Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:58 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Does it excite you about being able to see dead performers in concert with holograms? Saw this article about a Roy Orbison concert with "Roy" appearing as a hologram. I must say, I find this to be an exciting technological development. There are a lot of performers who have died and that I regret not seeing perform...and actually, Roy Orbison would be one of them. With regard to excitement, I think people who missed seeing them perform would outnumber those who saw them perform and want to see them again. How about you?

Quote:
"Thirty years after his death, Orbison (at least the digital version of him) is going on a national tour, the latest and possibly the most ambitious example to date of how holographic technology is transforming the music industry. The hologram’s 65-minute show, which features 16 songs and orchestral accompaniment, is among the first full-length concerts to feature a holographic dead singer."

Roy Orbison hologram concert in L.A. invites awe and debate - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 07:05 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
too creepy...

Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,355,774 times
I'd rather see a live band. Seeing a hologram perform doesn't mean you're supporting that artist. Someone else is making money out of it.

Who owns the image rights to a hologram? Could anyone have a Roy Orbison hologram tour?

Old 10-09-2018, 02:43 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,327,477 times
Eventually all of us wind up six feet under and that's OK. Don't hang on to something that is really never gonna be the person that we grew to love anyway. Let them go.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:46 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Better yet, have a "Beatles" reunion with Paul and Ringo syncing to John and George!

That said, bands with a mix of living like the Beatles and dead would be the most viable to do so since at least you're seeing a living performer. I'm pretty sure though they won't approve, though we did have that "mini-reunion" in 1995. But do so where the hologram is "aged" appropriately if the surviving members don't have the makeup to look young enough.

Still, you couldn't miss that brief moment when "Elvis was alive" on American Idol, or Michael Jackson at the Billboard Music Awards.

That said, it's a strict apparition and shouldn't be taken too heavily, and I'd only schedule these tours seasonally in the run-up to Halloween. At least it should help breathe a new appreciation for these artists to a younger generation if executed properly.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:04 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Better yet, have a "Beatles" reunion with Paul and Ringo syncing to John and George!

Still, you couldn't miss that brief moment when "Elvis was alive" on American Idol, or Michael Jackson at the Billboard Music Awards.
Michael Jackson at that Motown Anniversary show performing Billie Jean was great but that's probably on video and available now for anyone who wants to see it.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:48 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
(Some) people fine this 'weird' only because it's a relatively new application of recorded playback, one that they're not yet used to. We've had audio playback and two-dimensional visual playback for a long-time. This just takes the viewing experience to three dimensions.

Would I go? Probably not. But this is not some brave-new-world terror.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:58 PM

875 posts, read 635,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Eventually all of us wind up six feet under and that's OK. Don't hang on to something that is really never gonna be the person that we grew to love anyway. Let them go.
To me, if they mean enough to you, you should try to keep them around as much as possible.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. This is what I try to do with my late beautiful precious Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys...I wonder if photographs of him have ever been shown during the ORB shows that have been done ever since his going forward. To me, they could be shown whenever songs that Steve did the leading for are done during the shows.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:55 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
I'm again' it.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
If the band performing was during their peak when they were young and energetic, I would. I saw Janis Joplin in 1968, Led Zeppelin in 1969, and Rolling Stones in 1965. I missed Pink Floyd, Uriah Heep and Deep Purple. I did see Deep Purple about 10 years ago with Ian Gillam but I don’t think it was their best concert. Btw, I did see Roy Orbison back in 1965, I think. Great show at a small theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music