Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
That's true what you say about the Carolinas & Miami for the most part, but with Atlanta I think it depends on who you ask. Little Jon has strong West Coast ties, particularly with Oakland. His first big single, "Bia Bia" had Too Short on it and he's linked up with E-40 for several business ventures as I understand it. I know he's been out here a lot, anyway.

But the strongest ties definitely are with Texas & Louisiana. I think Florida is very similar to CA in a lot of ways, but the 2 states don't often identify with each other. Miami definitely has a stronger connection with NY.
Naw. Thats the common misconseption about FLA. From a tourist and transplant standpoint and retiree standpoint, it has more in commmon with NY. But hip-hop wise I see Cali influences. From Rick Ross, to Smitty, to Kalehd. Especiallly on this track with Rick Ross and Daz Dillinger it's called On Some Real. Smitty is probably the best example I can give you, he drove all the way to Cali (from miami) to the set of The Wash (Dr. Dres movie) and got a deal with aftermath. Smitty has a huge westcoast vibe IMHO. Then you got Trick Daddy doing posthomus songs with Pac like Still Ballin. From a hip-hop standpoint I think MIA is waay closely linked to Cali then to NY. Anyone agree disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Naw. Thats the common misconseption about FLA. From a tourist and transplant standpoint and retiree standpoint, it has more in commmon with NY. But hip-hop wise I see Cali influences. From Rick Ross, to Smitty, to Kalehd. Especiallly on this track with Rick Ross and Daz Dillinger it's called On Some Real. Smitty is probably the best example I can give you, he drove all the way to Cali (from miami) to the set of The Wash (Dr. Dres movie) and got a deal with aftermath. Smitty has a huge westcoast vibe IMHO. Then you got Trick Daddy doing posthomus songs with Pac like Still Ballin. From a hip-hop standpoint I think MIA is waay closely linked to Cali then to NY. Anyone agree disagree?
I Agree.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
That's true what you say about the Carolinas & Miami for the most part, but with Atlanta I think it depends on who you ask. Little Jon has strong West Coast ties, particularly with Oakland. His first big single, "Bia Bia" had Too Short on it and he's linked up with E-40 for several business ventures as I understand it. I know he's been out here a lot, anyway.

But the strongest ties definitely are with Texas & Louisiana. I think Florida is very similar to CA in a lot of ways, but the 2 states don't often identify with each other. Miami definitely has a stronger connection with NY.
That's why I said a great connection. Atlanta just didn't have that with the west and that's why many West Coast fans do not really identify with Atlanta hip hop outside the radio. Too Short had connections throughout the south. He had major love in Houston as well as Atlanta. But not many California underground artists did collabo's with Atlanta like they did with Texas. Atlanta on the other hand had New York influence. Outkast did numerous songs with New York artists. There was some, not many, but some collaborations between the two markets. Heck I remember back in the mid 90s, you would have thought we were in California. We heard Celly Cel, Suga T, Richie Rich, E-40 on the radios in Texas all the time. When I went to Florida, many never even heard of the artists let alone the songs from those artists. If you ever go to sicness.net (a westcoast based hip hop site), you will see how much they identify with Texas hip hop than they do with any other Southern state. Heck, even the midwest has a huge thread on the same site on what Southern city they listen to the most and Houston was overwhelmingly the favorite.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

hmmmm somewhat. You did have some artists that did songs with New Yorkers. But not as much as Texans did with Californians. I can see how one could say that Miami had more of a connection with Cali than New York. But not enough to say that Miami was influenced majorly by California like Texas was.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Atlanta on the other hand had New York influence. Outkast did numerous songs with New York artists.
Back in the day (late 80s-90's), I remember the New York influence was big. In Va, where I'm from, you had your mix of mainstream hits from all over like Tupac, 69 boys, Gheto Boys, etc. getting airplay but the majority were New York artists. (Probably because New York had a lot more representation in the mainstream at that time.) Heard a lot of Wu-Tang, Jay-Z, and Biggie. Heard more Reggae artists back then too. But even though New York artists represented by the numbers, it still seem liked there was more balance & variety in the music on the radio then vs. now.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
hmmmm somewhat. You did have some artists that did songs with New Yorkers. But not as much as Texans did with Californians. I can see how one could say that Miami had more of a connection with Cali than New York. But not enough to say that Miami was influenced majorly by California like Texas was.
Yeah Texas is way closely lnked to Cali then most states outside of TX. Especially with Lil Flip and Capone-E album called connected (capone-E being from LA and Lil Flip being from Houston). Houston hip-hop always gave me a westcoast vibe. But I think the SOUTH in general was HEAVILY influenced by wstcoast hip-hop. Because if you think about the first MAJOR artist to come out of the south were Houston artist like the Geto Boys. There musical styles were heavily influenced by CA, and the rest of the SOUTH followed suit. That's probably one reason why NY also has SOME animosity towards the SOUTH. Heck, now that I think of it the 1st hiphop group to come out of the SOUTH a little bit before the Geto Boys was 2LIVE CREW who were based out of Miami and did there music there. The leader of the group Uncle Luke was originally from Miami, BUT the other members were from CALI. So that Miami Bass style that they innovated, and that other Southern artist would use throuout the years, was HEAVILY influenced by CALI. Me being a Floridian grew up listening to more westcoast hip-hop then eastcoast. Then I moved to Texas and was even more westcoast.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
I agree - I'm from FL and I like a lot of cali artists but hate almost all of the ny type of music; I can't get into the beats. I remember me and my cousin arguing because I didn't like jay z cause all he raps about is drugs and ******* but I liked snoop, who was rapping about the same thing lol

Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree - I'm from FL and I like a lot of cali artists but hate almost all of the ny type of music; I can't get into the beats. I remember me and my cousin arguing because I didn't like jay z cause all he raps about is drugs and ******* but I liked snoop, who was rapping about the same thing lol
Exactly. Growing up me and most of my cousins down there listened to Snoop and Pac and Coolio Ice cube just about any westcoast artist way more then any eastcoast. I didnt start hearing more eascoast artist til after 97. I dont know why. Most styles and customs down there from back in the day were influenced by westcoast more then NY.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Exactly. Growing up me and most of my cousins down there listened to Snoop and Pac and Coolio Ice cube just about any westcoast artist way more then any eastcoast. I didnt start hearing more eascoast artist til after 97. I dont know why. Most styles and customs down there from back in the day were influenced by westcoast more then NY.
When I was younger I found northern rappers too wordy - I was used to catchy hooks and simple verses. As I got older I realized there was a lot behind some of simple lyrics - like Thug Holiday one of my fave TDD songs - I guess its just in the delivery. Ny music just seemed uptight - maybe it was the cold weather

Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,682 times
Simple lyrics in a song are alright to me as long as it don't make the person saying them sound 'simple.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music