Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:55 AM

474 posts, read 384,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah, before NWA and the other "gangster" rappers there was T repping the entire state on a national level, and had all the bangers in LA trying to figure out his "affiliation". He really doesn't get the credit he deserves.
It's interesting, as a metal appreciator first, and a hip hop appreciator second, Ice T. seems very much a household name to me, and his contributions are well noted... but then again, most people (then & now) didn't know that 'Cop Killer' was a song recorded with his metal band Body Count, and not a rap track. Y'all been out of touch since '92.

The latest B.C. record has done pretty well notably, and Ice has said he has no intention of being associated with rap because of where it is at the moment (which it too bad, as he's probably more irked with the existence of the likes of Lil' Wayne than someone like B. Dolan who has... um... what do they call it again? Oh, yeah, talent) and would prefer to do metal music. It's been all good to me. The S.T. cover is utterly hilarious (and appropriately updated).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sokdL-0iV9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jXnZS3ouU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:10 AM

474 posts, read 384,538 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8niW3JTj_I

Since I mentioned it, some Dolan for good measure... because not all modern rap is horses__t.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
GrandMaster Flash and the Furious Five, Melle Mel, Blondie and The Beastie Boys.

No gangster crap.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:39 PM

254 posts, read 436,439 times
Eric B and Rakim
Tupac
WuTang
Biggie
Eminem

Old 11-05-2015, 02:24 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya probably for me also. WHEN RAP WAS REALLY RAP!! (Not this hip hop garbage they play now)

Did any RAP ever make it to the analog platform?? (Records,etc) -- I know some R&B did but I dont know about RAP..
Yes, Probably ALL rap made it to vinyl. I have quite a large collection of it.

As far as the OP goes, I like the pioneers and that era, where it was all about talkin' ****, and not killing each other.

Sugar Hill
Treacherous Three
RunDMC
BDP

I was glad to see De La Soul getting a lot of love in here. I thought they were pretty great too.

But my all time favorite as far as just spittin rhymes has got to be :

Big Daddy Kane.

Spoiler

Old 11-05-2015, 02:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
pre '85

Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
It's interesting, as a metal appreciator first, and a hip hop appreciator second, Ice T. seems very much a household name to me, and his contributions are well noted... but then again, most people (then & now) didn't know that 'Cop Killer' was a song recorded with his metal band Body Count, and not a rap track. Y'all been out of touch since '92.
Tell me about it. I can't count the number of times people tried calling me out (even on this forum) for saying that "99 problems" was an Ice-T track.

As for me, I'm in the '91-'96 camp myself:

Ice Cube
Cypress Hill
Kool Moe Dee
Mobb Deep
Redman

Modern talents I like, but weren't in the aforementioned era:
Hopsin
Bo-rat
Nocando
Illmaculate
First 1-2 albums of Eminem
Busta Rhymes
Pharaoh Monch
plenty of others, I'm sure

Honorable mentions:
Pretty much anything major pre-91. I think I JUST missed the boat on these guys...they influenced everything I like and I'm sure I'd have been a bigger fan if I were born just a couple years earlier.

Doggystyle- album. This is one of (if not) my favorite albums of all time, but I can't stand anything that Snoop has done since.

Spice 1 - I love his first...I think 4 albums (up to and including 1990-sick)? But there's something about him I can't explain, it's almost as if either:

a) 90% of his songs are ghost-written and the 10% he wrote himself are crap
or
b) vice versa

Because for every 9 diamond tracks like "187 proof" or "trigga gots no heart", there's one piece of garbage like "I'm the f****n murderer" or "what the f***" where there are almost no lyrics at all because he staggers syllables:

"I kicks the r-uh r-uh red r-uh r-uh rum
and leave your b-uh b-uh body n-uh n-uh numb"

God, I'm mad just thinking about that song. Why is everything else so good, and then THAT SONG?

Wu-tang clan: Crazy talented, but the verses felt too "freestyle" for me (which I understand is part of the appeal, but I'd dig them more in a cypher than on an album). Just personal taste...I love these guys.

Notable absences:
2pac: I'm just not as into him as everyone else was. I loved the album "strictly for my *****z", but I never saw him as revolutionary as everyone else did I guess. I don't DISLIKE him, I just didn't like him as much as everyone else

Biggie: Same as 2pac, except I liked him even less...I really enjoyed a few tracks but that was about it.

Nas: Was a close call. I think I wanted to rule him out because personally he's kind of a d-bag. But he's definitely talented.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:03 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,635 times
Unreal that no one has mentioned Bone Thugs-N-Harmony which is probably the most unique and talented group of all time. I listened to E. 1999 Eternal the other day and it still sounds as fresh as day 1 which was over 20 years ago.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:14 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
1991 to 1999

2pac
Scarface
Nas
Ice Cube
Dr Dre

Old 06-08-2020, 04:57 AM

1 posts, read 150 times
My favourite rappers are Eminem, Lil Wayne, Mac Miller, 999 and Kanye West.
Rap God by Eminem is still the greatest rap song for me. He had crossed all the limits of excitement. Circles by Mac Miller was one of my favourite albums. He was a great rapper. I still cant believe he is no more with us. Best Rapper Alive was one of my favourite song by Lil Wayne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music