Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times

Advertisements

What was it. Mine was Van Halen during their Diver Down tour. They were obviously drunk and stoned. they really sucked. What a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
I think we may have done this before but here goes again:

Neil Young 1982 or so in MSG.

Before the show he was interviewed by WNEW and Scott Muni asked Neil why he never plays any fan favorites at his shows. His answer was to hell with what the fans want. I play my new material because I want people to listen to it.

If I didnt already purchase the tickets I would not have gone. True to his word he played nothing but his new album release and not one hit which is what the fans come to see right?

He can pee off.

The other bad one was Jethro Tull but the fact that it was bad was not Ians fault.....well maybe it was. Livingston Taylor, James Taylors brother came out to open. He is sitting on a stool playing stupid Beatles songs. No one going to a rock concert wants to hear that crap. So the fans got restless and started throwing every thing they had at him including glass bottles. Yes there was a time when glass bottles was the norm at a concert. Well ol Livingston got hit in the head with a glass bottle and ran for his life off stage.

Ian Anderson came out and was peed off. He told us that Livingston Taylor was his good friend and we hurt his feelings. He said we would not be happy. Well Tull finally came out and played just 25 minutes with no oncor and was done. I think it came out to 3 songs if I remember right. That was about 1980. I never seen Tull since. My brother never misses him. He was not as offended as I was.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 PM

869 posts, read 2,955,766 times
Richard Marx and Wilson Phillips....

the girlfriend wanted to go...and even though I knew it would stink, I thought that the sex would make up for it...

it didn't...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
Foreigner had no stage presence whatsoever. It was so disappointing! They were just four guys on stage playing instruments and singing. One big yawn.

Another one - Dwight Yoakam. (Yes, I have varied tastes!) He just stood there playing the guitar and singing. No effort expended at all.

I really want to get a giant bullhorn and yell: "I SPENT $____ FOR THIS???" during a break between songs the next time this happens.

Last edited by SandyCo; 07-28-2008 at 11:08 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM

205 posts, read 587,894 times
Ace... ("how long...has this been going on") One of Paul Carrack's bands from the mid 70s. they were opening for Yes, came on late, had technical problems during the set, and only played about five songs.

We just said screw it, we came to see Yes, anyway. And they were great, so I guess it added up okay

Last edited by erickp; 07-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
A vendor at the newspaper I was working at gave me tickets to see Michael Bolton. We went anyway, sat on the lawn and got trashed. And wouldn't you know I ran into people I knew there ... I was mortified! LOL

Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
New Order in 1983. Like watching a cluster of depressed zombies imitate a techno band.

I saw REM at the Felt Forum back in 1986. Great show until a girl got pushed too hard by the general admission audience and broke a rib. Michael Stipe helped pull her out to safety. They then sneered at the audience and left. Now, I sympathise completely with the girl and with their anger. However, two years earlier at Princeton, it was me who got pushed and thrown up onto the stage into Michael Stipe's shins. I was unscathed. I would think two years would be sufficient for REM to ascend the learning curve with regards to human nature, crowd dynamics and general admission seating.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:25 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
New Order in 1983. Like watching a cluster of depressed zombies imitate a techno band.

I saw REM at the Felt Forum back in 1986. Great show until a girl got pushed too hard by the general admission audience and broke a rib. Michael Stipe helped pull her out to safety. They then sneered at the audience and left. Now, I sympathise completely with the girl and with their anger. However, two years earlier at Princeton, it was me who got pushed and thrown up onto the stage into Michael Stipe's shins. I was unscathed. I would think two years would be sufficient for REM to ascend the learning curve with regards to human nature, crowd dynamics and general admission seating.

REM has toured numerous times since and Im certain they have shied away from General Admission seating. Im not aware of any being held in recent times.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:32 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,361 times
Bob Dylan and Tom Petty. Up in the nosebleeds where they left the lights on the whole concert, and the sound was the worst.

Plus Dylan, my fave, was so drunk it was really difficult to listen to.

Another was Leonard Cohen, whom I like, but he stood still with his eyes closed, in his suit clutching a rosesary or something, throughout the whole concert .. got so the rest of our eyes were closing also.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:17 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,167 times
Cant really think of a bad concert but i hate it when theres 4 opening bands..
You have to wait through to get to the Good Stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music