Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There are "pops " concerts were a conductor will conduct these tunes. Most seasoned players want to be challenged to higher degree than what popular music is intended to do. If you want the best players (over 100 musicians) and want them to show up to rehearsals, they have to think they are going to get better just by playing this music.

Just writing good music doesn't make some one a great musician. There had to be hundreds of good musicians in Mozart's day. Conservatories are pumping them out by the hundreds as we write. Some composers can't read or write music. A musician has to do some thing with music, that transcends music it self to be great. When Beethoven wrote twenty or more minutes of music with "dada-dada" people flipped out. How do you write a symphony with out a melody?
Well if that's what you mean I think there has been some popular music that is complex and grand. The Moody Blues and Queen tried for that on occasion. I think some film composers have done some great stuff. Bernard Herrman, Hitchcock's composer, did some good to great stuff.

Possibly non-Western classical music is still doing some too. I think Indian (as in India) classical music is quite complex. The Chinese might be producing something of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
One has to realize that virtually anyone who is a "trained" musician (able to write notes on a staff, knows meter, range, instrument capability, etc) can compose. In this day of atonality "anything goes". I have no talent at all for creating but I could write a 20 minute four-voice fugue by just putting notes down on a music paper staff. What comes out, however, I could not guarantee. There are thousands of musicians out there composing, as opposed to hundred of thousands painting and millions writing books. Because music requires an advanced degree of training, much more so than being an author, the field is obviously limited. What those thousands are writing, however, will die with them in 99% of the cases. 1% might rise to the surface.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Speaking to the OP--what are the requirements for it to be "classical" music and not "pop music"? If the piece includes a full orchestra, or is written for one, is it then classical? Mike Post seemed to be the top TV theme composer at one point about twenty years ago.
Well, "classical" music could actually be said to be a more specific term than it is in general usage. That is, it refers to a period from about 1750 - 1820. Prior to that was the Baroque period, and afterwards came the Romantic era. So Mozart came at the beginning of the classical era, with a strong influence from his baroque predecessors. Beethoven is considered to be a classical composer, on the eve of the romantic era. He is often considered to be the first romantic composer. Strauss, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Wagner, Brahms, Tchaikovski, Dvorak, et al, would not be considered as classical composers, but instead romantics. Starting about 1890 or so, we begin the "modern" era. We really need a new name for it.

We also need to consider the difference between "classical" (in the common usage) and "folk" music. Our modern pop artists, I submit, are folk artists. There are some who have been able to cross genres, such as Gershwin, Ellington, M. Davis, and you might include Aaron Copeland with this group.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 AM

I think the era of enduring "classical" music essentially died with Bernstein, Copland, and Stravinsky. Modern music, unfortunately, has descended into the absurd with travesties like Cage's "4:33" and one composer setting fire to an upright piano (along with a hired fire crew, of course) and asserting that the snapping and crackling of strings and wood was a form of music.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
I love Classical music, I listen to it daily with my daughter and often wonder about this same question.

I would have to agree that it is Technology, but that doesn't mean we don't have the same "Genius" quality of composing. Check out "Richard D James AKA Aphex Twin", this is the genius of music right now, he is the father of Intelligent Electronic Music described as "the most inventive and influential figure in contemporary electronic music".

Aphex Twin in General - Review - The Mozart of modern times

Richard D. James: Musical Genius or No-talent Laptop Hack? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

It is much more complex and yields much more power than Bach or Mozart imo, as a single musician can access 100's of computers and analog synthesizers to create sounds never heard of before.

No it is not slow tempo music at all, it is sometimes 180 BPM....but it is genius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZGIrNf71Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lj4aXy-RKc

Another artist is Squarepusher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJzReGLETs

I think complex music has evolved into something even greater.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-08-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 11:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TiDNrsTv7c

You mean, this isn't music?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Fascinating stuff. I'd love to see Mozart's expression when he saw that six-armed monkey.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
There are no more frontiers in music to explore. From Gregorian chant to the romantic period rules of practice were established and accepted ways to break those rules as a performer or composer.Since the 20th century most music categorized as "New Music" challenges the very definition of what is an ensemble as well as a composition or performance. There is a composition I believe that will take 900 years to perform from start to finish, yes 900.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
[youtube]You mean, this isn't music?
I'll see your Yoko and raise you Deerhoof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gw2sDjLCSs

Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Any Vangelis fans? I've been one ever since I wore out my father's Cosmos LP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music