

Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,610,378 times
I have the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band album on vinyl ...I bought it at a used record store over 20 years ago ...it 's on an original pale ghost like apple label ...I think it's his best album by far.... sometimes difficult to listen to ...but a very honest record ....featuring Klaus Voorman on bass ...Ringo on drums ...very stark ...very bitter ....I especially like the song "Remember" ...driving keyboards and a witty last line "remember the 5TH of November..." (Guy Fawkes Day) ... almost all the songs are good ...another good tune is the nasty "I Found Out" ....some of the lyrics are definitely controversial ...the last song "God" features a litany of things (myths) that Lennon states he doesn't believe in...including the shocking "the Beatles" which to Lennon at the time seemed like a myth ...he had been seeing primal scream doctor Arthur Janov thru most of 1970 and the album was part of his therapy... he never again ascended these heights of creativity but his next album "Imagine" was also quite good

Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Its a great record, a masterpiece. The problem is that its so sad. Its the results of his primal scream therapy, which was all the rage at the time.
All true. I know about the primal scream therapy but I didn't know it was all that popular. I like to think of it as just the vocals - and he doesn't even scream all that much throughout. One thing I like about his vocals (here and in The Beatles) is the raspy, screamy quality it takes on sometimes.
The sadness is certainly there but it's usually accompanied by that intense, driving rhythm section - the lyrics are very sad, but it makes me happy somehow - I guess that's how the Blues is supposed to work.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,359,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

And I counter that George was at least his equal and whose potential as a contributing songwriter was criminally overlooked, and I submit All Things Must Pass as my proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music