Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times

Advertisements

Wow, great bands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Traditionally, the recording industry doesn't really care about females that write, play, and sing their own tunes. The industry (and the general public) want hot looking babes to ogle and drool over.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM

You know, now that I think of it...I don't even know one girl who *seriously* collects records.
So maybe that expalins some of it?

And rock n' roll has always been about sex-appeal...of both sexes.

I think it's just more so for females.

Thus, names like booty and fanny and this and that.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Definitely a pioneering female musician and singer.
And Sister Rosetta could definitely play an instrument!
I have Sunny Afternoon on a 45.
Citizen, I always loved Wendy and Lisa--and they could play, too!
Like Wendy and Lisa, these ladies collaborated with male band members, but succeeded on their own merit/musicianship:
Back in 1969-1970 there was Judy Roderick fronting 60 Million Buffalo and she was also known as Judy Roderick and Friends.
And of course at the same time there was Candy Givens in the band Zephyr.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
You know, now that I think of it...I don't even know one girl who *seriously* collects records.
In the book "Incredibly Strange Music" there is an interview with a female record collector who goes into the reasons why the collecting subculture is so heavily male.

Quote:
So maybe that expalins some of it?

And rock n' roll has always been about sex-appeal...of both sexes.

I think it's just more so for females.

Thus, names like booty and fanny and this and that.
With the exceptions of Goldie & The Gingerbreads, Fanny, Isis, and some more obscure acts, there was a general presumption that girls in rock only sang and didn't play instruments ; young females could play instruments doing folk or country music, but not rock, until Suzi Quatro came along.

And while there women who played instruments in otherwise male rock bands in the 1960s, they were generally dismissed as being novelties (e.g. Ann Lantree in one-hit wonder, the Honeycombs, or Maureen Tucker in the Velvet Underground, who would have been one of the most controversial bands of the '60s even with a male drummer).

The only exception was The Duchess (Norma Jean Richardson) in Bo Diddley's band, an excellent guitarist who was also quite, quite sexy, and who was respected for her musicianship as well as for her looks. Can't think of any white female rock musician before Suzi who was respected for her playing ability in addition to her looks (and the Duchess was the only black female rock musician who got respect).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HICsPNm2ARY - Bo with the Duchess

The marketing of the Runaways and Slits had a great deal to do with sex appeal - as was the case with this fictitious all-female rock band in an early '70s film who may have been an inspiration for the Runaways:

YouTube - The Carrie Nations / Find It

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
In the book "Incredibly Strange Music" there is an interview with a female record collector who goes into the reasons why the collecting subculture is so heavily male.
Yeah, I remember that RE/Search Issue. Had Jello in it...talking about Heino ....though I don't remember the reasons that one female collector had.

Last edited by brubaker; 03-26-2010 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,688 times
Quote:
Yeah, I remember that RE/Search Issue. Had Jello in it...talking about
Heino ....though I don't remember the reasons that one female collector had.
I have this RE/Search Volume 2...great book. Might have been Candi Strecker with that quote from that book. I'm sure there are reasons why women would run from Heino....back to the subject thread at hand!

Last edited by newmex; 03-26-2010 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 09:28 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,688 times
Bebe Barron ( Scored soundtrack to Forbidden Planet with her husband Louis )

YouTube - forbidden planet

...and Delia Derbyshire ( her adaptation of Ron Grainer's Dr. Who theme, and The White Noise album, hard to find bizarre album I have on CD ) come to mind....

YouTube - 'Dr Who' Theme - BBC Radiophonic Workshop, The

Turn all the lights out before listening to the next one, your hair will stand on end...

YouTube - Delia Derbyshire - Love Without Sound (1969)

Last edited by newmex; 03-26-2010 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
NONE OF YOU BROUGHT IN VANILLA CHOC????????

TEENA MARIE

YouTube - "Lovergirl" by Teena Marie

I know her whole band wasn't female. But she could jam that bass while frontin' her band!

YouTube - Teena Marie - Square Biz

Old 03-27-2010, 12:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Yeah, I remember that RE/Search Issue. Had Jello in it...talking about
Heino ....though I don't remember the reasons that one female collector had.
She mentioned women usually having less disposable income and more responsibilities than men keeping them from being obsessive record collectors. Her particular specialty was collecting blatantly sexist records (which would include works from both the mainstream and underground)

Re: Heino, I think he deserves his own thread here! An Andy Warhol lookalike who sings German language songs about hanging out and drinking in Latin America as well as singing the "Deutschlandlied" in its entirety with the lyrics that were cut out after WW2 - makes one wonder who his target audience was? Certain German and Austrian "gentlemen" who wound up escaping to South America in the aftermath of the war? Not surprised he's semi-retired or retired as his target audience would be dying off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music