Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Just simply called "Beck Bogert, and Appice Live." Wikipedia gives an OK overview on it. They say the album was released on October 21, 1973. And it's a Japan only release. I lived in the Denver area at the time and I wasn't aware of it being released. We had several stores selling import vinyl but for some reason that lp went right by me. And when I found about it the lp was long out of print.

About 20 years ago I saw that lp on a display board at the Spring Austin Record Show. Wished I hadn't waited on it, it sold later that morning. The price? I'm sure it was up there!
I believe I have seen that record a few times over the years. I never knew that was an import.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree with that but, being a garage band veteran of the late '60s early '70s I played with some true 'characters', and I use that term as a matter of endearment. I have no doubt there are also some musicians who while their hands have access to a wide variety of different forms of musical expression, their minds could explain none of it, they simply do it because it feels right. I worked with a piano player for a few weekends who was self-taught and could only play in two keys, but lordy he ROCKED those two keys!

Nothing wrong with theoretical training but I believe there is also a number of musicians who wind up playing within those very same theories who can explain little of it, it just 'sounds right' to them.
That's all certainly true. There are countless untrained musicians doing amazing things. Playing by Ear, they usually call it. The converse i s also true. There's no shortage of highly trained musicians who are really boring.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 PM

408 posts, read 723,891 times
I (for whatever reason) couldn't really get into Jeff Beck...

He was always mentioned whenever I'd look for new (old) guitarist to listen to but I just don't get the allure... he's good, very good... but I just can't listen to too much of him...

not quite a "seasoned" guitarist yet.... so ignore me

Old 09-06-2016, 03:48 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And speaking of the world over, I wonder why their live lp, released by CBS Sony in Japan in early 1974, was never released in the States? I don't get it.

It IS available on compact disc thankfully! Maybe half of the single disc set is covered by the BBA lp, but "Jeff's Boogie' and "Plynth" are represented here. So is "Going Down" which is off his 1972 lp.

The only thing that disappoints me about this CD is there was nothing from Rough And Ready. Other than that I really like it. It never came out in the States. Beck was clipping along with an lp a year through the 70's/early 80's. Blow By Blow was a classic lp. Still is, in fact.
Did put out a lot in the 70s but not every year.

Jeff had a bad car accident ...november 1969, that side lined him for almost 18 months.
Jeff planned on forming a band with Bogert and Appice, that had to be put on hold.
Mean while waiting they formed a group called Cactus.
So no album by Jeff in 1970.

After his two best selling albums Blow by Blow and Wired,
no more new albums by Beck until 1980, a four year gap.

I personally like his playing a lot, I think he's great.

Did not have the success of either Page or Clapton though.

He was never in a super popular legendary band like Zeppelin.
Nor could he really sing like Clapton.
I think he did sing lead on his first single in early 1967, "Tallyman",
vocals not so good,if that's him singing, stick to guitar for sure.

Great tone and very creative playing, always.

After Clapton quit the Yardbirds, they approached Page as replacement,
Page declined the offer but recommended his friend Jeff Beck.
It ended up a good choice, Beck was fantastic with the Yardbirds.
Listen to the amazing stuff he does on "I 'm a Man".

Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
I would take anything page has done, zeppelin and yes even The Firm over anything BEck has done...just my personal preference

prefer Clapton to beck as well

Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I would take anything page has done, zeppelin and yes even The Firm over anything BEck has done...just my personal preference

prefer Clapton to beck as well
Yes? Hmmm....ok...but my intention with the post was to limit the discussion to page, beck, clapton....and get opinions as to which one is the better guitar player...I think one can say that guy is technically a great guitarist even if you don't like their music. I take everything The Who and Rush have made over anything Beck has done, but I don't think neither Townshend nor Lifeson are better than Beck in terms of guitar playing.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Lifeson might give Beck a run for his money...

Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 AM

536 posts, read 853,012 times
I love Jeff Beck's playing, to this day.

And I find it interesting to hear everybody's comparisons of Beck to Page, Clapton, & Hendrix.

I went to school in the SF Bay area '67-70. I saw all 4 guitarists numerous times, in their prime, at the Fillmore & Winterland.

My recollections:

Clapton was the most precise, & had the strongest sense of intonation of the 4 great guitarists. I saw Cream twice in '67 at the Fillmore, & 2 more times at Winterland in '68. I recall Clapton being on fire, Baker was awesome, & Bruce was rather screechy, with somewhat out of tune bass playing. Tales of Brave Ulysses!

Page was a wider ranging & more explosive musician than Clapton, but like everyone says, very sloppy. I saw Zep twice on the debut tour at the Fillmore in Jan '69, & then twice again at Winterland a few months later. I loved Led Zep 1. To me, it was the real beginning of Heavy Metal. How Many More Times!

Beck was a master of feedback, sustain, & the wah wah. But again, like many say, songwriting was never his primary concern. I saw the Jeff Beck Group with Stewart, Wood, & drummer Mickie Waller twice at the Fillmore on the Truth tour in '68. Ain't Superstitious!

Jimi was the greatest showman, & the most wild on guitar. One can only imagine the even greater accolades he would get today if locking tuners had been invented back then. I saw The Experience play two times at Winterland in Feb '68...& it was absolutely thrilling. But again, if you go back & listen to the live recordings...intonation was always a problem. Manic Depression!

Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Beck is one of the few rock guitarist who you can't tell who he copied and you can't copy him without it sounding like a down right rip off of his playing. I think he controlled the inherent intonation problem with the Fender Strat better than any one playing them. The necks move around a lot so he plays high on the neck near the bolts.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:33 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Lifeson might give Beck a run for his money...
How?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music