Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 PM

746 posts, read 1,678,799 times

Advertisements

Nowadays all we have is fluff garbage like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc. Where are all the really deep, angry girls of yore that used to really give their all?
Shirley Manson of garbage, Alanis Morissette(OLD Alanis, not new), Tracy Bonham.....
Even older Fiona Apple. What happened?

BTW, anyone else you can think of the past twenty years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,650,396 times
Don't count the queens out yet. I believe they just came out with a new album and are starting to tour. How can you go wrong with Kurt's wife? Sheryl is nothing but MAX either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP0P8...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlywcuw-1TU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeLXw...eature=related

Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 AM

Yep, Heart's new one is titled RED Velvet Car. Red Velvet Car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUu_c...eature=related

Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Nowadays all we have is fluff garbage like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc. Where are all the really deep, angry girls of yore that used to really give their all?
Shirley Manson of garbage, Alanis Morissette(OLD Alanis, not new), Tracy Bonham.....
Even older Fiona Apple. What happened?

BTW, anyone else you can think of the past twenty years?
Evanescence. Love this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih61MJ72v1Y

Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,231,086 times
It is generational, the angry Gen was X, the millennials are not into the mean and angry thing.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Ahhhh...YEAH!!! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o_8t...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66acq...eature=related

Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM

746 posts, read 1,678,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It is generational, the angry Gen was X, the millennials are not into the mean and angry thing.
Okay, but if anything, this generation has more to be angry about than ever before. Economy, war, AIDS, poverty, corruption, human rights, on and on and on.....
Or is this the generation of mindless consumption? As long as they have iPods, cellphones and facebook, nothing else matters? Just run off the cliffs like lemmings?
It just annoys me that based on what the current hits are with youngsters, that we have a future of dumb adults on our hands that either A: don't know anything about the world around them or B: simply don't care.

And I'm not trying to lump all of them in the same pot, we all know there are whip smart guys and gals out there that are ahead of the curve. We also all know that there are complete idiots that don't know any better. It just seems that the scales seem to be tipping towards moronland.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Okay, but if anything, this generation has more to be angry about than ever before. Economy, war, AIDS, poverty, corruption, human rights, on and on and on.....
Or is this the generation of mindless consumption? As long as they have iPods, cellphones and facebook, nothing else matters? Just run off the cliffs like lemmings?
It just annoys me that based on what the current hits are with youngsters, that we have a future of dumb adults on our hands that either A: don't know anything about the world around them or B: simply don't care.

And I'm not trying to lump all of them in the same pot, we all know there are whip smart guys and gals out there that are ahead of the curve. We also all know that there are complete idiots that don't know any better. It just seems that the scales seem to be tipping towards moronland.
It is how generational cycles go, look at the GI Generation (born 1901-1924), they grew up with WWI, the Depression and WWII, yet they were the happiest generation of the century. The Millennials are a “Hero” generational type, just like the GI Gen. The Mills will happily work together to fight the crisis at hand, which could be very good for us as the Gis did, or bad with “happy” united authoritarianism. In the book Generations & their Follow-up book Fourth Turning, Strauss & Howe talk about the generational cycles, they wrote generations in 92 when the Millennials were still being born, their description of how they will act has been spot on. Fourth Turning

Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,593,257 times
They might have more to be angry about, but there's some reason to think they're more optimistic. Also there's some factors that alter things.

Generation X grew up in an age with a, mostly, higher crime rate than now. They also had to live with being constantly overlooked as the media in that era continued to pay more attention to the "Woodstock generation." Society was also still going through a bit of a transition with rising divorce rates. Kids in the "millennial generation" are maybe just as likely to be in broken homes, but maybe divorced parents no how to handle it better.

Also, the polls I've read, it's possible this new generation has rebelled against the idea of generational rebellion. When they polled them they show great appreciation for the work ethic of older people. Many of them like Betty White and listen to Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix. Maybr for them parents and elders not being in their life makes them sad more than quite so angry. So they often seem to embrace feel-good statements about working together despite differences rather than thinking the solution to everything is rage or revolt.

This is likely sounding a tad too positive, particularly since I don't agree with the new generation on much. However I would say they don't seem any more greedy or consumerist than kids my age were, maybe even less. Instead I'd say the polls indicate their fault might be to be a bit soft-headed and maybe immature. Although much of this is really hard to judge because this coming generation has been raised on a hundred channels and the Internet. They have less "shared experiences", I think, than many of the generations before them. The closest "shared experience" they have might be 9-11, but that's something that's seen in many ways by many people. So really any statement of "they're like X" is probably more wrong than it is of other generations. (Because there's a bit wrong about all these generational-images. A good many "Baby Boomers" voted for Nixon, some twice, and probably at least some who did thought he was too moderate. A great many Generation Xers were not particularly angry or cynical and listened to bubblegum-pop or even the sappier forms of country music. And going back again I'm quite positive some in the "Greatest Generation" threw tomatoes at black kids for daring to go to "whites only" schools and cheated on their wives)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music