Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times

Advertisements

A rhetorical question, I know, but I just need to vent. Over and over again, people who brag on how "open minded" they are, always say the same thing to me when I say I like heavy metal..."ohh, so you like someone screaming about killing people?"

Over and over again! People who claim to know about music insist that metal is just a bunch of guys screaming in a cookie-monster voice and nothing else...and what kills me is that the people who make these ignorant comments always claim to "know about music" becuase they're either classic or indie rock fans, or both. I like classic rock and indie too, so I'm not attacking those genres, for the record. But why Ohh why do people who can't even tell me what the term "power metal" means snicker and say "why do you like loud, devil worship music?"

Why do they ask?...because they don't want to give it a chance, and think that, just because good metal doesn't get played on the radio in the US and the only thing they hear is that Slipknot crap, that all metal is like that...and mentioning to them that, like any music genre in America, only the worst makes it to the radio and you should not judge an entire genre based on the crap that plays on the radio and a few fourteen year olds listen to, does not effect them in any way. Like Green Eggs and Ham, some people will hate metal, without ever listening to it... their loss.

Ever hear of Nightwish? one of the biggest metal bands on earth that it seems like NO ONE in America has heard of?

I don't hear too much screaming about killing people in their music:

YouTube - Ghost Love Score-Nightwish

YouTube - Nightwish

YouTube - Nightwish - 16 Creek Mary's Blood (End of An Era) Live

Moderator cut: No more than three videos in a post

But, every time I mention one of these bands, all of these people around me who INSIST they know about music all declare "it's just a bunch of noise! guys screaming about killing babies for satan and no melody" blah blah blah...

Anyway, if they are so close minded to judge a genre of music without listening to it, than it's their loss...and these are the same people who think I'm "closed minded" because I don't like Kanye west, even after I actually listened to one of his albums

Not liking a band after listening to an album? Fine...judging a band based on what you have heard of another band in a genre that is some what similiar (like Slipknot being neumetal crap and Nightwish being symphonic power metal) is idiotic.

But still...being pigon-holed as that "guy who likes death metal" for liking songs like "Creek Mary's Blood" by Nightwish is getting really old...

Last edited by Thursday007; 07-21-2010 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,161 times
Could be because your listed bands, other than Kamelot, are all from mainland Europe, a bastion of the genre. Over the years any band from Europe, other than British, have found it difficult to get exposure in the US. I wouldn`t be too hard on the people who haven`t heard of them, it`s hardly their fault. Your wrath would maybe better directed at the powers that be in the industry..Although they can find a use for it when they want to..Hasn`t some Nightwish stuff been used in film soundtracks?

Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
I think all those melodic power metal singers is just screaming and yelling.
I prefer real heavy metal.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
A rhetorical question, I know, but I just need to vent. Over and over again, people who brag on how "open minded" they are, always say the same thing to me when I say I like heavy metal..."ohh, so you like someone screaming about killing people?"

Over and over again! People who claim to know about music insist that metal is just a bunch of guys screaming in a cookie-monster voice and nothing else...and what kills me is that the people who make these ignorant comments always claim to "know about music" becuase they're either classic or indie rock fans, or both. I like classic rock and indie too, so I'm not attacking those genres, for the record. But why Ohh why do people who can't even tell me what the term "power metal" means snicker and say "why do you like loud, devil worship music?"

Why do they ask?...because they don't want to give it a chance, and think that, just because good metal doesn't get played on the radio in the US and the only thing they hear is that Slipknot crap, that all metal is like that...and mentioning to them that, like any music genre in America, only the worst makes it to the radio and you should not judge an entire genre based on the crap that plays on the radio and a few fourteen year olds listen to, does not effect them in any way. Like Green Eggs and Ham, some people will hate metal, without ever listening to it... their loss.

Ever hear of Nightwish? one of the biggest metal bands on earth that it seems like NO ONE in America has heard of?

I don't hear too much screaming about killing people in their music:

But, every time I mention one of these bands, all of these people around me who INSIST they know about music all declare "it's just a bunch of noise! guys screaming about killing babies for satan and no melody" blah blah blah...

Anyway, if they are so close minded to judge a genre of music without listening to it, than it's their loss...and these are the same people who think I'm "closed minded" because I don't like Kanye west, even after I actually listened to one of his albums

Not liking a band after listening to an album? Fine...judging a band based on what you have heard of another band in a genre that is some what similiar (like Slipknot being neumetal crap and Nightwish being symphonic power metal) is idiotic.

But still...being pigon-holed as that "guy who likes death metal" for liking songs like "Creek Mary's Blood" by Nightwish is getting really old...
Who Cares .......whether people like Heavy Metal or not or if they think it's all devil worship or not as i've been a Rock/Metal fan since early 70's (5th Grade) when the '''Father of Heavy Metal'' Black Sabbath first started it and could care less what others think of my styles. I'm sure many who like Militant Rap or Honky Tonk Country music could care less either what people think of their Genre's. I myself swing all around to almost every kind of Genre out there and could care less what people think whether i'm listening to Metal Church or Madonna.

That being said........Well i listened to what you posted and half of those aren't what i'd classify as Metal. Some were good and jammed but i also heard different styles as in ''Gothic'' or even in the ''World Music'' Genre. Infact you mentioned people calling these ''Loud, Devil worship music'' music as i chuckled to myself after listening to those songs you posted. Instead try Death Angel, King Diamond and Iron Maiden for starters in the Devil Worship category which by the way i love those groups when i'm in that mood at times.

That being said i actually liked most of those you posted and i learned about some new groups as i always like it when people post groups i've never heard before in the Rock/Metal Genre so thanks for posting them.

6/3

Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
I feel you buddy, I get the same thing told to me when I tell people that my favorite genre is death metal.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Could be because your listed bands, other than Kamelot, are all from mainland Europe, a bastion of the genre. Over the years any band from Europe, other than British, have found it difficult to get exposure in the US.

Good point.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Who Cares .......whether people like Heavy Metal or not or if they think it's all devil worship or not as i've been a Rock/Metal fan since early 70's (5th Grade) when the '''Father of Heavy Metal'' Black Sabbath first started it and could care less what others think of my styles.

It's not that people don't like it. Like I said, I'm okay with people not liking it, as I'm cool with people who have different taste in music. But there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between listening to a band and saying you don't like them, and hearing a band you never heard of until someone just mentioned them and saying "no, I don't want to listen to that, because I know it's just screaming about killing people"...when the band in question is "Nightwish"

Not liking the dish you've tried, fine..."Green eggs and Ham"? grow up people!

Quote:
That being said........Well i listened to what you posted and half of those aren't what i'd classify as Metal. Some were good and jammed but i also heard different styles as in ''Gothic'' or even in the ''World Music'' Genre. Infact you mentioned people calling these ''Loud, Devil worship music'' music as i chuckled to myself after listening to those songs you posted.
Thing that allot of people forget is that metal is a big tent, and there are allot of different sounds in metal. There's "folk metal", "power metal", "symphonic metal", "gothic metal", "power metal", "progessive metal" etc.

People who think they can judge all metal because they've listened to one or two Slipknot songs are like people who think they can judge rock and roll because they've heard one or two Fall Out Boy songs.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,630 times
if metal was mainstream it wouldnt be cool to listen to

Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I feel you buddy, I get the same thing told to me when I tell people that my favorite genre is death metal.

I like some death metal, as long as it's melodic...like Arch Enemy and Opeth.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I think all those melodic power metal singers is just screaming and yelling.
So...Tarja from Nightwish just "yells and screams"?

Quote:
I prefer real heavy metal.

and what, prey tell, does that mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music