Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,123 posts, read 30,439,364 times

Advertisements

I generally DON'T like country so am pleasantly surprised when there is a country singer I like.

Two I am always happy to listen to are:

1. Shania Twain - great songs, she could singthe phonebook and sound good.

2. Clint Black - i saw him in concert about a year ago. Bought some cd's before hand and was surprised by how many songs I recognized. He did a very good concert, very witty. Ended on Desparado which I recorded on to my cell, though technically that's not allowed.

Who do you like, especially if you don't consider yourself a country fan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 06:27 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,636,557 times
I LOVE Martina McBride. Her voice, especially live, is phenomenal! For more traditional country/bluegrass I like Patty Loveless.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,258,386 times
I like Rascal flatts, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, and Toby Keith. For traditional modern-day country without the crossover, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM

18,236 posts, read 25,894,159 times
I was a Buck Owens fan when I was young so Dwight Yoakum definitely works for me regarding Country artists of the last 2 decades. Dwight was responsible for getting Buck out of semi-retirement and into cranking out product in the late 80's. Like the artists that Cane mentioned. My favorite Tim McGraw song is Telluride (I live 2 hours away from there. I like George Strait as well. There are some songs that get played to death but are still solid songs. George's "Amarillo By Morning" is one of them. I'll talk about the ladies later.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,206,014 times
Willie Nelson in my early 'rebel' days now I love Alan Jackson could listen to him sing tax codes and understand them! Female I would have to say Faith Hill and Reba.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,314,842 times
The ones that cross over are usually pop oriented any way. Acts like Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Emerson Drive, Shania Twain aren't all the way country by any stretch of the imagination. Faith Hill also seems to be totally pop these days (never been a fan of hers). I Consider them cross-overs when you hear their music on pop radio stations or they enter the main Billboard chart.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:24 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,123 posts, read 30,439,364 times
I don't think of him as a crossover, so I have to make an exception for Randy Travis. He's good, and to me he has a folksy appeal to the songs he sings, not exactly like John Denver, but that is the closest I can think of to compare him. But not as clearly country as say, George Strait.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,051,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I don't think of him as a crossover, so I have to make an exception for Randy Travis. He's good, and to me he has a folksy appeal to the songs he sings, not exactly like John Denver, but that is the closest I can think of to compare him. But not as clearly country as say, George Strait.
I *love* Randy Travis' voice. And yes, he does have crossover appeal, even if he does not actually cross.
I've enjoyed Dwight Yoakum's acting as well as his collaborations with Warren Zevon: Heartache Spoken Here, and Dirty Life and Times.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,314,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Love Randy Travis. I played his first few CD's to death in the early 90's when I first got into his music. I'd say Randy Travis is very country, quite traditional too.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,029,953 times
I have yet to meet anyone who is familiar with Brad Paisley and doesn't like his music. I love how his sense of humor shows through in the songs.

I also think Dierks Bentley would have a lot of crossover appeal. He has a pretty strong rock influence in his music while still being very country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music