Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 11:10 PM

529 posts, read 1,335,773 times

Advertisements

G'Nite Ms. Rare and All
lovely harmonies ShadowCaver

lowers lantern's light...

this scene was stated as the following:
Bedridden and delirious, writer Philip Marlow's
fantasy world mingles with events from his
real life.

Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters - Accentuate the Positive
{The Singing Detective}

YouTube - The Singing Detective - Accentuate the Positive

Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,990 times

YouTube - Frank Sinatra & The Hi Lo's - I'll Never Smile Again

Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,105,877 times
Default One World, One Dream

Good night shyangel... and sweet dreams...
good night everyone

Sylver - One World One Dream

YouTube - Sylver - One World One Dream (official video)

rare

Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,076,328 times
Been listening to some Fleetwood Mac with former members that many people don't know of,

Peter Green Fleetwood Mac "Like it This Way"

and I'll finish with this one as it goes with the thread title

Danny Kirwan - Blues With A Feeling

Last edited by 1eyedjack; 07-30-2009 at 12:08 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 AM

2,897 posts, read 20,338,963 times
David Soul - Don't Give Up On Us

YouTube - David Soul - Don't Give Up On Us

Old 07-30-2009, 04:48 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Question The British Only Fleetwood Mac Line Up. Would FM have been as Successful Without Lindsey and Stevie?

[quote=1eyedjack;10015073]Been listening to some Fleetwood Mac with former members that many people don't know of,

Thanks for posting this, 1eyedjack.

You are so right. There were several albums that included Peter Green, Danny Kirwan and then Bob Welch from Fleetwood Mac (FM) prior to Bob Welch quitting the band and leaving the opening that Lindsey Buckingham filled. As I'm sure most know, Lindsey Buckingham said he wouldn't join unless the Mac accepted Stevie Nicks as well. I say good for Lindsey making Stevie his equal in the band. I think it was one of his best decisions to this point.

How different FM's recording career may have been without the addition of the Americans. Both Stevie and Lindsey are prolific song writers and Lindsey is often rated one of the top 5-10 guitarists of all time (no arguments please, there is a thread for battling out who is/was the best guitarist. Please discuss disagreements there). For example, many don't know that when Tusk is discussed and people talk of his genius in recording the Album, he used a guitar that was 1/2 key flat for many songs to give a very different sound.

Stevie and Lindsey changed so much of what the band did, they weren't known primarily as a "blues band," after Nicks/Buckingham arrived. Plus, with their years of singing together in harmony, they created the perfect opportunity for Chris McVie to write more of her own compositions that required 3 voices for the harmony she wanted. Chris McVie also started to write more upbeat, radio-friendly songs where the three strong voices could harmonize in her newer songs.

When one thinks of how many of Stevie's and Lindsey's compositions have become some of the best selling and most popular Songs of the longest lineup of FM, perhaps FM never would have reached the super-star status that they enjoy, if Stevie and Lindsey hadn't enterened the band and got them rocking. I'm sure glad they did.

That isn't to take anything away from Peter Green, Danny Kerwin, Bob Welch, Rick Vito, Billy Burnett and others who have been in the FM line up while Lindsey was finding himsefl away from FM.

Stevie brought several talents most don't know about, besides her voice, song-writing ability etc. She was only 1 quarter or semster away from her Speech Therapy degree in college, when she dropped out due to the demands of Fleetwood Mac. Her interest in speech couldn't have been more personal..........she stuttered as a child. Thus, how Stephanie Lynn Nicks became Stevie Nicks. She couldn't pronounce her own name as a child. Yet, she could sing folk songs etc. with her grandfather perfectly.

As I believe this video shows, Stevie has always had stage fright and still does at each performance. Some say this recording was prior to all the Cocaine and alcohol was used to calm the nerves. I don't know the dates well enough to say more, with the exception I'm very proud of them for kicking the Cocaine habit I wonder how many lives they've saved as people have looked at them and said, "If they can stop using drugs, so can I." We'll never know how many people made changes because of the examples of the bandmates. I do know some stopped drugs at the same time as various FM members got clean, using them as their inspiration.

Stevie had such an active imagination and wrote one of Fleetwood Mac's first big songs that made them stand apart from other bands. In a book she was reading in the airport, while reading about mythology she read about Rhiannon.

Her imagination and lyrics tell the rest of that story.

Thank you for the entertainment and changing the direction of FM, Lindsey and Stevie, to the Rock and Roll band who also plays some blues, a little country and a lot of just plain old Fleetwood Mac. Indeed, this song, "Rhiannon," found a new group of listeners who previously hadn't listened to FM. They were the listeners intrigued by the unusual song, for the day, telling a story about the mythology in the book Stevie was reading.

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac "Rhiannon"

For many years Stevie was misunderstood about that song. Many vicious rumors were spread about Stevie that had no merit. However, I think that has calmed down now as most people don't think she is a witch or someone with special powers, except a gifted poet who can write music for her songs too.

I hope you enjoy this great song that has only gotten better with time, IMHO.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-30-2009 at 05:09 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 AM

2,897 posts, read 20,338,963 times
Pop Musik ( or "Pop Music", if you prefer)

YouTube - Pop Musik ( or "Pop Music", if you prefer )

Old 07-30-2009, 05:28 AM

Question Did It Seem Like Something Was Missing in Earlier Rhiannon Post?

Did something seem missing from that version of Rhiannon? If you noticed, you must have listedned to the song a lot.

At 0.57, an entire verse was cut.

It is:

"Once in a million years a lady like her rises
"Oh, Rhiannon" you cry but she's gone
And your life knows no answer
Your life knows no answer"

I wonder why it was cut as the words, "Your life knows no answer," are important in this song.

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac "Rhiannon"

This will probably be a collector's version some day to have that verse missing. Such attention to the execution, timing and clear diction of those words is so evident in all live and filmed live performances, let alone the studio work on various DVDs and CDs.

Good ears and memory is you noticed something was missing. I'm glad Fleetwood Mac put that verse back in the song, since the time it was missing

Please feel free to post your favorite version of FM playing Rhiannon. This isn't my most favorite, but it was one of the earliest ones I could find. I enjoy seeing the differences between the early and the mature performances now.

MSR

Old 07-30-2009, 06:47 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,547,128 times
Default Talkin really fast to Sweet Apryl since we're packin up!

: checkin on MMC since Sweet Apryl is in meetins...
ok he's breathin....click birds :

YouTube - [森林] 疲れている貴 –¹ã‚’癒して見る

:Slide-zone back to 1973: Hey Sweet Apryl! This is the only time I
got to get to a computer! The Northwest is being baked alive in
heat so escaping is the order of the day!

Let's go Surfin Sweet Apryl!

Maui / Brazil Big Wave Tow-In Surfing

YouTube - JAWS : MAUI

Haaaahahahaha! I hope you felt cooled off right away!
You can also worry about me drownin and stuff if you
pretend I'm surfin since that's a natural reaction!
I won't though just in case you get worried in your imagination!

Hawaii Riders Highlights

YouTube - NSSA 2009 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Now that we have had so much fun surfin, we can go back to
the bar for soda pops! I'm puttin my rose in
the frigerator so it won't get burned up during the day! !

Paul McCartney - singalong in Liverpool pub

YouTube - #4 - Paul McCartney TV Special (1973)

I just know you're gonna feel all inspired and cool down from
any vibes that mess with your peace! Good deeds R' Us!
Haaahahahaha! I wish I could stay longer...I'm tryin to stall
but it's not workin so far...

Beautiful Soul - disabled

YouTube - Beautiful Soul

Sweet Apryl it's been too hot for me to report to you the
awesome thoughts bustin my mind open BUT I can't wait
until your conference is over!

Your soul is the most beautiful and ...ohno! Granny gonna pull the plug!

We're drinking soda in the bar! I'll imagine you there all day and if
life get tough imagine us there havin fun and singin!

Since we're imagining stuff we can also imagine fantasical stuff
too if you want!

Sweet Apryl! Don't forget our good deeds even if people irratate
you! That's just in case you're impatient cause you
can't talk to me at all...

Sweet Apryl..Forever!

Jim!!!! aka RFSilver

Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 AM

Post Randy Vanwarmer - Just When I Needed You Most

Another classic.

Just When I Needed You Most

"Now most every morning, I stare out the window

And I think about where you might be

I've written you letters that I'd like to send

If you would just send one to me."

" 'Cause I need you more than I needed before

And now where I'll find comfort, God knows

'Cause you left me just when I needed you most

Left me just when I needed you most."

YouTube - Just When I Needed You Most By Randy Van Warmer With Lyrics

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music