Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:40 PM

503 posts, read 710,590 times

Advertisements

i'm curious.as a music lover(rock n roll!) i would love to be in a band when i'm older.want to see what other people did.plz describe your story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,104,843 times
I've been in several bands over the past 20 years and was also a professional session drummer in Los Angeles for RKO and later Arista Records during the 1980's. Some of the artists I've worked with: Paul Westerberg of The Replacements, Kip Winger of...well, Winger (LOL); Shooting Star; NightRanger; Bret Michaels of Poison; Adam Druritz of Counting Crows; FastBall, out of Austin, TX; Eddie Vedder (before he joined Pearl Jam and was fronting with a band called Surf & Destroy down in San Diego); The Outfield; Chrissy Hynde; and Timothy Schmidt of The Eagles.
Nowadays I live in Austin, TX and give drum lessons and also am hooked-up with a couple bands (C&W) that I sit-in with from time to time.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 PM

503 posts, read 710,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I've been in several bands over the past 20 years and was also a professional session drummer in Los Angeles for RKO and later Arista Records during the 1980's. Some of the artists I've worked with: Paul Westerberg of The Replacements, Kip Winger of...well, Winger (LOL); Shooting Star; NightRanger; Bret Michaels of Poison; Adam Druritz of Counting Crows; FastBall, out of Austin, TX; Eddie Vedder (before he joined Pearl Jam and was fronting with a band called Surf & Destroy down in San Diego); The Outfield; Chrissy Hynde; and Timothy Schmidt of The Eagles.
Nowadays I live in Austin, TX and give drum lessons and also am hooked-up with a couple bands (C&W) that I sit-in with from time to time.
that sounds really awesome

Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
Timothy Schmidt of The Eagles.
Oh my goodness. I did see him live once. But to work with him, how cool.

I am totally unmusical and salute everyone out there who is.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 AM

319 posts, read 634,857 times
Yep, cranking it away three chords at a time in basements, garages and high school lunch rooms all over Wisconsin in the mid 90s.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,682,682 times
Quote:

Good for you!!!!!!!! I too have a nice long impressive list of famous musicians I have jambed with or know personally. Hell my very closest high school friend went on to play for a famous band we all know while I chose to go another path. But when I mention names people day I am name dropping. Actually it's answering a question with a little bragging rights and a little pre-qualifying my answer so people listen.

Whatever the case....my hat is off to you!!!!!!

In the end, with my contacts in the music business world, all it ever got me was some free front row seats or back stage passes. I still can't kick about that though.............

Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,355,977 times
I have had my own band since the mid 90s.
We have released a bunch of self produced tapes and cdr's.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 AM

18,229 posts, read 25,887,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Oh my goodness. I did see him live once. But to work with him, how cool.

I am totally unmusical and salute everyone out there who is.
Plus one! Good stuff DrummerBoy and DesertSun41!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,016,475 times
Yes. I have been in bands in high school, college and after college. I have pretty much always been the lone "chick' in these bands too...
I have spent more time in the past 10 years or so in the recording studios of the Bay Area doing all kinds of different paying gigs.
I have an illustrious list of names, just like DrummerBoy...except you've probably never heard of them....and some are just flat out commercial work, which pays well, but is not impressive in the least.
It's kinda like being a trained monkey "sing this, sing that..."
I met my bass playing music internet company owning husband at a recording studio in SF, we had overlapping studio projects...
He's been more of the impressive musician in the household since he has had music all over TV shows and what not....
Now with two little kids, it is easier to do the studio work, which I enjoy but I gig out once in a while, when needed.
There is something totally wrong though about ordering a pint at the Whisky A Go Go on Sunset Blvd. in LA while holding a toddler on your hip though, (Daddy was playing a show that night)
The kids dig the live music stuff of course, but it is a weird lifestyle for them, so we keep it mostly contained to studio work and music internet stuff nowadays. But we both miss playing live a lot.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:16 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,279,301 times
Your experience will vary based on:

- type of music scene
- you - skills, attitude and looks

You are 15, you should be in a band NOW.

I did and my s.o. did.

I started playing music when I was 5 and kept adding instruments. I have done session work/recording and been in punk or rock bands. I also did booking and mngmt.

The s.o. starting playing when he was 14 and worked with a famous punk band that did a euro tour and then went his own way to do his music. He toured the NE/Canada with his own stuff. He just likes to play at this point and has zero interest in being a "rock star".

Short and sweet of it is that you are going to have to practice a lot and be able to deal with a-holes and flakes. The way music is now totally changes what it was in the past. Now you can start you own label and release the stuff for rather cheap compared to the cost of old analog, record pressing and cd making.

Step by step:
- Practice everyday at least 2 hours. ( I practiced 4 or more usually)
- start writing
- start band
- compile song list
- record and release
- book shows
- promote online, on foot

On the release of your recording there is a lot of techi stuff that I am not going to go into here. You have the passion you can figure that one out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music