Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 PM

919 posts, read 789,856 times

Advertisements

Its a great song but my God there were so many great songs in those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B7HTqoxks_4

Like THIS one

Old 01-17-2019, 07:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
I'm too young, but my mom did. She was into the British Invasion. She gave me the Kinks, Stones, and Beatles records (45s and LPs) she bought as a teenager and I still play them.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
There are a few rock songs that just destroyed everything around them and this seems like one to me.

I can't imagine being a teenager and hearing this back then. I think I'd have lost my mind. Loved this song since I was a little kid and heard it on oldies radio in the 80's.

Seems to me there's just nothing else in the same ballpark as that song at that time.
Quote:
But for you guys, was that song 'different' from everything else you'd ever heard?

I've always put that song in a category all it's own.

Or was it just considered a really good rock tune?
Those phrases are key. It's just a song you really like. So do a lot of other people, but there's nothing inherently special about it, just like there's nothing inherently special about Bohemian Rhapsody or A Day in The Life or any number of other widely-beloved songs.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:04 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Those phrases are key. It's just a song you really like. So do a lot of other people, but there's nothing inherently special about it, just like there's nothing inherently special about Bohemian Rhapsody or A Day in The Life or any number of other widely-beloved songs.
As far as Bohemian Rhapsody and A Day in the Life are concerned, they are inherently special by the literal definition of both of those words.

spe·cial
/ˈspeSHəl/Submit
adjective
better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual. - - CHECK!

in·her·ent
/inˈhirənt,inˈherənt/Submit
adjective
existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute. - - CHECK! (The "permanent characteristic attribute" that exists in them is that they were objectively different than, and therefore special in comparison to what was usual at that time.)

Whether someone likes these songs or thinks they're "better" than other songs is a matter of personal opinion, but their inherent specialness is a matter of demonstrable fact.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM

919 posts, read 789,856 times
you want to hear a great Kinks song?

-----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7inGyVKNCNY

Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
I have very vivid memories of rocking out to this in my crib!

(Just kidding.)

Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
I think that the Kinks were/are the most underrated band of the 60s. The lyrics are still as pertinent now as they were then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4WsmSgBRUe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0WPC-N3UYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLh...=RDCsLhNxzwK1Y

Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
There are a few rock songs that just destroyed everything around them and this seems like one to me.

I can't imagine being a teenager and hearing this back then. I think I'd have lost my mind. Loved this song since I was a little kid and heard it on oldies radio in the 80's.

Seems to me there's just nothing else in the same ballpark as that song at that time.
When I was 13/14, my boyfriend told me he was bringing over this album to play, and that he wanted me to listen to this one song. I remember thinking, Okay, whatever. He came over, put it on the "Hi-fi" (yes, that's right), and let it play.

It turned out to be Van Halen's version of You Really Got Me. From the instant it started, I was enthralled, hooked. He introduced me to Van Halen (and The Kinks!), and I've loved them ever since.

I've never understood why The Kinks never got more credit. Whenever I think of one of their songs, they (the songs) affect me as so unique, so talented (not the right word - talent-filled?), and they always rank up as one of my favorites. Never understood why The Kinks didn't get SO much more credit (attention, limelight), than they did.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:20 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
I always thought this would be the perfect tune to propose to....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4DV-5d6a5g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music