Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:48 PM

202 posts, read 250,564 times

Advertisements

I once asked who the BEST guitar player was, and several people responded that they felt Taylor Swift was. That made me sad. Her guitar playing is about as basic and simple as it gets. Yet people responded that she was one of the best. If she is among the greats, it begs me to ask this question just to see peoples responses.
Who are the worst guitar players. I define "guitar player" as anyone who actively plays a guitar in any capacity-not necessarily a band member whose primary role is that of a guitarist. It can include a vocalist or singer/songwriter known to incorporate a guitar into their act.
Elvis is one of the most important artists in history, but he always struck me as a lousy guitar player. He mostly just held and shook the guitar, periodically strumming here and there. Basically, what every modern country singer does now.
Which brings me to my next nomination: Blake Shelton. I didn't know he even played the guitar until I saw him on "Saturday Night live". I saw him strumming, but did not hear a single note that he played. Most of the other country singers arent much better. Luke Bryan often strums chords now and then, while letting the guitar just kind of hang off him. Garth Brooks and Randy Travis were also little more than basic strummers.

I also nominate the guys in WHAM! Andrew Ridgeley was often seen with a guitar but half the time it isnt audible, so his skills are called into question. And George Michael was often seen with a guitar during his "Faith" years, but its telling that I havent seen him with one since.

Undoubtedly, some of my own favorites will probably end up mentioned in the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 08:16 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
I saw Carrie Underwood this summer. She strummed a guitar. Very basic strumming.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,614,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
I once asked who the BEST guitar player was, and several people responded that they felt Taylor Swift was.
I think I have to go lie down now.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
I really don't count singers who stand there and strum as the worst. What's unforgivable for me is mediocrity in the guitar playing of lead guitarists. One that comes to mind from classic rock is Mick Jones of Foreigner. Although he has written plenty of memorable power hook intros, his guitar playing is a snooze, with lousy unoriginal leads, just basic chords. And despite the fact that he's been playing in the band for 40 years, his technique hasn't improved a bit.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
When Jet played on SNL, their guitarist $h!+ the bed when it came time for his solo. Very embarrassing.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
Elvis is one of the most important artists in history, but he always struck me as a lousy guitar player. He mostly just held and shook the guitar, periodically strumming here and there. Basically, what every modern country singer does now.
Elvis was a good rhythm guitarist.
He played rhythm on all his early records. Listen to his comeback special.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:02 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,614,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
When Jet played on SNL, their guitarist $h!+ the bed when it came time for his solo. Very embarrassing.
A lot of these modern rock and nu-metal groups have "lead" guitarists who are below average, and that's the reason you don't hear them play solos often. That goes for Jet, Godsmack, Korn, Wolfmother, Jimmy Eat World, and so on. Hell, Jenny Lewis' guitarist is better than any of those guys.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:04 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
A lot of these modern rock and nu-metal groups have "lead" guitarists who are below average, and that's the reason you don't hear them play solos often. That goes for Jet, Godsmack, Korn, Wolfmother, Jimmy Eat World, and so on. Hell, Jenny Lewis' guitarist is better than any of those guys.
Godsmacks guitarist? cmon.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:11 AM

919 posts, read 789,341 times
A lot of country guys basically fake playing the guitar. Definitely not a fan, the worst in my opinion was that guy from Brooks and Dunne who would run all over the stage, slide down on one knee etc, while fake playing.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I really don't count singers who stand there and strum as the worst. What's unforgivable for me is mediocrity in the guitar playing of lead guitarists. One that comes to mind from classic rock is Mick Jones of Foreigner. Although he has written plenty of memorable power hook intros, his guitar playing is a snooze, with lousy unoriginal leads, just basic chords. And despite the fact that he's been playing in the band for 40 years, his technique hasn't improved a bit.
Would Jones be a bad keyboardist? He plays keyboards on "Waiting for a Girl Like You" and "I Want to Know What Love Is."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music