Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,237,257 times

Advertisements

I'm 21, but my first CD (even those are considered "old" to some of the younger kids nowadays, while I can still remember the days of tapes!) was a Greatest Hits album from Earth, Wind, and Fire. Back in 2004/2005, when I was a 9/10 year old little boy living in West Philly, I begged my aunt to buy it for me. She lived in Tacoma, WA due to being in the Army, and I asked her to buy it for me over the phone (I used to chat with her daily and considered her my best friend as a kid). I guess I must have still been cute at that point in time, because it worked! I was a happy little kid listening to my EWF CD when I wasn't playing in the neighborhood! Today, I consider the 70s to be my favorite decade for music. Billy Joel, Elton John (and Bernie Taupin), Blondie, The Isley Brothers, Gordon Lightfoot, and many others are among my favorites.

Since I consider myself to be a hipster, I will buy a record player once I graduate college next year and get a place of my own. My very first vinyl will be my favorite album of all time, Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Coincidentally, it was released about 2 months after I was born in 1995!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,179,263 times
The first album I remember having was a Christmas album called "Snoopy's Christmas". It had the Red Baron as Santa on the cover. I played it on the no name record player we kids had.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,766,574 times
Don't remember the first music I ever heard, but it would be on a cheap record player and the 8-Track stereo we had in the late 70s. For some reason, the earliest memories of songs I can think of are the Rhinestone Cowboy, The Most Beautiful Girl, The soundtrack to the movie Grease, The Bee Gees and other disco songs of the late 70s, The Logical Song, and Baker Street. The family cars always had just an AM radio, which was always tuned to an oldies station, which to a kid is yucky!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:18 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,179,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The first 45 I ever bought was My Sweet Lord/Isn't It A Pity by George Harrison, the first 8-track I ever bought was Relayer by Yes.

I do remember cutting a Bobby Sherman record off the back of a honeycomb cereal box that ruined my needle.
I remember cutting records of Halloween sounds off the backs of Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Frankenberry cereals.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'm 21, but my first CD (even those are considered "old" to some of the younger kids nowadays, while I can still remember the days of tapes!) was a Greatest Hits album from Earth, Wind, and Fire. Back in 2004/2005, when I was a 9/10 year old little boy living in West Philly, I begged my aunt to buy it for me. She lived in Tacoma, WA due to being in the Army, and I asked her to buy it for me over the phone (I used to chat with her daily and considered her my best friend as a kid). I guess I must have still been cute at that point in time, because it worked!
lol That's funny, PhilliesPhan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I was a happy little kid listening to my EWF CD when I wasn't playing in the neighborhood! Today, I consider the 70s to be my favorite decade for music. Billy Joel, Elton John (and Bernie Taupin), Blondie, The Isley Brothers, Gordon Lightfoot, and many others are among my favorites.

Since I consider myself to be a hipster, I will buy a record player once I graduate college next year and get a place of my own. My very first vinyl will be my favorite album of all time, Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Coincidentally, it was released about 2 months after I was born in 1995!
Wow. You have very good and very eclectic taste in music, PhilliesPhan. Thank you for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music