Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM

319 posts, read 634,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
I actually saw an old-style turntable recently at, of all places, Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Didn't buy it, but am certainly not ruling it out later on. Really spiffy. I've got some old records that are still in reasonable condition but need some dusting off.
Make sure it doesn't have a ceramic cartridge (which a lot of the newer cheap models have). I've heard reports of those ripping up your records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
I actually saw an old-style turntable recently at, of all places, Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Didn't buy it, but am certainly not ruling it out later on. Really spiffy. I've got some old records that are still in reasonable condition but need some dusting off.
I've seen that one, I think. They have one that allows you to convert your records to mp3's. It's old-timey looking.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Any independent record store should carry them.
Good point. If they hadn't when compact discs entered the market, the ones who are still around are now, or should be now. And also sell cartridges, lp cleaning cloths, etc. Anymore with the internet to compete with, stores have to reinvent themselves. I frequented many a store going back to 1970 or so, but few stores who had album and tape inventory ever messed with them, at least in my area they didn't. Several of the ones I frequent do now.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
I wonder if one reason for vinyl's resurgence is because we've now had many years to kinda sort out the technology. People now have an better idea as far as what they like cd's for and vinyl for. I hear that many Dj's still prefer vinyl when it comes to mixing over cd's.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:00 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
Make sure it doesn't have a ceramic cartridge (which a lot of the newer cheap models have). I've heard reports of those ripping up your records.
Yes -- I wouldn't really bother with vinyl if you're gonna play it on an $80 machine. CDs will serve much better.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I wonder if one reason for vinyl's resurgence is because we've now had many years to kinda sort out the technology. People now have an better idea as far as what they like cd's for and vinyl for. I hear that many Dj's still prefer vinyl when it comes to mixing over cd's.
It is one reason for sure. I've been collecting for a long time. There wasn't a time at all that I considered selling my collection. But I collect for other reasons. I'm a hobbiest and it's a kick! One of the great advantages to the internet is to see what is out there on a worldwide basis. Now that might not interest a lot of people here, but trust me, there a lot of people who prefer import vinyl and don't mind paying extra for it.

And one of the reasons for that is quality. If someone dropped a sack of 100's on my doorstep and told me it HAS to be spent on vinyl, I'd go after Japanese, German, and UK vinyl releases immediately. It basically comes down to quality.

But it also comes down to what was available overseas and NOT available here in the States, and there is a lot more out there than you think. Some nice live recordings came out of Japan that for some strange reason was not released here. Some of those artists would include Blood Sweat and Tears, Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66, Cat Stevens, Beck Bogert and Appice. There are quite a few others, and that's just Japanese releases.

There are a sizable amount of British Invasion recordings that were not pressed here as well. And German releases-especially in the progressive rock field, there are lots of stuff to discover there too.

But I buy lots cd's as well. The advantage there is getting the obscure and unreleased material "out of the closet", so to speak. I've been critical of Columbia records for some time, but one thing they did that I appreciated was their "Have A Nice Day" series that was released in the early 90's. That goup of recordings were very successful as there were a lot of "B" side singles and unreleased material (outtakes, etc.) that had been sitting in the can that few people were aware of.

Yep, lots of reasons to collect!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-13-2010 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: spelling, addition

Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Im young (25) and buy exclusively vinyl. I guess people could say Im just hopping on the hipster bandwagon, but I think vinyl makes far more sense as a physical investment in todays age (for those who care about such things). CDs are were and always will be an inferior product: nowhere near the lifespan they were touted as having, prone to skipping/scratching, and not to mention they have essentially been replaced by the far more convenient Mp3 for portable purposes. Vinyl is the best of all worlds: audiophile grade sound, large elabroate artwork, lots of limited runs (meaning it should retain its value), and the ability to support local independent record stores. Theres no better way to spend a weekend afternoon IMO then digging through some crates for an hour. Not to mention, many new records today include a free Mp3 download. The way I see it, buying vinyl at a big box store completely runs counter to the reason vinyl has seen a resurgance in the first place. Support your mom and pops! Some of my favs:

Dusty Groove America - Home Page - Jazz, Soul, Funk, Hip Hop, Brazil, Latin, and more on LP and CD
Possible THE single best store in the US for soul, funk, jazz, hip hop, and "world". Most of their sales actually come through mail order, but if you're ever in Chicago and dig that kind of music, this is the place to go. You can walk in blindfolded, pick out 5 records at random, and leave completely happy. Bring the checkbook, though

Reckless Records - index.php
The big indie rock chain here, with 3 stores. Very "High Fidelity" in feel (the movie was based off the store).

PERMANENT RECORDS CHICAGO | Updates/News
My personal fav. Awesome owners, and possibly the coolest store cat ever. Similar selection to Reckless, but more refined meaning less crap to sort through. Nice emphasis on local artists, and psych.

Jazz Record Mart Web Store
Still the holy grail for jazz and blues.

Welcome to The Old School Records Portal
Huge selection of used classic rock and jazz. Run by good people.

There are lots more, but those are the ones I frequent most.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
There are lots of sources for new turntables. Stores like TARGET or electronic stores can order them for you if they are not in stock. Many "stand alone" turnables are now digital and include computer jacks already.

You can always find componant turntables at music or guitar stores, but they may be more high end than you need. However, these stores often have periodic blowout sales where you can pick one up at a good price.

Needles, carts and parts for new and older tables are a little trickier. RADIO SHACK used to be a good source, but their selection has dwindled a lot. Online, or from the manufacturer is your best bet.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Herbrocks is right. I've seen them at Target as well. I think Radio Shack is going to come around on getting back into the cartridges, cleaning cloths, etc. I do some business with the one in my area and they have been getting more business on that end through special order. They have sold turntables for a long time, and while they certainly not audiophile top of the line quality, they still will fill the need to a lot of average collectors, especially the ones who don't really get into the audiophile half speed master stuff. Can't really speak for all the Radio Shacks, just the two in my area.

Until Circuit City folded their tent, the one in my area actually had some nice turntables. Best Buy handles them, have not been in the one in my area in some time, but I've heard they have increased their inventory on 180 gram and other new release vinyl.

I'm like via chicago though regarding buying. There is STILL something to be said for dealing one on one with small stores. I do realize that a fair amount of readers on this forum live in smaller cities or rural areas and accessability to the mom and pop shops obviously is a problem so online and mail order businesses fit in here. Come to think of it, that subject might deserve a thread here!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
To be honest, the big boxes dont really pose much of a threat. Their vinyl selections are tiny and comprised of big name represses and a handful of pop artists. Thats about it. I think most people interested in vinyl have far more expansive (and niche) tastes than that, and are already shopping at the local places to begin with. (honestly, who buys music in a store that also sells refrigerators?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music