Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
They have to share some of that fame and praise with the actual writer of the song.
That sounds pretty admirable to me.

Do you not think sharing is a good concept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That sounds pretty admirable to me.

Do you not think sharing is a good concept?

Now you're grasping at straws. You aren't seeing the real question I have posed here. Please refrain from further targeted comments aimed at derailing the discussion. It is my OPINION that artists who write and and play their own songs are more talented and admirable than those who play songs that other people have written. You have a different opinion.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Now you're grasping at straws. You aren't seeing the real question I have posed here. Please refrain from further targeted comments aimed at derailing the discussion.
LOL. A little irony is good for your blood.

Quote:
It is my OPINION that artists who write and and play their own songs are more talented and admirable than those who play songs that other people have written. You have a different opinion.
And your opinion about said topic is being skewered with logic, common sense, and history. Enjoy.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I don't mind if they have creative input whether it is chord structure, lyrics or vocal styling. Let's remember covers aren't written by the artists but not all groups do covers the same even in the same genre. See Gravity Kill's "Personal Jesus" vs. Marilyn Manson's "Personal Jesus."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de6TRyiRv7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6fyhZ0G5E

Old 06-11-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL. A little irony is good for your blood.

And your opinion about said topic is being skewered with logic, common sense, and history. Enjoy.
You have yet to use any facts, yes musicians can still become famous, world renowned and even legendary without writing their own songs, but it doesn't mean they will gain as much respect, in my opinion; it's all conjecture on both sides, I'm sorry you can't see this. You just continue to revel in your cockamamie fantasy world. Enjoy it, and enjoy being ignored. Hopefully we can get back on the topic at hand.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
A great cover song can be a beautiful thing. But unless it's a tribute album for a specific band, I don't want an entire album of 'em.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Not writing their own songs doesn´t make them less talented as performers.
They will not gain your respect, but perhaps the rest of the world respect as much as someone who writes their own songs.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I think many people are getting cover songs mixed up in this discussion.

The issue is who do you find more artistically creative. A great singer who doesn't write most of her own stuff like Mariah Carey. Or artists like Adele who do.

I think there is a huge difference between an artist who only sings and one who sings and can play an instrument and write songs. Singers who perform other's songs regularly is more of a pop, mainstream country and modern R&B thing. Singers who regularly perform other's songs are product slingers not musicians.

There's a reason the Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen are considered great musicians and it's not for their voices.
I love Tom Waits voice. But granted, he is best known for his songwriting but even then, his wife collaborates with him.

None of that really matters.......he's the best.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:38 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Well, I have slightly more respect for someone who writes their own stuff, sure.

But I don't really care if they don't, so long as it all sounds good. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a collaboration of skills coming together. Do we really think all the members of every rock band puts in equal amounts of work on the writing itself? Heck no. But it sounds great when they're done; that's all that really matters, IMO.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Well, I have slightly more respect for someone who writes their own stuff, sure.

But I don't really care if they don't, so long as it all sounds good. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a collaboration of skills coming together. Do we really think all the members of every rock band puts in equal amounts of work on the writing itself? Heck no. But it sounds great when they're done; that's all that really matters, IMO.
Not quite, but most rock bands DO write their own songs. Usually the lead singer, sometimes a collaborative effort with other members or outside influences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music