Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times

Advertisements

I can listen to any music. Country, rap, rock, alt, etc. When I listen on the radio, I hear maybe one good song per hour. I know music is all in the ear of the beholder, but country is no longer country, rap is filled with nothing but rappers who use that voice mod that sounds awful, is rock even still around? When we look back at this decade, who will be the artists that stand out? Miley Cyrus? Britney? The Jonas Brothers? It's becoming harder and harder to find a song or group that is not God-awful. Maybe I am getting too old (32). Who is going to be the defining artist or group of this generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:52 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,737,078 times
Are we currently in the WORST era ever for music?

ANSWER:
Spoiler
YES, for all the reasons you mentioned above.... Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, Jonas People, Lady GaGa, Acorn, and all these others I can't even mention. It's awful. So the answer has to be YES, we ARE currently in the WORST era ever for music!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:54 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
You're not getting to old, I'm 15 years younger than you and I feel the same way. I listen to every type of music (yeah I'm a NYC'er that likes a little Country lol) and good songs are very rare nowadays. I don't even listen to the radio anymore.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,225 times
Now is the worst era ever. The good days (to me) extend from the late 60's maybe to the year 2003 or so. After that people wanna here the most ignorant retards ever "rapping" about how they are the Sh*t and deal the most drugs and people love it. AARRRGH this pisses me off sooooooooo bad

Old 11-08-2009, 02:59 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
Public radio stations including the one that I am on are there for you. WDIY - Lehigh Valley Community Public Radio - Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton PA, USA, www.wxpn.org,www.kxci.org, and KOOP - Radio de la Comunidad - Community Radio - Austin, TX are great stations to check out. The new music played on these stations including Heartless Bastards, Monsters Of Folk, and the Swell Season to name a few totally destroys the myth that there is no good music anymore.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,805,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I can listen to any music. Country, rap, rock, alt, etc. When I listen on the radio, I hear maybe one good song per hour. I know music is all in the ear of the beholder, but country is no longer country, rap is filled with nothing but rappers who use that voice mod that sounds awful, is rock even still around? When we look back at this decade, who will be the artists that stand out? Miley Cyrus? Britney? The Jonas Brothers? It's becoming harder and harder to find a song or group that is not God-awful. Maybe I am getting too old (32). Who is going to be the defining artist or group of this generation?
As in any generation those of taste listen to Bach and Mozart.
Others to the latest garbage.

No one is a greater slave than the child of his time.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,887 times
I have no idea what's currently going on, but after the whole 90's "I'm cool because I'm down on everything and who cares anyway?" rock archetype fostered by Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, etc., rock music has really not been as good as it was in the past. This not only applies to finding a catchy hook and chorus, but also to musicianship in terms of making an entire song work with each instrument complimenting the others (which is more so spiritual than technical).

There are allegedly talented bands that currently exist on the club circuit, but without the right promotion and a theme that promotes nihilism, these bands never escape the club circuit as the record industry has their own agenda. Sociologists such as Kevin MacDonald have further expounded on this point.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:34 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
I can go for a "yes." I think that we have arrived at the point where any mediocre group and song will do fine as long as their video attracts interest. In the same way, I feel that concerts are about spectacle in most cases and not about playing music well.

It's about the wrapping (sorry), not the contents.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
Quote:
Are we currently in the WORST era ever for music?
No way, not at all. Stop listening to the radio, it's been playing garbage for the last 35 years....people say the same thing every decade, I can remember watching MTV in high school thinking "wow, music is worse now than it has ever been" and then years later I discovered bands and songs from that same exact time period that I loved but had never heard of when they existed.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
that why I still listen 80's power metal and rock
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Dio
Accept
van halen
bon jovi
OZZY
I can tell ya one thing though late at night when my girlfriend is out no one is around I sometimes jam laday gaga's poker face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music